Interesting Insights About RFK's Field

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JoeW, Nov 14, 2007.

1. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I usually think that Frank Del'Apa is a shameless homer who's insights on soccer are feeble though he phrases them with decent style. However, his latest article on ESPNnet about how the Revs feel "at home" at RFK has some interesting comments about the playing surface and the field in terms of game tactics.

"They (the Revs) know the quirks--they claim the field is aligned slightly off-center, affecting offside calls at one end--and how the grass plays -- having seen balls skip and pick up speed in the rain -- leading to handball offenses. They have experienced Christian Gomez and Jaime Moreno lining up free kicks from many different angles, similar to ones Brad Davis and Dwayne De Rosario might be lining up Sunday. They (the Revs) like to capitalize on the size of the field by stretching defenses with balls to the wings."

2. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they haven't played on it since the field redo so it will be different.

K

3. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    they havent realligned the pitch yet though

4. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they're going to hold the lead for 142 seconds this time?

5. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Actually, I think they did move it a bit. Although the field is not back to its prebaseball position, from my seat in 306 (across from SE's/Barra), the midfield stripe appeares to be a few feet to the left. I believe this was mentioned in the "Field of Dreams" thread.

asitis

6. toomanywords

toomanywords Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    A friend of mine who sometimes works for the Sports and Entertainment Commission told me during the Copa Sudamericana game against Chivas that the CONMEBOL officials were very upset to discover that one of the penalty spots was about three feet out of line with where it was supposed to be. Apparently the RFK grounds crew wasn't particularly concerned about it. Maybe they were still lined up with the pre-baseball dimensions...

7. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The link didn't work (I think the double http:// did it in), but I'm assuming you were looking at seats behind the dugout on the 3rd base line.

A number of people, in various threads, have said, 'No'.

The story is that those seats are long gone and replacing them isn't planned.

So you'll have to trust the wisdom of the masses here...and if a link is wanted use BigSoccer's search capabilities...which will lead you to unsubstantiated answers of 'no, they're long gone'. :)

9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Fixed.

10. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    One of the front offfice guys mentioned that the section behind the goal will likely become a tent area for parties/groups like they use to do on the other end.