International Draft - who won't come?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by kolabear, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Basque21

Basque21 New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Club:
    CA Osasuna
    That was a really ignorant thing to say, especially since there is a good chance you have never even been to St. Louis.

Why did Pau Gasol leave Spain to play in Memphis?

2. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    please ignore if someone else has already pointed this out, but:

in the crawl at the bottom of the screen during yesterday's skysports broadcast it noted that the english fa is planning to start a new superleague (including central contracts) for the women. it occured to me that they were intent on keeping smith and any and all young up and comers out of the clutches of the wps.

i didn't hear anything else about it, but i just googled and found this.

http://www.england-mad.co.uk/news/loadroll.asp?cid=EDY2&id=408992

3. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    My original explanation here:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15829345&postcount=37

Aside from Kaurin and Stensland, most all of Norway's WNT have other things keeping them in Norway. Careers, husbands, long-term boyfriends, etc. The only one to mention coming over was Trine Rønning, and she's been approached by Turbine Potsdam fairly recently.

As for the ones who have made their ways abroad -- Nordby, Kaurin, Stensland -- they're all still under contract with their current teams.

But I will say when everything's said and done, I think there will be at least one, maybe two Norwegians come over for next season. I just have no clue as to who.

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think many players from overseas may not be sold on this league till maybe after a year or two of existence. They know fully well what happened to the WUSA and leaving an established team, with sure pay, obviously family loved ones, etc. in Europe to come to a league that let's be frank, has a lot of promise but lots of challenges, for a half years pay may be something that they may not want to do. Some of these girls may also have other jobs with their respective teams in Europe like being a director of something or other. They can also live at home and earn money by playing soccer.

Players from Latin America/Brazil/Canada may be more inclined to come to the WPS. Players from Europe who may be willing to come over will be those who might just want to try something new in life like living in the USA for a while. Also national pride may have something to do with it. For example, Kelly Smith has already played in the US. Been there done that. She may see her calling more as getting women's soccer more established in her home country of England.

5. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    My guess would be that he wanted to play in the world's best basketball league and make more money than he makes in Spain...

6. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    I think you have to assume that DiCicco has already made contact with the players he wanted prior to the draft and probably has a pretty good idea of their interest in playing in WPS and what it will take to sign them. Read his quote again.

The last part of that last sentence is significant.

7. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  8. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find dandal and redcard persuasive so I'm going with some of their picks: Lotta Schelin (dandal & redcard), Caroline Jönsson (dandal) and Sonia Bompastor (redcard).

As for Kelly Smith, I'm not convinced that she'll stay with Arsenal. For one thing I have a hard time thinking Boston would use their first pick on someone they didn't think they could get, but we are probably talking about 2010 instead of 2009 since I think she has another year on her contract. (** Afterthought - it might actually make more sense for her to come in 2009 even if it's on loan and go back to England in 2010 if she's interested in their inaugural Women's Super League which launches then. Makes more sense even to England if she does well here in 2009 with the added attention it'll bring.)

She's won everything she can at Arsenal and it was a downer for the entire England team to come back from playing before 20,000 and more at the World Cup and play before hundreds of people in their league. Not that we're going to match WC-type attendance numbers but still, with Marta coming and all that there's going to be much more attention drawn to the league here.

It's also possible I just want to believe this because my Kelly Smith England jersey has been waiting for this moment...

As far as transfer fees, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think her position running the Academy has anything to do with that.

I also think most of the Brazilians will come. If you need more reasons why besides the ones others have already given, I suggest you have dinner at your local Fogo de Chao if your town is lucky enough to have one..

9. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    So, they are trying to rebuild Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC over there (Solo, Schelin, Stensland)? Maybe not the most successful model.

And anyway, how did she suddenly pop up? Is it a free for all now? After the international draft you can just claim you discovered who-ever and call dibs on her?

Anyhow, great player. A true asset to any team.

10. WHUFC83

WHUFC83 New Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Clearly these teams have chosen players that they believe they can sign, otherwise some team would have made an audacious attempt to sign Birgit Prinz (and half the German team for that matter), whom we all know isn't coming.

11. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I have no clue. I've scrolled down the list a couple dozen times since they put it up with the 'discovery' players and didn't see her until this afternoon. What is most interesting for me is that of all the Norwegian players who have talked about the WPS, she's not one of them.

ETA: She went on record last week as having been approached by NY and Boston. Funny that St. Louis ended up with her.

12. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    I surprise myself by being well and truly ********ing tired of this already. It all seems more like a spectacular PR exercise than a serious attempt to start a well functioning league.

13. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember reading an article some months back where Kelly Smith, herself, said she was staying in England and wasn't going to be coming to WPS. I'm wondering why I can't find Rachel Yankey being mentioned in the draft news.

14. secretcode

secretcode New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    Yes, have been to St. Louis. But sorry I offended you. It was more about France than about--oh, never mind. Clank clank clank went the trolley!
    [​IMG]

15. secretcode

secretcode New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    I so agree. They should have called it their wish list.

16. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kolabear, I have inside info on Kelly, there are personal reasons why she will not come to the US. the only thing I can say is that it would take an offer that WPS cannot afford to make to Bring her her again.. And becasue she is under contract, there is a transfer fee that the club will enforce.

For the WPS to get some of the players on their international Draft, the money they would have to spend will blow the budget of the entire league

there is a better chance of Mia Hamm playing in the WPS than Marta and Kelly Smith... If I am proven wrong, I give the league three years untill folding because they could not contain the costs... and the team that fooishly spends the most will win all the games

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why I think this "international draft" was really just a chance to grab a few low level internationals and to connect the WPS name to some famous players like Marta and Kelly Smith.

18. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    And it's a horrible PR move. By holding a "draft" fans are expecting these players to be on the field. The average fan has no idea about transfer fees, contracts, etc. To sell a league that can't deliver the players it drafts will kill WPS before it even starts. Very disingenuous.

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. That's why the more I've learned about the international allocation, particularly the "big names" and the media reports that followed all saying WPS had drafted these international players the more concerned I am. It makes WPS seem like they're lying for the exposure when players like Smith and Marta don't come. That or at the very least if we believe their noble intentions, that WPS can't get it done when it comes to attracting these internationals. And with the money players like Marta and Smith are going to demand, perhaps that's the best case scenario as someone pointed out earlier. The alternative could be the overwhelming of the WPS financials, not unlike WUSA.

20. angel3

angel3 New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    I don't understand the reasoning behind these last few posts.

The intl' draft is simply a wish list of the WPS. It's an internal process whereby the teams are assigned "rights to draft" or "rights to negotiate" with these players. There is no guarantee that they can sign the players but they have to start the process somewhere. This is the 1st step.

How else do you think they should start?

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of the problem is that it was sold as another "allocation" like the allocation (which was an actual draft) of the US Olympic players. Problem is as we all know it's not. However that was never made clear by WPS. The international allocation has largely been sold as a draft of these players, most of which are just that, a wish list that will never happen.

I'd rather they'd have started the process by actually drafting players who had indicated they'd like to play for the league and had some previous contact with WPS. From what we're hearing out of most of the internationals that were "allocated" on the wish list, they've never spoken to WPS before. And as we've discovered most of the big names have little interest in WPS.

22. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your point, but I think the USWNT was clearly an allocation, and the International draft was just that.

Except for the NFL, most drafts are nothing more than having player rights for the league assigned to them. The NBA and NHL, and MLS for that matter, consistently draft players, especially from overseas, that may or may not come to North America to play, and many never come.

If anyone took the time the read the whole WPS press release I do not know how they could have made it any clearer that all that was at stake was the right to begin negotiations with these players and that it would be done in accordance with FIFA transfer rules.

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is alot of press outlets chose to gloss over the press release and did nothing to make it clear it was only a wish list.

And as for teams in other sports drafting wish lists like that (especially in what amounts to an expansion draft) I'd love to see examples because I don't think that's true.

24. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I have time I'll send you some links and post a summary, but you only need to look at this year's NBA draft for examples, there are doubts about 4-5 of the Eurpean players coming over, and even more examples in the NHL. There have also been a number of players who were drafted by both the NFL and MLB and had to choose between them. There are a few players still hanging from the MLS draft, one just signed with Celtic, GK who Chicago drafted whose name escapes me right now?

I am hurt you think I would post an untruth :(

25. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but none of those drafts were trying to create a league either. They're all in established leagues.