Interesting article on U23's thus far on Y-A

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by DannyUpper90, Mar 19, 2008.

1. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good read. Agree a lot with them.

2. PrimeTime8813

PrimeTime8813 Red Card

Feb 13, 2008
    Interesting article. McBride returning would do wonders to the young guns progression, but I doubt that would happen.

3. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    i prefer any over 23 be a guy whose gonna get involved in the 2010 campaign...

as to hill and edu playing "out-of-position", this has been a worthy experiment, getting a look at two young players in new positions for them...

people complain when coaches don't try things, try them and people complain again..

you just can't win...

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, the Olympics conflict with WCQs and qualifying for South Africa takes precedence. That said, here are my three:

1. Watch the matches and it's pretty obvious that one overage slot MUST go to a left back-- Bornstein or Pearce (whoever isn't playing for the Senior side).

2. We have a history of putting experience in the goal for the Olympic games. Since we are hurting for starting opportunities in meaningful games, I would take Guzan as the keeper. Primes him for being Timmy's back-up in 2010.

3. As tempted as I am to take a forward at #3, the problem is that once we fill out the WCQ roster, there aren't any good forwards left. So, I'd next look at Beasley for a possible re-hab stint, but if he's healthy enough for the Olympics, he's healthy enough for the Senior side and we need him there. The other good over-age midfield options will be needed for qualifying. There is one name, though, that really needs to get back in the saddle and play some real matches and could really help the USA come 2010 --- CORY GIBBS. If he stays healthy between now and then, I take him and play him. It's a win for the U-23s because it pushes Edu off the backline and back up into the midfield, which is like picking another midfielder for this team. It's a win for the Senior side if it helps Cory get back to competing for a starting/backup role in 2010.

5. DiscoWarrior11

Dec 27, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    funny that they think Feilhaber would be a good addition as an "overage" player.

6. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be good to read an article that wasn't written like an answer to an 8th grade pop quiz.

Just saying - that writer needs some edjmacation.

7. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone tell me why Kamani Hill wasn't looked at as an option at right wing? He obviously is athletic, has pretty good ball skills and has looked decent attacking, so why not give him a run out? We have been short on depth at the wing throughout this tournament anyway, with Kljestan & Gaven both used on the wing to varying degrees throughout the tournament, despite the fact that the position doesn't really suit either.

I'm still not a member of the Sal Zizzo bandwagon like so many are, so why hasn't Kamani Hill had a chance at RM? I think he'd be a great fit.

8. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    suspect hill got a look in training...

jusr because a guy doesn't do a match in a role doesn't mean he's not been looked at in a scrimmage during training...

9. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I love the Gibbs idea assuming he's ready to go. You can either stick him at LB, or put him at CB and slide Spector out to LB. In all honesty, I'm not a huge Pearce fan so if Gibbs can't go I'd just as soon send Parkhurst or Demerit and put Spector on the left (he's ahead of Bornstein at that position right now anyway IMO).

As for a striker, with Altidore gone I think we're going to want both Ching and EJ in Guatemala, but how about Kenny Cooper??

10. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree , but i still am for BMB playing if he wishes to make a return for the Olympics...simply becasue the lack of a striker is a big issue,,,and maybe the Olympic team can go further having BMB around and that means more experience for a whole lot of other players.....and not a posible 3 and out if we cannot figure how to score more consistently....

11. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    the draw on april 20th might define what overage guy gets selected, as match-ups can be known then and the overage pool used correctly...

the gualtemala august 20 match should get primary calls, so a 2nd line of overage player NOT needed then can do the olympic gig..

agree mcbride fits the call...

perhaps a demerit too, the more quality matches, the better he might be in the wcq process...

still, the u-23 in general don't have a major drop-off when we look at 2nd line seniors...

i can see some one like twellman doing the olympics....if mcrirde does NOT

12. PhillyQuakesFan

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed. For all the people saying we should send our 3 best overage players to the Olympics--remember that we're already going to be without Adu, Bradley, Altidore, Edu, Spector, possibly Feilhaber...am I missing anyone?? If we go into Guatemala without all those guys PLUS Donovan, Dempsey, and say Boca, you can practically kiss 3 points goodbye and getting even 1 becomes a serious concern.

I don't think that any U-23 guys should be held out of the Olympics to play in Guatemala regardless of how vital they are to the senior team, but the senior team has to have the first pick of overage guys.

13. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Why this distinction? If Bradley, Edu and Altidore are vital first choices for the senior team (not sayign they are, just folowing the assumption), why do they get a pass on the Guatemala game just because of their age? Is it just a convenient way of trying to do both things well? If the truth is that points against Guatemala is the most important goal, then shouldn't BB get first choice on his roster and Peter gets whoever qualifies for his? If the Olympics are important enough to take away some of the otherwise-first-choicers, then it doesn't really matter the ages, just tactics. Maybe it would be possible to see Donovan in the olympics, but either Bradley or Edu in Guatemala, for example. This seems more sensible to me than choosing based on age.

Also, this is the modern air travel era -- is it wholly inconceivable that someone could participate in both? Maybe LD could be on the roster but, Spector-esque, miss the group matches and show up for the knockouts after the qualy (disclaimer: I have no idea exactly how the qualification fixtures and the olympics schedule overlaps).

14. PhillyQuakesFan

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because those guys have been part of the U-23 team and (even if, in Bradley's case, they didn't play in the qualifying tournament) were the ones that got the team to Beijing. They deserve the reward of playing in the Olympics, unless of course they would rather play in the WCQ.

Problem is that you only have 18 guys on the Olympic roster, so you can't afford to bring someone who won't be there for the group stages.

15. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    adu and altidore are NOT 1st teamers at the senior level...

bradley is, and edu might be...

no edu nor bradley, se can trot out the likes of mastroeni or clark and get by on the road...

suspect a healthy ching starts in guatemala, with dempsey and donovan out there...

beasley if healthy could be there....

look at the squad of guys for the poland match, and you might well see the options of the overage players ....

guzan....demerit...twellman might well be the overage players...and none of those 3 will be missed versus guatemala, and could be starters for the u-23

16. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    All four of these guys are 1st teamers in my book. Every single one of them has proven to be more creative, quicker, and hungrier than the lot of players currently occupying their roles. Altidore and Edu may still need merits but if you look at their competition....Twellman, Ching, Johnson.....Clark, Mastroeni, Feilhaber respectively there's really little doubt. Let's not forget, these guys know each other well. Something needs to be said for chemistry.

17. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    adu and altidore, should become 1st teamers some time during the wcq process...

suspect once beijing is over, they are offensive subs during the semis and during the hex become established starters...

exact timeline, club play helps, plus solid play off the bench too for country

18. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I noticed that, too.

Maybe by calling him an "overage" player, they hope he will behave more maturely next time. ;)