Interliga 2008 Groups and Schedule [R]

Discussion in 'Mexico: Club Cups and Competitions' started by Monkeyboy2000, Oct 29, 2007.

1. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That's why I wanted Cruz Azul and Pumas to qualify. Guys like Barrera, Villaluz and co deserve a grand stage to perform on and to be recognized...too bad the FMF is too concerned with making money. How's Andrade doing, really looking forward to seeing him?

2. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Y america tiene jugadores como Memo, Silva, Mosqueda pa que el resto del mundo tambien los vea.

3. Desert_Eagle

Desert_Eagle Member

Oct 29, 2005
    U.S.A
    some chivas fans are more ardidos about america winning then i was about cruz azul losing, i mean it hurts alot not to qualify to libertadores, but it's not like cruz azul didnt piss away clear opportunities.

4. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sorry, I wasn't specifically talking about America. I agree they have good young players too. I'm just higher on the ones I mentioned. My complaint was more about Atlas. Credit to them they did what they had to, I'm just not sure they'll represent properlly.

5. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    This Interliga 2009, but it's not worth opening up a thread yet for what is still a rumor-

http://www2.informador.com.mx/deportes/2008/44779/6/futbol-sin-balon.htm

6. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What? I thought the teams were selected by invitation all along. I got a better idea, why not get rid of this unnecessary tournament and not force our teams to play unnecessary games? Just let the top three teams (or is it 4?) qualify directly to the Libertadores. It sucks for Atlante, Jaguares, and Tecos fan that they will neversee their teams in Libertadores again if this plan goes through.

7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the non-Spanish speakers, could you summarize what the plan is?

8. El Chompiras

El Chompiras Member+

Feb 27, 2006
    San Fernando Valley
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    the way they are gonna choose the 8 teams that are gonna participate in the interliga changed

So America, Chivas, & Cruz Azul are in and then the next 5 teams that will likely sell out the stadiums.

9. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Basically what the Mexican Federation wants to do to modify the Interliga, is to only invite the eight most popular teams in Mexico to participate in this tournament. Instead of inviting the eight teams with the most points from the previous season, they just want to invite teams that would bring fans to the stadium.

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's rediculous. Would CONMEBOL allow a team to earn a berth in the Libertadores this way?

InterLiga should just be ended, and instead the berth go to whomever does best over the season. Strange concept I know.

11. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    From what I can see you know very little about Conmebol and the FMF, Conmebol would love to see America, Guadalajara and Cruz Azul as the three Mexican team in the Libertadores, it's all about money.

But one thing guys isn't Cruz Azul playing in Concacaf?
    I thought that teams playing in Concacaf couldn't play in Conmebol, surely in this case Concacaf is not gonna allow it.
    Same applies to Santos, UNAM and Atlante. no?

12. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought all teams in the Libertadores qualify on merit, through the league or cup. Is that not the case?

13. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    In Mexico's case NO.
    and Conmebol still allow us to play.

14. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are Mexico's representatives chosen?

15. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That's how it should be. Teams should EARN their way to Libertadores, but the only reason Interliga exists is because Mexico's Federation is run by a bunch of greedy bastards that want to earn a few extra US dollars.

At the moment, the eight teams that play in the Interliga are the teams that earn the most points the previous season (that's the right way to do things). After that, the top three teams from Interliga are the ones who represent Mexico in Copa Libertadores.

16. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Minus the two champs.

Also interliga only sends 2 teams to the Copa the other spots goes to the winner of a match between the two champions of the year preceding the previous.

17. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so the CL spots are earned on merit. You can question how much merit, but you have to earn your spot somehow.

That said, InterLiga is a total money grab with no legitimate purpose.

18. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Preaching to choir, but yes, yes it is.

19. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I thought it sent one Direct from the Interliga the 3rd spot was played against someone else ala repechaje style?

20. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    More like minus the 4 teams playing in concacaf, the 8 teams with the most points from the Apertura 08 minus the 4 teams in Concacaf, no?
    And I thought that all 3 spots were to be decided this year on the Interliga, I haven't heard anything about the play-off between the champions from the 06/07 season which were Guadalajara and Pachuca, no?

21. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    Of course, the latest is this-
    http://www.mediotiempo.com/noticia/68147/el-zorro-chivas-y-tecos-hoy-estarian-en-interliga/

First place is Mexico 1, 2-9 not including CAzul, Pumas, Atl, Santos (so really 5-13) go to Interliga. Who is currently in 13th? Oh, America.

(ok, if the champ is one of those teams, America really squeaks in as the 7th Interliga team, not the 8th, but who is counting)

22. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We're wasting our best teams in ConcaChampions. How sweet it would've been to watch Santos (healthy) in Copa Liberartadores. But I guess if we want the CONCACAF to improve these tourneys are very necessary.

23. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    13th place can go to Copa Libertadores? That's ridiculous.

24. Kaney

Kaney Sleeping Dragon
    Staff Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Lake County, IL AKA Southern Wisconsin
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    On the face of it, yes. But the Mexican league has quality from top to bottom. We probably don't have a single team as strong as a Boca or a Sao Paulo but there is quality throughout and we are deeper than most if not all of the leagues in the western hemisphere.