International Champions Cup?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by iride_mybike, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bought my tickets 20 minutes after they went on sale. I can't wait. If Everton lose, and we lose, we play one another. That would be interesting!

By the way, my Everton board is actually really excited about this. Great preseason tournament for us.

P.S. My tickets were expensive, could care less. Gives me the opportunity to see a club I could only see maybe once a year in person.

WarGalaxy repped this.
  2. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto. The folks I've brought to games have had a good time and I've converted a couple. The good ones get it (no offense to your friend).

3. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exposure and money. I'm with the post above by JBZTV. Look, when you're the star of MLS you play these games. It's the price of being us.

This probably brings us more revenue than USOC.

4. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton has a growing presence in the US. I'll take it.

5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, since it is an exhibition, if LAG and Everton meet, maybe we could get LD to play 1/2 with each club.

"Champions Cup"??? What is Everton "Champion" of last season. I missed that.

6. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carolina should be in this dog-and-pony show.

7. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Undoubtedly.

There's an old joke. A man walks up to a beautiful woman in a bar and asks, "Would you sleep with me for $10,000,000?" She says, "Sure." He says, "Since we have now established what you are, lets negotiate about the price."

cleschke and Beakmon FC repped this.
  8. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The starters should not take part. PERIOD. This is the punishment for the reserves for playing USASA chickenshit football in the USOC.

9. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is actually NO money in the USOC unless you can make it to the final (Teams get a travel stipend for each round). There is no national broadcast rights sold for this tournament outside of the final being shown on national TV.

10. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You know the name is just a name. Don't knock my club.

11. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Another reason why I'm kinda, "meh." Sad that a summer tourney could bring more $$$$.

12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not even the same thing. This is the reality of being a club and marketing yourself to generate funding to reinvest in the team. Building a brand takes work, effort, and thinking big. I like that our club gets included with the bigger clubs. AEG has had this aspiration for a long time, so let's not act surprised when we do things that show it.

13. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not knocking you club. Knocking the absurd over-reaching name for a series of exhibitions.

Berks repped this.
  14. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Got it, and can see your point! You know it was a marketing person's job to come up with that name, and that's where we ended up (I'm in marketing, and this is one of the most painful parts of my job).

15. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Champions of Liverpool?

16. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is good to have aspirations. But that needs to be tempered by figuring out if you are or are not ready for prime time. There have been careers ruined by people thinking they are ready for the bigs, and then crapping out because they weren't. Wanting to be BIG and actually being BIG are two very different things. And since I am sure Bruce and Chris actually know this, they are whoring out the club for money and any damage done be damned.

17. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't agree with this AT ALL. This is a summer tourney. Anyone who thinks we are going to beat the clubs in it needs to have a reality check. It's a good opportunity to learn, get experience and get some revenue. If there are plebes out there who think this is an actual tourney, they are probably not ready to be converted. But getting fans of these clubs over with some good surprising play is a good thing.

There is cache from being involved. And I think there's upside here rather than downside.

That's opinion of course.

But in terms of history, Bruce and Chris seem to know what they are doing in terms of running our club - that's one area where I feel like we've always been good - marketing bigger and trying to expand our brand. Compare us to other MLS clubs in that regard. Yes, having Beckham helped, but we managed that and built upon it. Magee complimenting Klein and Bruce says A LOT to me. These guys are intelligent, and I for one like that they are thinking big to get us included with the likes of the clubs here. They are not damage be damned - there are no indications of that at all in our history.

You play your three games, get some exposure, and call it a day.

Let's all remember Man City 1, LA 1. You never know. Just play well, control what you can control, entertain some fans, and go home with your dollars that you put towards a 3rd DP to get even better.

18. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still irritated at crap like this, but I have to say: that is a helluva lineup of clubs.

19. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Further Irritation Alert:

If I'm reading that schedule right (and I'd like to think that I am):
    LA could lose two matches and then still have to fly to effing Miami for the ignominious 7th place match?

Who do I punch about this?

20. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at least they don't have to travel to Cary, North Carolina. Now that would be abusive.

21. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ******** that! I say we play them tough and hit the hard while they are still in the vacationing mindset. The combination of our mid-season form and some Argentina '78 officiating could see us win this whole thing, serving up the perfect propaganda pie for all the Euro snob doubters to choke on.

22. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If we win, it will be awesome, but I have my expectations appropriately set, and I think Bruce will too.

23. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would rather lose every match and have the full first team squad come through healthy than win the whole thing and see a starter go down. And that goes for both of my teams.

Happy for those who will get to see some good players and even a team they also follow in some cases, just want to see no injuries is all.

The Cadaver repped this.
  24. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Who are you concerned about? The Galaxy or Chelsea?

25. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Both, yep. STH for one, lifelong fan of the other.

I realize one doesn't make me popular :D