Pre-match: International Friendly: USA vs Netherlands; March 26th 2020

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm worried they are going to take away our fresh air privileges the way things are going.
    https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Oregon-reports-13-news-coronavirus-cases-total-15143618.php

Oregon Gov. Kate Brown said Thursday in a call with the news media that she doesn't currently plan to issue a statewide order for people to shelter in place to slow the spread of coronavirus.

She said, however, that if Oregonians don't take the social distancing measures seriously, she may have to consider such a step.

So I take my daily walk, alone, to Washington Park in Portland and the entrance to Washington Park has some dumb lady running up and down the stairs that are the main entrance to the park making a big deal out of getting exercise. So I do my best to get around her and I pick out the first big, broad street I can find to continue my ascent in the park. As I'm walking up this road which is 3 car lanes wide, I feel something behind me and here comes one of those manic bikers with the helmet, the speedos etc. huffing and puffing up hill and making absolutely no effort at all to stay any distance away from me when he has the whole frikkin 3 lanes to play with.

I saw an Italian post at one point saying that USA had no chance of escaping the virus because Americans are so self absorbed. She is probably right, sad to say. It pisses me off because we aren't getting back to normal with this kind of stupid.

Patrick167 repped this.
  2. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I was thinking this too. I'm sure all these pro clubs, like the NBA teams here, have already tested all their players and staff. If we they can stay isolated, then playing outside with other players that have been tested should be minimal exposure.

Test the refs and get rid of all superflous personnel around the sidelines. Put up nets to keep the ball in, it is not going to obstruct views.

Then use CGI to overlay on the TV feed a crowd. Give the game a one minute delay so the crowd can be changed from different crowd states (cheering, singing, whistling the ref, cheering a goal).

It becomes a stage product for TV. But, quarantine without sports is going to get old fast. I don't know if the players in the empty stadium need noise or anything. Most of their lives they played in front of minimal crowds and performed just fine.

3. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    This was a tough game to watch. The ball (even though it was yellow) couldn't be seen well, the USA players, wearing white, could hardly been seen. The camera angle was also strange, maybe the higher cameras couldn't see? Or it wasn't safe to depoy cameramen to their usual spots?

Glad they are at least putting these things out and having some wrap around content.

4. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah. I put it on for a few minutes, but I could barely see the ball. Combination of small screen, bad resolution, and just a wee bit of snow. I did watch the goal. Loved Clint's reaction to that one.

With no emotion in it, it's definitely a classic, but watching it, a bit shameful. This match should have been stopped.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Could've scored 8 on those Dutch. We showed mercy. We didn't want to embarrass them in front of their women.