[International Friendly] Korea vs Russia 2017/10/07 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    But to be fair the match was pretty even untll the two owns goals....

jessypjs, seolseol and ConcernedK repped this.
  2. Bom23

Bom23 Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Would you be saying that if Stielike was in charge... no you would be slaughtering him. Are you seriously defending that shambolic performance in which we were 4-0 down at one point?? Revisionism is real... Everyone on this forum is too prideful to admit that they were wrong to believe that sacking Stielike would be the best move going forward. Meanwhile, I am/will be proven right.

Rob_Brighton repped this.
  3. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    huh? the 3-0 was largely due to a dumbass we had in our back, not beacouse of mother Russia was playing so well.

4. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Stielike era had run its course. It didn't take a rocket science to see that he wasn't a good fit for us. And I'm one of the more conservative posters here in terms of managerial change.

5. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    At this point with our defenders, we might as well just stick Kim Shin Wook at CB, Park Joo Ho at LCB, and that young Jeonbuk fellow KMG (I know he struggled in this game, or that's what I'm hearing) at RCB and hope for the best. Can't be worse than this debacle.

And I'm half-joking/half-serious about KSW at CB. We can't defend for sh*t. Might as well have a physical enforcer in there and have a useful corner kick target. And yes, I am very aware KSW would be a complete disaster as a CB but YOLO

6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Member

Jun 11, 2013
    To be honest, Korea couldn't link two passes and the offense had no ideas/creativity on build up play.

Not sure how you can watch that match and think Korea played well... LOL

It doesn't matter if Russia also played bad, and you think Korea did "ok" relative to them (they still scored 4 goals on us by the way). We are going to get wiped out (straight up embarrassed) if we play like this against WC competition.

TaegukRedDevil repped this.
  7. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    This can be said about most of our games in the past years... :cry:

8. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    pretty much our history except WC 2002, WC 2010, and Cho KR

9. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Do you care more about being proven right? I'd rather be proven wrong (even if this involves ridicule toward me) if it turns into "wins" for KNT.

10. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Kmj isn't even in the squad atm...

11. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I didn't watch the Russian game or watched the highlights. Thought he played.

12. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    KNT from previous era would be controlling midfield and poking holes galore in offense. We can't seem to connect passes whereas Russia was able to weave around our midfield and defense with ease. Our only way of compensating is to scramble and hustle in defense which hasn't worked in Asia and didn't work against Russia and will definitely not work at the World Cup.

Now that there is almost no chance of Hiddink taking the helm, this is going to be a shi@show. The political KFA BS is going to continue. The rot will get worse and Korea will be pushed further behind Japan, Australia, Iran and be forced to compete with Qatar, China, Saudi Arabia for the peripheral WC spot.

Watch for Lee Dong Guk, Kim Byungji, or some other KFA loyalists start moving into KFA leadership roles.

13. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    A bit of a revisionist history, no? Maybe against the poor Asian sides but KNT for one have never been a side that can "poke holes galore in offense."

But I do agree with you that our midfield use to dominate possessions against weaker and NTs that are about par with us. But we would always complain about how we couldn't use our 60% possession into anything meaningful.

14. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nah, no K-league players were selected.

15. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    STY might not be the right replacement but that doesn't mean keeping Stielike was the right choice either.

Seol Korea and skimmilk repped this.
  16. Bom23

Bom23 Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Sacking Stielike to hire STY was the wrong choice. Sacking Stielike to hire someone else may or may not have been better.
    Sure.

17. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

To be fair, we actually connected a good number of passes in the first 20 minutes. IMO we had a few great chances too, especially the one shot where SHM linked up with KCH. Other than that, terrible performance.

LeeSeungWoo repped this.
  18. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    Even if STY somehow does worse than Stilieke (which I doubt), it doesn't change the fact that sacking him was the right choice.

The team was getting worse under Stielike, even though he was in charge for over three years. There were no signs that things would get better under him given the lack of change over such a long period of time. The chance of us succeeding with Stilieke was effectively close to zero. In that case, it was clearly the sensible choice to take the risk on a new manager in such a case. The only problem was that it happened too late.

Think about it like this. You have stage 4 cancer, and chemo and radiation therapy are doing nothing. Doctors say you have three months to live and that the chance of survival is zero. But the doctor just offered you a new drug, just starting trials, which might be able to save you. It could also make things worse and shorten your three months. Do you take the drug? Of course you do. It's the same thing with Uli.

Ice cube repped this.
  19. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Why the doubt? Hasn't he done stuff much worse compared to Stielike already? From bizarre roster call ups to 0 shot on target on goal.. at home.. vs 10 players. The team .. imo, has gotten worse under Shin TY... granted, the margin/difference is small & only 3 games so far.

20. ConcernedK

ConcernedK Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Club:
    Busan I Park
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Apparently mods here love to censor the truth, regardless if the truth hurts some feelings here.

21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I will wait to see Iran v Russia today to make any more definitive statements, but my impression is that neither Russia nor S.Korea came away looking all that bright after their match. At this point, I wouldn't put any money on either side at the World Cup.

The Russians were simply fortunate against S.Korea and didn't impress at all. Indeed, for a while, the Russians were bad enough to make the Koreans actually look decent. But while Russia never looked all that great, S.Korea looking decent didn't last long either: S.Korea soon remembered to play the part of an amateur squad and began to play that part really well.

The truth is that the Korean defense in particular has been awful for some time and seems to be getting only worse. If that defensive vulnerability was a sign of S.Korea being offensive minded and clicking offensively, it would be one thing. But that is not the case at all. S.Korea aren't all that impressive in any of the lines, and tactically they are somewhat cautious and even timid, but their defense still sucks. Unless S.Korea fixes that problem, the World Cup can turn into a disaster for them.

22. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Against the RUssian side we played? Hell yea we would've dominated midfield. WE would've poked holes and created chances. We may not have capitalized those chances but would have our chances

23. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    I didn't want STY to take this job either, but I just don't think he's going to do that poorly if he gets a long tenure like Stielike. STY is better tactically and will likely be more popular with the players than Uli. This isn't praise for STY. Uli, especially towards the end, was just that bad in just about every aspect of managing. STY took over at rock bottom and has made some questionable decisions, but Stielike lost to China and Qatar. Nothing STY has done up to this point is quite on that level imo. As you said it's only been three games. and he hasn't had much time to improve a fcked up NT. He's most likely going to go down in flames in the WC, but I still don't think it'll be as bad as the Stielike era.

Honestly, we should forget about Stielike already. It was a bad idea to hire him. We all know it. Now he's gone. Let's move on.

24. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    it's because you are spewing nationalistic and racist sh*t around here. Maybe be normal for once and be a good contributor instead of telling us your fears here all the time.

Sons of Thunder repped this.
  25. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I disagree on this notion or argument of Shin TY being better "tactically". I haven't seen any evidence to suggest he is imo..... & will argue, he is just clueless. Uli tactics was old + bad... Shin TY just doesn't have any imo. The guy is full of "talk".. especially on his "attacking football philosophy" but they never make sense (leading to more confusion for players).