International Draft - who won't come?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by kolabear, Sep 24, 2008.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably only the a few from down south and the Canadians. Everyone else is likely a no show. I mean when you think about it, that's not surprising. The reason they all flocked to the WUSA is that it was the undisputed to women's league in the world at the time in terms of both exposure and money (and hell even attendance). But WPS isn't going to be the WUSA. It's going to be the top US league sure, but compared to some of the other women's leagues starting up, or reorganizing like in England, WPS is only on par. So the question for the internationals becomes, why leave your home and move half way across the world to join a league of similar quality to the one you were in?

2. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    because everyone wants to follow the American Dream???

:D :D :D

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that and a WPS contract can't even buy you a used Pinto...

4. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Some "results" in: St. Louis have renounced their rights to Lotta Schelin and Ingvild Stensland.

5. twinssoccerdad

twinssoccerdad New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Has anyone signed an international player yet?

6. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    If they have, they're keeping it very quiet.

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't sound like any of the Bay Area, excuse me FC Gold Pride, internationals have signed. They referred to them simply as "international allocations" during their press conference Wed announcing the team name.

8. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what i can Tell, no team has signed ANY players... The talks with the USWNT are stalled at this time

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know if it means anything but Barnhardt and 2 other of the Bay Area ladies were at the team's most recent press conference for what it's worth.

10. A Fan

A Fan New Member

Aug 15, 1999
    I would hardly compare what is going on in England or Sweden the same at the WPS! Have you been to an Ladies EPL game not involving Arsenal? Or a Sweden game not involving Umea? Trust me. Maybe the Swedish league has a very good level of play but not league-wide, and attendance/sponsorship, not nearly so. If they won't come its not because they're either older and have settled down in their own country with houses/families (KS) or they're asking for salaries not sustainable in a league that will be competitive from top to bottom. I say, why spend big money and fail in 3 years, wait on some players and sign the up and comers in the coming years, building to something. IMHO.

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I agree, no reason to spend big money right now. What I have questioned since they did it, is why have an international draft at all, particularly when they were originally selling it as if these internationals were infact coming over when odds are few of them will. Because the fact is WPS isn't going to be a much higher level, if it is at all, than those Euro leagues you're referring to. They're not going to be anywhere near WUSA in terms of exposure and international appeal because those were actually things that led to WUSA's downfall. Based on seeing the Bay Area team's work to date they're doing a good job, but the entire thing has a decidedly low level feel about it, particularly when contrasted with MLS or WUSA.

12. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    I'm sorry, but I really don't understand your points here. Where did you get the Swedish comparison from? And what do you actually mean by it?

13. A Fan

A Fan New Member

Aug 15, 1999
    What i'm saying is, pure talent across the board, the WPS will be the best women's soccer league in the world. Its just a numbers game, being that the best in Japan play in Japan, the best in England play in england, etc. There is no other league that will draw from every pocket AFC, UEFA, CONCACAF, etc.

I'm not arguing it will be as high level as WUSA. Nor in terms of capital, the MLS, but I want to hear some evidence for specific leagues being comparable in talent. I don't think some of these players are not coming because they don't believe it will be the best league in the world. Some of them are deciding on external factors. I mean unlike many men, they aren't as willing to leave partners behind, or give up an education, or move their family out of the house they just bought. And understandably so! No one in any league is making the same bank or even can dream of that money, so they have to consider outside reasons beyond soccer.

Now what I think is a great argument is....Is the UEFA tournament a higher level? You've got Lyon, Arsenal, Umea, 1.Frankfurt...then you start seeing some good competition.

I'm not arguing on some naive patriotism or the fact I am tied to a WPS team. I'm just looking at soccer and the external reasons and judging what I see.

14. lisanp

lisanp New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    tennessee
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree. Also I would think they will get better exposure in terms of TV/media exposure and crowd attendance. The cities they will be playing in, home and away, are large and/or world class cities; bigger markets. They will probably have better facilities in terms of stadiums, training grounds, support staff (medical/fitness). I just think all and all it will be more professional and the players will have more opportunities. I'm not saying everything would work out, but as far as taking a risk, it seems like a good one. I would think most of the players would be at least willing to try it out. What is 8 months, a year, two years?

15. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    But the season is very short by Euro standards and all the many 'benefits' of playing in the WPS may not be enough to make up for the extensive travel and other obstacles they'll face if they come over.

16. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Sign of things to come from Other teams ?

Nov. 19, 2008: St. Louis renounces its rights to Sweden's Lotta Schelin and names Sara Larsson from Sweden as a post-draft discovery player. St. Louis has been assigned Sara Larsson's WPS-playing rights.
    Nov. 17, 2008: St. Louis renounces its rights to Norway's Ingvild Stensland and names Francielle Manuel Alberto from Brazil as a post-draft discovery player. St. Louis has been assigned Francielle Manuel Alberto's WPS-playing rights.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't be surprised. I've said from the beginning it wasn't likely most of the internationals would come. WPS isn't the WUSA. It's not this huge top level league that's going to suck in all the top talent from across the planet like MLB does in baseball. It's just unfortunate that WPS originally positioned the internationals like they were almost sure things and still lists them all on the "rosters" of the teams.

A good analogy is that WUSA was the big fish in a pond of minnows. Now WPS is just another one of the minnows. Albiet a larger minnow, but a minnow just the same.

18. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always thought that Schelin was a long shot, but I thought Stensland might come over here. Schelin just signed a huge contract, so to sign her away, plus pay a transfer fee would have been way too expensive.

I would like to see some of the internationals come here to play, but I don't want it to happen if it's going to put the league in financial jeopardy right off the bat.

19. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    hmm....
    I can't find this mentioned anywhere else (then again, I've never been very good at research). Where did you get this info?

-edit-
    nevermind I found it....
    <sigh>

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far we have 0 confirmed internationals and 3 confirmed international no-shows.

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    yeah, awesome track record, huh? X-P I'm sure WPS PR is having a field day.
    when MLS signed a big-name international or two, more started coming; I'm sure this will be having the opposite effect....

so, the #3 result on this poll has been proven correct - any news on #'s 1 & 2?

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a given Kelly Smith isn't coming. And Marta if I'm not mistaken is still signed in Europe? But signed or not it's going to take major bank to bring her over, something no one is going to pay.

24. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    There are so far five confirmed no-shows if you look at the full 28 player draft list and the 15 post-draft players. Margret Lara Vidarsdottir, drafted by LA Sol, has signed a one year contract with Sweden's Linköping and Anja Mittag, post-draft by FC Gold Pride, is under contract until the summer 2009 and her German club has stated that they have no intention letting her go.

There are lots of news to be found about # 2 on the list, but of course nothing definite, which seems to make people that follows this either entertained or really annoyed. It looks like all bidders should have submitted their final offers in a few day, but don't count on a speedy decision.

The only news I've seen about # 1 on the list is that Arsenal boss Vic Akers gave her (and the three other targeted Arsenal players) a time limit to make up her mind. That date has now passed, but I haven't seen any news.

25. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a lot of teams interested in Marta. A private sponsor is offering a bunch of cash to keep her at Umea.

Here is a link that has some of the Marta rumors/info:

http://dandal.webblogg.se/

One other thing worth noting is that one of Marta's rumored requests was LA also signing Johanna Frisk. Just the last week, I think LA got the American rights to negotiate with Frisk. Does this mean they are moving to sign both?

Some positive news, though, that Sara Larsson is apparently interested in coming to St. Louis. :)