PBP: International Friendly: USA vs Uruguay; September 10th

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Sebsasour, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It's amazing how clueless they look for the vast majority of games. The lack of continuity is astounding.

Sam Hamwich repped this.
  2. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I cannot wait to read Matt Doyle's column tomorrow about "just how freaking good Jackson Yueill was compared to European players" when, in fact, he was serviceable until they finally decided to start marking him around the 25th minute after which we never heard his name for the rest of the match.

FWIW, I think the game was fine, we just didn't learn anything. After halftime Uruguay looked like they switched away from the 4-3-3 leaving the US devoid of ideas.

People on twitter are tossing the xG stat around (USA 1.73, URU 1.05), but according to John Strong .75 of that is from Tyler Boyd's whiff, so the match was closer (and more boring) than the stat suggests.

Ghost repped this.
  3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We looked pretty good; I’ll bet the expected goals are in our favor, and that won’t be counting the missed PK.

But Uruguay looked very tepid.

Dest defends like Zardes attacks. When he messes up, he does so in epic, spectacular fashion.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    It was, heavily, but a lot of that weight came from Boyd's fluffed chance.

5. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I cant tell if Boyd is not that good, or Berhalter is just in over his head. Probably both

jnielsen repped this.
  6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Wha'd i miss?

[​IMG]

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lion head needs to be edited to Bradley’s face and it would be perfect.

Girt and jnielsen repped this.
  8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    ha! i wish I had thought of that!

9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can’t even take credit for it. I saw someone do it in one of the threads in here. Took me a sec to realize what I was looking at. Would be perfect cap off to your summer blockbuster.

10. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    cant really see it:

[​IMG]

Girt, Feraligatr19 and truefan420 repped this.
  11. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    pomykal made you forget about yueill in 5 minutes

if the outcome of this is the opposite, then you see where this is just ideas in someone's head that have nothing to do with how the players actually look

one guy created danger, took people on, the other guy completed a modest percent of passes for a supposed passer, and then we got abused in the midfield on defense

fwiw yueill is back on the goal but is sufficiently clueless he leaves long on his own

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    boyd, like dest, seems currently to have one specific use -- and to suck at other things -- but since he had that one game berhalter is stuck on the wrong side of his pecking order with him

players with a specific use are good as tactical subs

why can't bradley dest and all these others go ride the bench and come off when we need "back who can't defend but has a monster shot" or "forward who can't cross but can cut in and has a monster shot" or "longballing DM who can't defend." situationally that is useful for 20 minutes down a goal or up 2 goals. but in a 0-0 game at the first whistle they are nightmare scenarios.

based on these games it should be morris wide right backed up by weah and/or boyd

13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    roldan is high effort but the actual product ain't much. 15 caps without a goal or assist as an attacking player should send you to pasture. when you lose 3-0 and 1-0 and tie 1-1 you should be looking for more offense.

also, tells me what i need to know that the goal comes up his same side and consists of lima fighting up that wing. what we need is speed, precision, and/or grit.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do these two things have to do with one another?

15. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s the state of US Soccer in a nutshelll...

16. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Man, on MLS they are really getting happy about the USMNT against Uruguay D team.

Many of the objectives JK tried and was roasted for are now happening (and poorly executed) under Beerholder and MLS guys are sprouting happy boners.

Geez, stop the marketing. Everyone here knows this fact: This might be the worst USMNT we have seen since the 1980's compared to the competition. These players are just not good enough. And it's not their fault! They just don't have the competition and the coaching moving up through the years.

And it's not just me saying this, so is every single MLS team manager, GM and owner. The key to winning in MLS is now: who has the best latin/foreign guys at the best margin?

17. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Well either Boyd isnt very good in his favored position, or the tactics Berhalter uses dont suit his strengths. I lean towards the former because Boyd cant do anything on the ball without taking 6 touches.

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Whenever that happens, Berhalter needs to shout in a British accent, "That's a soccer ball, and you've had your six."

19. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    don't bother with doyle go with the scuffed podcast he'll tell you how pulisic isn't the one who can't play everyone else did something positive but pulisic is years in and has yet to make a positive play during a match.