Pre-match: International Friendly: USA vs Netherlands; March 26th 2020

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Feb 1, 2020.

1. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    If Egg were smart, he'd put out his "hypothetical" squad featuring BS approved players, and minus old guys/Lovitz/Zardes/Sean Johnson/Trapp.

Then he has everyone in his corner with player selection that he doesn't even have to use!

TimB4Last repped this.
  2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Bob Bradley did that (i.e. trolled BS) once, but in an actual match.

3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This place is going to go stir crazy really quickly. I can't wait to read all the posts in 6 months about how Berhalter should have called up x, y, and z players in March. Or, how if he'd started calling x, y, and z players in 2019 then they'd be prepped and ready to throw them into action in qualifiers. Oh, if only he had the foresight to predict covid-19!

TOAzer repped this.
  4. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder, though, if all the soccer leagues shut down (which seems likely to happen as of today), will national teams perhaps be allowed to call an extended closed camp just to train together?

5. Nope. Players for national teams are in different countries and many in severly affected countries. These will not be allowed to travel.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Those Dutch avoided a world class arse-whipping.

Scotty, majspike, SteelyTom and 5 others repped this.
  7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Clearly, we would have won 6-0. Now that we will never play this game, I am very confident in that.

8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Other cancelled US matches:

-October 2007 against Catalonia in Barcelona - cancelled (IIRC) for political reasons among FIFA/Spain/Catalonia
    -February 2010 against Egypt in Cairo - cancelled because of the anti-Mubarak protests.

Winoman repped this.
  9. Phewww,that was a near miss:)

10. Wow, you should have qualified for WC2018. That should have teached Pvtin to behave.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Brazil-Germany, 2014. Cillessen, on his knees, after yet another US goal, staring upward in pained anguish. And around the stadium, orange-clad fans stare in disbelief at the masterwork of the new hegemon.

TOAzer repped this.
  12. I already suspected I slipped through a black hole into a parallell universe.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  13. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just knock over the book and the little girl will change History....;)

14. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to????? o_O:cautious::whistling:

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I get the feeling Garber got it about right suspending MLS for 1 month. They might make an adjustment to the planned resumption date in 3/4 wks but in any case we should have a pretty good idea how to manage things by then. I am assuming the leadership will be there to get things done but you'll need to follow the political thread for that.

We could start zeroing in on may/june(?) camp ahead of LON/Euros.
    However, it seems more likely that domestic leagues resume than international competitions, which present more uncertainties to the bureaucracy.

16. Well, to fill the soccer void I'm going to watch vids of the Orange 1974, 1978, 1988 and 1996 campaigns.

TOAzer, Winoman and Pegasus repped this.
  17. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll probably ask them the questio: "What have you done for me lately?" ;)

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Is there any data on how many of the cases of corona infection in Nederland were among people who had attended a soccer match in the relevant past?

I think it might become useful info because here I see that even those advocating a "herd immunity" approach have a reluctance when it comes to sports events

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

How about soccer games with no yelling (the cheering would be piped in, like a dumb TV sitcom with canned laughter) and social spacing? I'm desperate here.

19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This gives me an idea! What if they live-fed home watching audio into the stadium via speakers, and then back to the tv via the broadcast? Since there would be no one in stadium, there's no need for a timed delay. Could it be done? Could be interesting.

20. Afaik none. Most of the Dutch were infected by either going to Italy or Spain or being in contact with someone from there or been there and carnival party goers.

21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah, they should have grounded the planes long ago. China is putting anybody disembarking from a plane in 14 day quarantine.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm thinking fans spaced apart with noise machines so they don't open their mouths and piped in cheering.

I know it doesn't sound great but if it gets us thru a month or two so we can save the season, it might work.

We need to start thinking about the "new normal' because we are not going to go on with people hunkered down permanently in their houses and nobody working. I'm just worried they mite get back to normal with the exception of soccer and other sporting events.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad they didn't do that right away so that they didn't export the problem around the globe.