Internal SA flights

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by Nailsea Hammer, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Nailsea Hammer

Nailsea Hammer New Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I know this has been touched on in some other threads, but as we are getting close to booking the long haul parts I'd like to ask if anyone has any local advice on budget airline flights in SA.

- Who flies between, say, Johan, Cape Town and Durban?
    - Are they known to overbook planes, or cancel planes if underbooked?
    - In short, can they be trusted to get you to a game on time!!!

Appreciate some advice. Having experienced a certain budget airline from Ireland screwing up my plans for Austria 08 I'd appreciate some advice!

Thanks.

2. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    as i am planning out my itinerary - i plan on going from cape town to joburg, and to prevent some type of booking disaster that would delay my flight - i am flying into joburg one day before my game i plan on attending.

i.e. i have tickets for a game june 14 at soccer city; so i plan on flying out of cape town the day before which gives me enough time to get to the joburg airport, check into my accomodations and do some sightseeing that day and night and hang out the day of the game before heading to the stadium.

if you have to fly into another city the same day as a game, make sure you give yourself enough time to get from the airport to your hotel and then from the hotel to the stadium. if you have an afternoon game - fly first thing in the morning. if you have a night game - fly no later than early afternoon.

i have a feeling that during the world cup time there will be planes leaving every hour or 2 hours for Cape town - joburg; joburg-durban; cape town-durban, etc etc.

3. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's a nice idea, but where would they get the extra planes from?

And those trips would all be one way, so not ideal for the flight operators.

4. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Extra? Every two hours?

SAA ALONE is already scheduling these routes pretty much every hour 6:00am to 10:00pm. You can even see the schedules for World Cup time now.

Apparently it appears to surprise some people that they have airplanes in South Africa. These routes are some of the busiest sectors in the world. Cape Town/Joburg is the 5th most flown airroute sector ON THE PLANET in terms of flights and 6th most in terms of passengers.*

J

* - from the wikipedia article. Neither measure is perfect by any means, but this sort of "will the natives be able to cope with all the big metal birds" garbage is pretty stupid.

5. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yeah, I mis-read it and took it to mean charter flights just for football fans.

6. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pretty paranoid reaction. people are understandably jittery about transport of all forms. We are advised not to use buses, minibus taxis or trains as too dangerous and unreliable. Seemingly little public transport anyway apparently. Flights from England to Cape Town seemingly don't exist unless you take the joyous SAA at £1,700+ a person! It is no wonder people need to check these things out especially as I am not convinced by many whom I have spoken in the Country they fully realise what all this will entail.

7. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    the best way to get to cape town it seems is to fly to joburg and from there go to cape town.

from what i've seen on SAA - they have flights every hour or 2 to cape town...

8. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    don't open the link in the above message - it's the same person who keeps posting a link to a shoes website...

9. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You are probably right but when I go on their poor website it says unhelpfully and untruthfully there are no flights available. BA for the first we of July have put these flights up from R500 to R4000!!!!

10. Nailsea Hammer

Apr 20, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I kicked this thread off because there are a number of airlines that fly internally. See the following link for JH to Cape Town:

http://www.southafrica.to/transport...e-Town/flights-Johannesburg-to-Cape-Town.php5

All I was asking was whether any of these are known to be unreliable. It's got nothing to do with concerns on safety or anything. As I mentioned, there's budget airlines in Europe that I would never fly on again!

Thanks

11. Nailsea Hammer

Apr 20, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Dont exaggerate...it's only 2000ZAR.

I know it's all demand and supply but these airlines realling are blackmailing us all: Pay the price or don't see the games.

If BA are adding a factor of 4 on flights that means that Heathrow to Cape Town will go up from £650 to £2600. Are there enough of us here to start a revolution?

12. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What do you mean don't exaggerate?! If you look at first week of July it states R4000, I have better things to do, not many I grant you, than make their highly inflated figures look even more inflated! http://www.britishairways.com/travel/fx/public/en_gb?eId=111011&timestamp=0724084050

13. Nailsea Hammer

Apr 20, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Sorry, it was meant to be a 'funny' comment but the despair of the situation meant I missed the smiley!

I was looking on line too and found the price EACH WAY went up from 500 to 2000ZAR. So a return is 4000ZAR, but the price outside the world cup would have been 1000ZAR.

I'll see if cut and past works....
    Outbound

Johannesburg - Cape Town

Previous week
    Next week
    Mon
    7 Jun
    Tue
    8 Jun
    Wed
    9 Jun
    Thu
    10 Jun
    Fri
    11 Jun
    Sat
    12 Jun
    Sun
    13 Jun
    From500ZAR
    From2000ZAR
    From2000ZAR
    From2000ZAR
    From2000ZAR
    From2000ZAR
    From2000ZAR

14. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    unavailability could be because the return leg isn't yet within the strange 330(ish) day limit that many airlines have for booking flights in advance.

15. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  16. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    July that is.

17. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    don't forget, standard airlines are not like Ryanair etc. One-way tickets always cost far more than a return. Don't ask me why as I couldn't tell you, but that is pretty standard. It's possibly linked to them thinking such flights might be business trips (which is why if you book a flight returning the next day it often also costs a fortune)

It's not just returns either. Stopover journeys are often cheaper than a return to the stopover destination. I booked a flight earlier this year to australia, stopping in Singapore, yet my ticket was £150 cheaper than a return to Singapore on exactly the same flights/days. There's logic in there somewhere, but I don't know where.

18. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree it seems pot luck with Flights, trains etc. anywhere in the world now. Can this be just from the internet? Without harping on about this disgraceful price bewteen CT & Jo'Berg, for the first week of July it is R4000 one way and return is just double that i.e. R9,837 and compared with and compared with the normal R1,857 I think it is a total disgrace wait for someone to find something worse.

19. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    this is actually just standard airline practice. Fares aren't fixed. They always fluctuate according to availability. That's why when I booked my Ryanair flight to frankfurt for the opening round of the world cup in 2006, seats were going for £400 (one way) in the days leading up to England's match there, but for my flight, two days later, the fare was 79p.

Proper airlines don't tend to fluctuate to that degree, but they do ramp up the prices if they expect demand to be very high. If they sell those seats at those prices then as a business, it was the right decision. If they don't sell them, they'll have to bring the prices down.

20. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    if you go on kayak.com

SAA has domestic flights available until june 18, 2010 as of now - i am sure each day they will go out another day.

for example for $232 you can fly roundtrip between cape town and joburg.
    most of the cost is from taxes.

there are flights all day and night (every 90 minutes starting at 6 am) so i don't see an increase in the number of flights happening, unless they are from different airlines.

as for price - i don't know how much prices will fluctuate. in my situation, i know what dates i plan on being in cape town and joburg so i am probably going to my flight soon for peace of mind.

any thoughts?

21. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    South Africa also has several budget airlines, but they don't seem to have kicked in yet, so they aren't available.

22. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope you are not trying to fly on SAA from Cape Town or PE to Joburg or back on June 26/27 though. Those are the quarterfinals days and are already sold out or blocked off. Going to be pretty hard to move around on flights during the WC I predict.

23. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    SAA only has domestic flights between cape town / joburg through june 18. i am only trying to fly back and forth between cape town / joburg on june 13 and 18. and also possibly june 10 and 21 depending on the flight costs from the united states.

not many flights go straight to cape town where i plan to spend the majority of my time. so i will fly internationally into joburg and get a SAA flight to cape town and back on the dates i plan on leaving the country...

the QF dates don't pertain to me at all, but flights for those days are not even available for purchase yet...

24. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think you are wrong. I just booked from George to Joburg on those QF dates though I did not complete the transacation. Try www.flysaa.com for yourself.