International Dates: Catch-all thread

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, Mar 9, 2014.

1. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Olympic Qualifying: Australia beats Japan 3-1

The Koreas tied 1-1 and China beat Vietnam 2-0

2. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #78 SiberianThunderT, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    The ever-reliable Steve Goff at WaPo has put together a close-to-exhaustive list of any major soccer dates one might want to know for 2017. I bet several of the NWSL-specific dates are speculation based on past years, (note the NWSL final isn't mentioned,) but just to highlight anything* that might affect NWSL roster juggling:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-2017-soccer-calendar/?utm_term=.b6c575b35e9b
    *FIFA international dates are obvious, but I'm also including UWCL and EURO dates in case there are players that NWSL clubs are expecting after their UWCL campaigns end or players that would leave for EURO

Ideally, considering we have no worldwide summer tournament to contend with, I think the NWSL regular season should end before the September NT window, then have the two weeks of playoffs between the September and October NT windows.

lil_one repped this.
  4. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be fair, it does cover the FIFA window of late July, or at least there aren't any NWSL matches scheduled for the 29th/30th. In theory, the NTers (of all four nations) could miss only the 7/22 games since the next NWSL matches aren't until 8/4 & 8/5, though returning that quickly after an NT tournament might be rough on those players. I just hope none of the four participating NTs withdraw their players before the 7/15 games...

7. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Yeh, I'm figuring the 7/22 and the 8/4 & 8/5 games will be missed by the starters, in the 7/3 nat. game. Players that don't see the field will probably be ready to lace up. But that's still better than years past I guess. As long as the USWNT doesn't schedule anymore games.

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Problem is extended camps at this point. US may schedule matches within FIFA window but have shown no inclination in the past not to call in NWSL players before the window starts.

9. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I get that. But a one game friendly would have had no impact. Possibly a two game.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im kinda interested to see what happens at the Portland preseason tourney. I believe it ends before the FIFA window begins so if the US players have to miss that tournament so Ellis can extra time to prepare for Russia Im gonna be really disappointed.