[International Friendly] Korea vs Czech Republic 2016/06/05 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Jun 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    ive given up on lee seunggi that guy should have been a great player but hes always either injured or recovering his form after an injury. he could have easily had the career of koo jachul. now hed be lucky if he had the career of lee myungju

chook90 and Chingoo repped this.
  2. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    I totally forgot about LSG. He was called up by HMB a couple of times and played like 2 minutes and just disappeared,

3. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Good thing about Lee Seung Gi is that he plays for Jeonbuk so when Lee Jae Sung leaves, they'll have a pretty good replacement.

4. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    He is lucky enough that Sangju plays, unfortunately, in the K league...

5. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It wasn't that long ago (ok, 6 years is sort of long) when we were lamenting his injury in the leadup to the 2010WC. I think it was against Belarus he got injured, and we all sympathized with him because he's essentially been playing with a disability for most of his career.

At this point I almost feel better seeing KTH's name in the starting XI. Better the devil you know..

6. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    You're generalizing way too much. Absolute BS? That doesn't make sense even based on what you wrote. It's not that rare to find families who's ancestors 3, 4 generations back who held government post and other direct verifications of lineage not to mention clan property like estates, burial mountains, etc.

7. Chorok

Chorok Member+

Mar 10, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Sorry to derail thread again, but being the geek that I am, I enjoy talking about these kinds of things lol.

Yes it's true many families' trees (족보) are falsified and the historical relevance or importance of your surname means jack squat nowadays. But in the past, even as recent as my parents' generation, it was important for the "sunbi" or "yangban" class families to marry into only other true "yangban"families, and people would look into the families' reputation and history in the region before arranging marriages. Remember, it's only been about 120 years since the class system was abolished (although the mindset persisted even longer) and everyone was allowed to have surnames.

Also, one surname does not = one clan. People of the same surname (even if spelled with the same hanja) can be divided into dozens of smaller clans that can trace their origins independently. For example, the surname 정 (Jung/Jeong/Chung) can be either spelled 鄭 or 丁 or 程 in hanja, each of which can be even further subdivided into their geographic origin, or 본 (what we typically think of as your "clan"). Derivatives of these are called 파 (which is probably a closer translation to the English word "clan") and are used to describe smaller subdivisions or clans that broke off from the main 본. When we describe our surname as eg. 전주 이씨, the 전주 refers to your 본 from the city of Jeonju where that clan traditionally resided and 이 as the Lee surname. You also likely belong to a smaller 파 which relates more closely to your direct kin. So the order goes 성 --> 본 --> 파, although we only typically care about the first two.

It's interesting to go through your family tree and I encourage everyone to do it. Whether it was forged by one of your ancestors in the past or not, it does not matter anymore, and you may as well be part of that clan now lol.

In my case, I'm the 33rd generation of a small clan of about 25 000. Most of my male cousins of my generation end their names with Jin (진) because that's our "character" (돌림) for this generation, although it's not a strict rule and some choose not to follow it or also use it for their female children. Both me and my sister end our names with 진. On the top of a hill somewhere in Korea, there's a clan grave where my great-great-whatever-grandfather is buried, and all his children and their children are buried below him coming down the hillside. The premade grave spots are supposed to be reserved well in advance of your death so that you can be buried below your parents, but I think at this point, they've run out of room for me haha. A little creepy, but that's my family history.

...so that soccer game huh?

iunlock, TaegukWarrior and datschge repped this.
  8. Chorok

Chorok Member+

Mar 10, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Aren't you guys basically saying the same thing? That the majority of records may have been falsified in the past, but families can trace it back directly if they have been living in the same region for generations?

9. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    if longer name wasnt an indication of aristocracy and class, why do naturalized white people in korea have 5 syllable and 6 syllable names. check mate atheists

Sons of Thunder repped this.
  10. Chorok

Chorok Member+

Mar 10, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    #535 Chorok, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    lol I know you're being facetious but the most prominent 2 syllable last names such as Namgung 남궁, Jaegal 제갈, and Dokgo 독고 were once naturalized Chinese names

The reason why you'd have a 4 syllabus name is because your name is either:

1+3 (eg. 윤 빛가람)
    or 2+2 (eg. 제갈 성렬 that speed skater)

Has nothing to do with nobility

11. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    offtopic: Choson period aristocrats comprised very very very small fraction of the population (with fluctuations). Overwhelming majority were 노비.

zdrstvte repped this.
  12. Rob_Brighton

Rob_Brighton Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    This discussion about Korean naming conventions is rather interesting.

But getting back on topic, I think people have been too critical of the second half performance by Korea. It seemed that the Czechs tried to be more direct in the second half and they inserted players with more aerial threat. This prevented Korea from moving too far forward. By taking such a direct approach knowing that you have a size advantage, you can effectively nullify the disadvantage of having one less player, because having such a dangerous long-ball threat means that one can also open up some space in the midfield.

It seems that whatever Stielike does isn't good enough for you folks. He was criticised during the Spain match for taking risks, some of which nearly paid off, as they created more chances in the first half and even matched Spain for ball possession, which is extremely difficult to do. When he decided to play it safe while protecting against the aerial threat of the Czechs, you criticise him for not being adventurous enough. Moreover, although Korea held their own against Spain in terms of the general run of play, and even dominated for most of the first half, some feel that you can lay all the blame on him for the bad result. But when Korea earns a historic result away against a tournament-ready Czech side, some are faulting the manner in which he gained the win.

You can't have it both ways.

Considering these were 2 friendlies with sides having attained near peak fitness, Korea did well in both matches as long as you are not so obsessed with the results. There are definitely things to criticise, but most of the blame doesn't lie with Stielike. The manager cannot be held liable for every mistake the players make, especially when there are so many blunders due to lack of concentration or due to fear or nervousness.

iunlock repped this.
  13. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Not really. I'm saying there are genuine family lineages that can be verified. The other guy think it's all fake and meaningless and foreign. I don't know he's so hard up against it.

14. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Who 'claim' that they have connections. Given that an extreme minority held top government positions in the Choson dynasty, you can just use your common sense to realise that most people who claim lineage to such prestigious families, who, I admit are quite common, are probably not actually related to the person in history.

Very few. Yes, most are quite meaningless, because it was a custom to sell and buy surnames in Choson dynasty, especially for less well-off sunbis.

Getting derailed too much. PM me for any further bits.

chook90 repped this.