Pre-match: International Friendly: USA vs Netherlands; March 26th 2020

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Feb 1, 2020.

1. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    To be fair, a search of "pick any word" posted by juvechelsea you get a pages long list and the bulk of it consist of throwing it in while it has nothing to do with what you were posting about.

Trust me. He'll be fine. Plenty of other things to post unreadable long slabs of text about.

tomásbernal and DHC1 repped this.
  2. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    he’s going to report you, dlokteff!!!

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  3. Oh dear.I'm doomed.

4. Anyway, this weekend a possible confrontation of Dest with Orange players in the march match because Ajax hosts AZ in a battle to keep them at bay.
    Both teams came out of the winterstop with meh results (I'm not complaining as it did give my club the chance after a disastrous season start to catch up on both teams and if things go the way I like it we might end march with the top spot) so both have something to prove.
    Dest could face a left wing back Wijndal charging down the sideline to support Idrissi, but that also gives Dest the chance to take advantage of his speed to penetrate when Wijndal is out of position.

Excellency repped this.
  5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be right about Blackmon, but to say Zimmerman was discarded is incorrect. They sold him for $1.25m in mls funny money, which i think is a league record at this point.

Atouk and TOAzer repped this.
  6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    It was lower than that and could escalate to that, but is over several years.

Being sold for cap space is not the same as being sold for real money. Expansion teams also have a lot of funny money, and they usually are not shy about overspending.

But, like Nagbe with Atlanta, they didn't have to do it. LAFC didn't need the money or cap space and would not have done it if they were going to start Zimmerman. They didn't start him in the playoffs, iirc, preferring Blackmon.

Maybe discarding is the wrong term...Lovitz was discarded, but Zimmerman was just beaten out for the job and worth more in GAM than as a bench player. However you phrase it, LAFC and Bob Bradley are convinced Blackmon is the better player.

Lovitz, Trapp, Zimmerman would all be out of jobs in MLS as starters without expansion. They all have logged multiple starts and many minutes with Gregg. We saw with Arena, that not only did he call in mostly MLS players, but rarely called in the best players at the position based on league play.

Gregg has an ongoing talent ID problem. With all the injuries, the roster for this friendly could include Trapp and Lovitz and Zimmerman. Then there is one more camp and then the Hex. In the Hex, we will see the same three relied upon because, "they know the system and Gregg is comfortable with them." Same mistakes, different coach.

If this roster comes out, and those three are not on it, then maybe we are seeing something different than Arena 2.0.

nobody, yurch10, gunnerfan7 and 2 others repped this.
  7. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    per carlisle berhalter confirmed reyna will be with sr team for the friendlies.

Dr.Phil, gunnerfan7, Patrick167 and 2 others repped this.
  8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    McIntyre x2.

9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    There's a lot of assumptions in here, namely that LAFC doesn't need the allocation money or that LAFC/Bradley are convinced that Blackmon is the better player.

There's almost no transparency to cap situations, so we don't know where LAFC are, what people they feel they will need to re-up contractually, etc.

I haven't seen any commentary regarding Zimmerman and Blackmon from the club, either. And since LAFC just traded back some of the allocation money for first place on the Allocation List, it looks like they may have had someone targeted.

Your assumptions aren't necessarily true, and so the rest doesn't necessarily follow.

tomásbernal and IndividualEleven repped this.
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The amount Zimmerman went for would indicate he was regarded as an elite MLS defender.

Also, he had a head injury late in the season, so missed some time. Blackmon didn't beat him out.

tomásbernal repped this.
  11. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gregg Berhalter did an AMA today and was asked

[​IMG]

I believe referring to this guy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Cardoso

An 18 year old kid who has 4 caps this season for Internacional in Brazil. Per my understanding he's a #6. Tyler Adams and Michael Bradley are hurt, and Jackson Yueill will be in Guadalajara with the U23s.

I wonder if he's getting a callup.

12. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why would you not this its this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jhonny_Lucas ?

says hes brazilian, play with durkin, maybe hes eligible? look, i dont know anything about either of them, but if berhalter doesnt know his name i cant think hes all that close...whichever one hes talking about. maybe some other jhonny altogether...

13. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe though we know the one I listed is an American and played for our U23s in October. The mispelling could just be a typo. He is a Johnny Lucas.

With our injuries at the 6 it would be a good time to call in a young dual nat who's just breaking through.

14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Any chance Kik Pierie could get a look? I doubt he’s getting called into the Dutch side for this match.

what do people think his ceiling is?

15. DHC1 repped this.
  16. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Yep...both of those guys previously mentioned are #6’s, and you know Berhalter has to be ecstatic about having a Brazilian #6. Nice job scouting by the Nats.

17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Thanks for the links. So, Pierie was a first team player at SC Heerenveen and then joined Jong Ajax? Is that common?

the articles didn't mention anything about the Dutch national team but I think it's got to be a long shot. Is he getting called for youth events?

18. Well, he joined with the intention to be first team player, but for some reason they (Ten Hag/Overmars/vderSar decided he should acclimatize in the Young team. i personally think it's stupid, but I've a liking for Kik as a player.

https://www.transfermarkt.nl/kik-pierie/nationalmannschaft/spieler/361207
    National team career

#
    National teamxxxxxxxxxDebutxxxxxCoach at debutxxxxx Age at debut

5 [​IMG] Netherlands U20 Sep 5, 2019 3 - Bert Konterman 19 years 01 month 16 days
    14 [​IMG] Netherlands U19 Sep 1, 2017 10 - Maarten Stekelenburg 17 years 01 month 12 days
    - [​IMG] Netherlands U17 Sep 9, 2016 14 - Kees van Wonderen 16 years 01 month 20 days
    - [​IMG] Netherlands U16 Sep 10, 2015 9 - Edwin Petersen 15 years 01 month 21 days
    - [​IMG] Netherlands U15 Feb 12, 2015 3 - Peter van Dort 14 years 06 months 23 days

19. The Orange team is a long shot as Koeman can put on the pitch a complete team composed of just central defenders ranging in age from 17 to 28.
    So he has ahead of him competition older than him but in the younger range too.

20. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you can easily see a parallel with Ike Opara going to Minnesota United. Opara doesn't all of a sudden suck as a player.

Zimmerman's an OK player. I don't think he's going to get any better playing on a worse MLS team, that's for sure.

21. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    If SKC had traded Opara to let EPB start, what would we think about their views on the players? Was it telling that Dax was traded to make room for Adams?

Zimmerman was traded to make room for a younger CB who is American. The point wasn't that Zimmerman sucks, it is that he was called into January camp and Blackmon was not. Makes little sense.

22. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Rumor seems to be that it's more likely Zimmerman was traded to make room for Andy Najar, who seems likely to sign and play at RB fairly soon.

But I like Blackmon as well. It's just that it's much more complex that you are making it. Salary cap space has very real value.

23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm putting together a hypothetical 23 right now (wild Friday night), and you know it's bleak with injuries and Olympic call-ups when I have Kellyn Acosta and Joel Sonora on the squad.

In reality, Trapp and Roldan will be there instead, but I could make an argument.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Must have been wilder than wild, as we're still waiting. Please have those 23 names to us by first thing Monday morning. Off you go now, and step lively!

25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -No Pulisic, Adams, Weah, Lichaj, Steffen, Servania, Bello, Holmes, Ebobisse, or Antonee Robinson due to injury.
    -No Lennon or Robinson for Olympics.
    -No first team YA players either: CCV, EPB, Reyna, McKennie, Cappis, Sabbi, Sargent, or Durkin
    -Gloster, Mendez, De la Torre, Ledezma, Llanez, Konrad, Vassilev, and Richards are debatable for the Olympics.
    -Otasowie, Tessman, Miljevic, Bassett, Johnny, and Pepi not included in preliminary Olympic roster.
    -Reyna included on senior roster.

Olympic Roster
    GK Marcinkowski, Ochoa, Freese
    RB Cannon, Araujo
    CB Glad, McKenzie, Trusty, Richards* (Keita)
    LB Vines, Gloster (Herrera)
    M6 Yuiell, Sands
    MF Aaronson, Mendez (Mihailovic > Parks)
    MF Pomykal, Ledezma (Mihailovic > Parks)
    RW Konrad*, Sabbi*
    FW Ferreira, Toye
    LW Llanez*, Vassilev*
    Order of wing replacements: 1. Saucedo*, 2. Lewis, 3. Fernandez, 4. Michel, 5. Perez

—Llanez——Ferreira——-Konrad—-
    ———Pomykal—-Aaronson————-
    ——————-Yuiell————————
    Vines——————————(C)Cannon
    ——McKenzie———Glad—————-
    —————Marcinkowski——————

Senior Team
    GK Hamid, Turner, Horvath
    RB Yedlin, Moore
    CB Brooks, Miazga, Alvarado, Ream
    LB Dest, Gasper
    M6 Morales, Durkin