[International Friendly] Korea vs Russia 2017/10/07 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Oct 6, 2017.

1. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    Are we talking about the same "무전술" Stielike here? Can you tell me exactly what Stielike brought tactically? The team literally had no idea what to do on offense except to pass sideways and backwards. Not sure where this revisionism is coming from. STY is bad, but he is at least trying to make the team play faster, with more one touch and pattern passing.

This is what Koo said a few days after the Russia match:

"Results are important, but it's also important to build on the positive aspects we saw in the Russia match. There were a few instances where the team demonstrated pattern plays, which is something that the NT has not been able to do recently. We have to continue to improve on the positive like this. The NT doesn't have much time to train together, so it's important to be patient and continue to work on these 'pattern plays'."

Koo is basically throwing shade on Stielike here, saying that the team did not have any pre-planned patterns of play under Stielike. It's ludicrous that Stielike never worked on that, and a bit weird to me that you apparently did not recognize this. As lacking as STY is, Stielike did not even do the most basic shit like setting up patterns of play, and it was readily apparent from how the team was playing - how they were passing, building up, creating chances. Sticking up for Stielike is laughable and shows that you haven't really understood what it is that he fcked up during his tenure.

12th Player, aeh1991 and Ice cube repped this.
  2. TaegukRedDevil

Jan 30, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    What's the point of having "setting up patterns of play" when the team doesn't play any better if not worse than Stielike's team

hanul21 and Bom23 repped this.
  3. Bom23

Bom23 Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Oh shut up. People are really blinded by their desire to believe they are never wrong.. Quit it with your irrational and biased statements like "sty is trying to make the team play faster more one touch passing"... and wtf even is "pattern passing?" Is STY on the training ground saying "Ki pass to Koo here, and Kwon make a run here and then put in a cross?" Because if that is what you're thinking, then STY is an even poorer coach than I thought indeed. In my experience, these types of dry coaching methods only inhibit creativity and intelligence...Guardiola would not ever these types of drills, he (Stielike also) try to make players play with greater intelligence and positional awareness.

Watch this clip of KNT under Stielike against Spain and tell me honestly if today's game showed "better passing, one touch play, 'pattern' passing.." ridiculous..

chook90 repped this.
  4. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    I didn't say that. Koo said that, and "pattern play" are his words verbatim. What he's saying is that he believes that the team now at least has some idea of what to do on offense - making runs, one twos, whatever. I don't know what is that you experienced (you're probably bullshitting and don't actually have any experience) but top teams absolutely do drill patterns, though obviously not in the way you describe. It's not about micromanaging every single decision on the pitch; it's basically just setting up a guideline of movement and passing that you and your teammates both know about.

And no, I'm not impressed by that video at all. Not only is the passing and movement in that video not even that remarkable, it was more than a year and half into his tenure. Most importantly, things actually got worse from there. We were playing like absolute dogshit in the WCQ and lost against China and Qatar in the last round. How well were we passing then? STY hasn't fcked up that badly just yet.

chook90 repped this.
  5. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #155 takeuchi, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Revisionism? None from me.. at least my perspective/opinion was constant. As for Stielike, the standard 4-2-3-1 w/ emphasis on possession (meaningless, slow and etc) was apparent.

Shin TY? Hardly none of it. Play faster? More one touch & pattern passing? Again, I completely disagree. The only thing Shin TY does is switch around formations... that doesn't mean "tactical" knowledge or understanding "tactics". It has been nothing but mess.. eventually resorting to long balls or relying on one great individual (Lee SW in U20 WC) to save him. Also, I will argue whatever "tactical" input has or direction he has given to players.. have only lead to more confusion (again, it shows from U20 WC, Olympics and KNT atm) as none of it.. imo, based on his comments.. if you add them all up, doesn't make sense as it contradicts himself or each statement.

As for Koo JC comment, the "recently" part could just mean the past 1 yr under Uli Stielike.. of which, I agree... it was shambolic. He was speaking a different tune during 2015 Asian Cup.

edit - Uli Stielike = tactically predictable mess
    Shin TY = clueless without clear plan A (or any real plan) mess

TaegukRedDevil repped this.
  6. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    The problem with Stielike's style was that it almost completely lacked any kind of actual detail. Think about how the team played under him, especially in the final stage of qualifying. The players were passing and then not moving. No runs, no moving into space, no switching, no one twos, etc. That's what KJC is talking about here, and also the reason why there was so much pointless passing with Stielike. Anybody can ask a team to pass a lot. That's not enough. Unless you actually work on the fine details of a system that's supposed to copy Spain's, it's not going to work, especially when your players aren't the best.

The one thing we can see more of with STY is guys at least trying to set something up. Sure, it's been shit, but they're at least practicing something. Do you recall any of that happening under Stielike? How many moments do you recall our players actually carrying out something that was pre-planned in training? His offensive philosophy was literally just "keep passing until something happens".

Again, I don't care for STY. I just think people talking about how "we shouldn't have sacked him" are out of their minds.

Hodori repped this.
  7. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #157 takeuchi, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

from my perspective, while Uli was tactically dull... Shin TY is nothing but tactical "confusion" to players. just because you see players "trying" doesn't mean tactical superiority, especially when it is clear it is nothing but a mess in offense & defense with no clear plan. to me, a tactical confusion is worse than a guy who is tactically dull.

edit - as for the sacking part, 100% agreed... however, not for Shin TY. at the same time, while I absolutely can't stand Shin TY, I don't see the point of sacking him if the whole focus is just for 2018 World Cup. doesn't matter who the manager is at this point, results at the WC will more or less be the same. if KFA is willing to reform & look beyond w/ long term plan... preparing for the next Asian Cup, Asian Games, 2020 Olympics and for 2022 WC, they should definitely change manager while cleaning house at the KFA.