Interesting info on a baseball strikes effect on ESPN.

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by profiled, Aug 29, 2002.

1. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 100 minutes away from a strike.

2. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Emergency ESPN Programming

It can be done. MLS, sumo, NHL, and re-runs of LLWS. All Jack, all the time. Let's see Comcast try to bump that from its systems.

3. jamesf24

jamesf24 New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Brighton, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Karate breaking competitions?

Or, I wouldnt mind seeing more of "Page" from Body Shaping.

James

4. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Because it's the end of August, I think that most of the financial obligations on the part of the owners (i.e. salaries) and the sponsorships are pretty much taken care of.

They can strike now and it can extend through the winter without a whole lot of difficulty for either side.

Starting around the time spring training gets underway, however, the players start to have more and more leverage because the banks who have loaned out money to the teams will still demand their payments and around that time, there's not a whole lot of cash coming in to the clubs. Some of the cash poor teams as well as the ones who have borrowed a ton of money should really start feeling the heat by then.

At that point it will be in the club's interest to settle and something will get done.

More than likely, if the players hold their ground, they're going to win again as they always have.

The only pressure for not cancelling the playoffs and world series comes from the Networks who paid for the rights and of course, the fans. MLB can satisfy the networks with make goods, and when has MLB or especially the Players Association ever really cared about the fans?

Enjoy the strike everyone and let's hope it's a long one so we can see more soccer on ESPN.

5. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the deadline was midnight, now they say it's 3:20 pm. Oh well, 15 hours until a strike.

MLS: Seven years without a strike.

6. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    OK, I'm gonna play devil's advocate for a moment.

Say ESPN picks up a couple of weeknight games. They're all set to broadcast them. Then baseball settles and comes back. Those games are gonna bump the soccer games off, and the Bigsoccer boards will crash.

So, my question is, if ESPN puts on soccer, and baseball settles, will you accept that baseball would replace soccer?

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jennifer Dempster, dude. She rules.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not exactly. The contract with Fox has a clause in it that MLB will have to kick back $500M if the World Series is cancelled.

What you're saying is true for the players. But for the owners, this is when the network TV money comes in, plus (for 8 teams, anyway) the premium prices for postseason games.

9. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
  10. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    I'm hearing reports that the labor negotiations have been settled.

Reporters were hovering around Fenway Park as the team waited to see if they should board a bus to the airport. The bus has been boarded.

MSNBC is reporting a settlement, from what I hear.

Just as intriguing is that three teams told Don Fehr that they would refuse to strike. A cracked baseball player union changes the American sports scene in some profound ways.

11. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like they are Doing The Right Thing and Getting on the Bus.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SnakeEyes, kiss my ***.

13. gpels

gpels New Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Rhode Island
    AARGH!!! I hate that commerical so much. FSW has the worst promos. The U.S. Open cup ad is pathetic too, a true feat in TV editing. Max Bretos going nuts for the Galaxy with his signature phony enthusiasm, followed by 5 seconds of awkward silence.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things we wish we had back for $200, Alex....