International Draft - who won't come?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by kolabear, Sep 24, 2008.

1. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see a mod has been here - Christine Sinclair and Cristiane have both signed with their teams and it's noted on the poll.

That's 12 out of 16.

Only 1 is a definite no (Schelin)

De Vanna is at least coming to Washington's camp. That leaves Daniela and Melissa Tancredi. For all the initial worries and hand-wringing, the league has been very successful in signing international players.

2. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Well, as you pointed out in the beginning, you did only choose a selection of the international draftees/discovery players for your poll. No Emma Byrne for instance, or Ingvild Stensland or a bunch of others that haven't signed.

Oh, and the Canadian national team's web site listed the squad on Feb. 20 for the Cyprus Cup and has Tancredi down as belonging to St. Louis Athletica.

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    O RLY? Interesting.... <goes to Canada's WNT website....>

4. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But those 16 included most of the biggest names in the draft. Overall, 17 out of the original 28 international players in the international draft have signed; 6 are a definite or almost definite "no" and 5 are still question marks.

Neither Byrne nor Stensland were part of the original draft although of course they are very valuable players that teams in the WPS would love to have. But there's no getting around the conclusion - the WPS International Draft was very successful and, on the whole, draft picks didn't go to waste.

A lot of good players, however, remainl in Europe so as not to deprive the Rivalry Forum of fodder for its gossip and rumour mills. In fact, there seems to be a strong inverse correlation (is that the right term?) between how much a player is talked about in Rivalry and whether they wound up on an American team this year. Coincidence? Conspiracy? Reluctance on the part of Europeans to leave the Rivalry spotlight?

5. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Prayer.

6. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    No, just the fact that none of the Germans, none of the Norwegians and virtually none of the (interesting) Swedes signed up. Considering the active population of the Rivalry forum...:p

But you might want to keep up, kolabear. If you were entirely on top of things, you'd know that the Eurotrash sphere of interest has been expanded and now features regular appearances by Australians and even Americans!

7. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

8. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Me being one of them. :p

9. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incredible. After checking the 24-player preseason rosters, I see Daniela and Melissa Tancredi with St Louis and Lisa De Vanna with Washington. Now I don't know if, technically, they're signed. But they're here. They're in camp and they're on the rosters.

If we can add those three, that makes 15 out of 16. Incredible.

10. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both Tancredi and Daniela played in the exhibition game against Notre Dame. I wasn't there, but it was mentioned in the match report.

11. angel3

angel3 New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    It's old news but Lisa De Vanna played for the Freedom last Sunday so they are all here. :)

12. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nope. Still missing one.

13. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lotta Schelin is not on St. Louis's roster. I don't know any more than that.

14. chinadaiyi

chinadaiyi Member

Sep 11, 2008
    China
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Daniela doesn't come?
    what club now? Sweden?

15. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Here's the tally of the original drafted players, along with post-doscovery players that didn't sign with their WPS teams. Apologies if any are wrong, or I've missed any.

Original Draft Players:
    Sky Blue: Ester
    St. Louis: Lotta Schellin
    Washington: Louisa Necib
    LA: Margret Lara Vidarsdottir
    Boston: Maycon, Shinobu Ohno

Post-Discovery Players:
    St. Louis: Ingvild Stensland (Norway)
    St. Louis: Francielle Manuel Alberto (Brazil)
    Chicago Red Stars: Laura Del Rio (Spain)
    Boston Breakers: Emma Byrne (Ireland)
    Washington Freedom: Lene Mykjåland (Norway)
    FC Gold Pride: Anja Mittag (Germany)

17. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, Francielle did sign and played Saturday night. Renata Costa was an original drafted player by Athletica that didn't sign.

18. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Ah. Thanks for the clarification. I was going on press releases/transactions and the rosters released by the teams. I knew I'd inevitably miss some here and there.

19. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a lot to keep track of there. I know the Saint Louis players, because they're my team. And to be fair, up until a week before the season started, it was pretty hard to tell what was going on with them.;)