Pre-match: International Friendly: USMNT vs El Salvador; December 9th

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I'm with you, plenty of time between this game and the CCL game.

Atlanta might not release, because they just don't release anymore. But not because they have a CCL game almost a week later.

mike4066 repped this.
  2. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I would think the clubs would rather work with their players then fly them to a camp. COVID risk, injusry risk andloss of time practicing what the club wants from them.

In any case:
    If, ATL wont release as you speculate...they're out.
    MTL and LAFC are basically worthless from USMNT perspective

So NYFC:

S Johnson would probably start at this point, but hopefully NE loses and we get Turner

Sands is worthy, but coming off injury and hasn't played in months. NYFC don't want that.

Parks is a guy who might make the bench.

That's it at this point.

Doesn't really matter.

Patrick167 repped this.
  3. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why Duncan over an actual LB?
    I also think Blackmon might be worth a look from LAFC.

4. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Interesting

5. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Had a feeling this was going to happen. Nice.

6. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Blackmon is decent, but would be behind the 4 CBs I have, as well as the RBs (I have 5! on my roster).

Yes, I like Duncan at LB vs the current options...Vines and I guess Villafana? Duncan played there this year a couple times and was there in like half his games last year (and he was really good there last year in limited time).

7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    All right, it's Thanksgiving Day and I have some time to relax and give this push back some consideration.

So then, does the data of 2019 differ from 2020? Nope. 47 call-ups in 2019 per https://int.soccerway.com/teams/united-states/united-states-of-america/2281/

Has Berhalter insisted on the same 40 plus players? The data was a little hard to get here. I had to compare between wikipedia's call-ups of the last 12 months and soccerways 2019 players. I counted 67 total players.

I think that the data is objectively on the side of Berhalter casting a wide net.

nycfc919 repped this.
  8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Word on the fields is that he was paid a nice sum of money to lead the Mex U17s.

frankburgers repped this.
  9. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Anyone who thinks GB is somehow doing a bad job of going deep enough with the pool or not giving enough attention to dual nationals are being willfully dishonest or naive. Criticize him for his tactics etc but he’s been very strong regarding the pool.

TrueCrew, tomásbernal and deejay repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Efra had a total falling out with the USSF after he was booted from a U15 camp for breaking team rules. He did something stupid like break curfew. Can't remember. But anyway, Mexico pounced.

Since he played for Mexico at the U17WC he'd need to file a one-time switch to play for the USMNT. So he won't play in this friendly against El Salvador. But he can certainly be invited into the camp to see what being part of the USMNT is all about.

He certainly would be an option for the US U23s at the CONCACAF U23 championships as the overwhelming majority of Euros won't be available. Based on performance this past season would you select Jesus Ferreira or Efra Alvarez for that squad. Well...............Alvarez.

But he has to file a one time switch NOW if he wants FIFA to file paperwork in time. And I'm not quite sure why he'd do that.

The US is also, by the way, in regular contact with Alcala. The Mexico youth international that the Galaxy just brought into their organization. They're trying to convince him to switch.

gogorath repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    What we think we know so far.........................
    Of course, the availability of the FCD players depends upon their playoff progress.
    1332172143921139713 is not a valid tweet id

gogorath repped this.
  12. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    The long standing rumor is, he and another player repeatedly bullied another player in that team.

13. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    are the other parties still involved in youth/senior national team conversations?

14. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1332358733574311936 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman, gogorath and Clint Eastwood repped this.
  15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well, sure he would be a nice addition to the U23s but again I point to my (shameless plug time) dual national decision rules which work 99% of the time.

* If never capped, first come, first served.
    * If youth capped you only switch for a full NT cap. However, you nearly always switch for a full NT cap.

Therefore, he is being called up because he is in consideration for the full NT. Why would he be in consideration at this young age? Because he is a left footed wide player and could play a role opposite Pulisic. Similar to (ambidextrous) Boyd's call ups last year. Regardless of system, left footed players are always needed. We actually have quite a few young wide players but many of them have been injury prone and wing spots are still open for the taking. Crucially, we have only a couple of high quality, fully developed wingers. Mexico, meanwhile has a fair number of established players in that position.

16. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    after miles robinson was injured last year on nt duty atlanta they said that they werent going to release any players unless required to (meaning official fifa dates- which this camp will not be).

now, maybe they changed their mind. maybe it was tata or de boer who decided on that policy.

but until i hear or see differently im not counting on any atl players.

tomásbernal repped this.
  17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm counting on them. They must have realized it was an overreaction. Players can get injured playing anywhere. And this is better prep for ccl than sitting on their butts for a month ahead of time.

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even w/out that he may well not be worth the headache. Fool's gold player like Adu, Carleton, & Gil. Suspect fitness, athleticism, & attitude.

I would bet on the athletic guy, who is competitive, & has adequate but not good skill to develop well enough. Why I was always more concerned if the US lost Araujo.

frankburgers and USSoccerNova repped this.
  19. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would this really be a bad loss though? With Dest, Cannon, and now potentially Reynolds going to Europe, where does Araujo fit in this team?

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it would. He can play a multitude of positions & he's as talented (more than Cannon) as those players.

EXALIFTIN and USSoccerNova repped this.
  21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whats mexicos right back depth look like?

22. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprised Atlanta let Bello go, I thought they had a policy of not releasing players

23. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    He’s “more talented” than Cannon?

Maybe at some other time, but there are reasons Cannon is playing 90 in a better league by a team sizing him up for a CL-level club from a top league. Araujo may well do better, but the talent scouts have put their money where their mouths are and put their money on Cannon, not Araujo.

deejay and EXALIFTIN repped this.
  24. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Depth allows for competition. Form should dictate who plays and who sits on the bench.

EXALIFTIN repped this.
  25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the reasons are Cannon is 22 not 19 and played at FC Dallas not LA Galaxy. Those clubs are polar opposite in terms of hospitability toward youth. Still, Araujo played a lot at 17 and seized a starting spot at 18-19. Cannon had literally played 1 pro minute at Araujo's current age.

According to Twellman, Araujo's one of the players he gets asked about the most by European scouts. He's on a much better trajectory than Cannon.

USSoccerNova repped this.