Interesting Article on the Housing Market

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by Sachin, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    http://biz.yahoo.com/bizwk/050315/nf200503156227_db093_1.html

The part about people buying second and third homes caught my eye. We (Leslie and I) were talking about it the other day. We may consider buying her mom's home in Nice, France after she passes on. And we're looking at what it takes to buy lakefront/beachfront homes.

Sachin

2. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Interesting article. I love real estate, yet the US isnt where I want to buy my next home. I think Im going to Europe too, Spain for me though.

Plus, I cant just ignore the bubble issue, its rather worrisome.

3. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    "Of course there's no bubble..." LOL. I think that is a typo. Should have removed the "no." This housing market reminds me of the tulipmania in Holland, in 1636.

http://www.dirtgardener.com/TipSheets/Bulbs/Tulipamiana.html

"Traders could earn as much as 60,000 florins (today approx. $44,000) in a month -- not a bad commission even by 20th century standards. People were desperate to cash in on the bulb-trading frenzy! Small businesses were sold and family jewels were traded."

4. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    The real question is what will be the catalyst for housing prices to drop. As I have stated previously, the federal government through tax and fiscal policies is creating artificial wealth. This situation is eerily familiar to the dot.com bubble. When I hear people talking about how you can't lose buy investing in a house, I get a little nervous.

6. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001

That's the real question. It will have to be when Greespan substantially raises interest rates. As a new homeowner..............the bubble also scares me.

7. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    I wouldnt trust Greenspan unquestionably. As the records from the fed meetings (internally) were revealed this past december after the 5 yr waiting period, it showed that the feds indeed knew of a bubble in 99, yet decided that it was no big deal and even defended their stance in front of congress/senate hearing.

8. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    What a horrible article. Didn't get much out of it, except that we should all move to Coeur D'Alene, Del Ray, or Detroit.

Also Del Ray is "Leave it to Beaver" ?!? Has she ever been there?

9. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People also need to consider that Real Estate is NOT equivalent to the dot.com bubble in that the bubble is not every where.

For example, here in the Boston area, nearly every professional feels that while prices have gone up, we are no where near a true bubble. There might be a small 5% correction soon but nothing in terms of a burst as the demand for housing still outweighs the supply.

The equations for a bubble bursting will be different based on where you are in the country.

As a side note, for people waiting for housing prices to come down based on interest rates going up, it won't change your buying power at all unless you are going to buy your house in cash.

Andy

10. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    I think Andy is right-on.

Depends on where you are.

Here in S. Cali things are pretty crazy. People are getting ARMs everywhere and if rates go up...? I can't imagine that there is not going to be a major correction within a year or two. Average home prices are over $500k. It should drop 15-20% IMO.

But, in Arizona, there's still room to go up.

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    In the DC area, the population is expected to increase by some 1 million people over the next 20 years or so. Housing stock within 50 miles of DC won't expand by that much, which is forcing people further and further out.

It's gotten so bad that virtually every developer is salivating over Southeast DC and adjoining parts of Prince Georges County as the last places within a reasonable distance of "downtown".

I can foresee prices holding steady at worst, but the housing stock isn't keeping up with demand.

Sachin

12. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    We've thought about PG County. (Hyattsville, Mt. Ranier). Of course we've also thought about moving to North Carolina as well.

EDIT: I think we're due for a bit of a correction. THings have gone up so much that people are taking on all-sorts of loans, and specualtors are running rampant in the market. A substantial interest rate increase could cause a bit of a problem.

13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    The problem with PG and DC is that the schools suck. That's a massive barrier to true redevelopment.

Sachin

14. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    That's a consideration, but we don't have kids yet, and will probably send them to Catholic School anyway.

15. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    In Bay Area, CA, the housing price has been kept going up. When a similar house as mine was put on the market for $795k, I knew we have a bubble. I am not scared of it being burst since I owned a house for a long time and I intend to stay in the house for some more. It will probably hurt first time buyers who may have to move around, or buyers who have been investing in 2nd & 3rd homes.

16. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    But it could hurt your resale values.

Educational disparities, even within school districts, have been a major driver in housing price escalation. People will literally pay just about anything to get into decent school districts.

It's been a major problem for the District. I can't tell you how many people I know who lived on Capitol Hill or Adams Morgan until their kid turned 3 and it was time to start school. They moved out to Reston or Bethesda as fast as possible.

Sachin

17. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    True.

18. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Very true. My dad move to the south eastern CT area to work for Pfizer. Pfizer is a mjor employer that over the course of decades brought in many new people to the area. And almost all of them flocked to my town (where I grew up) for the schools.
    Growing up, I always wondered why all of all neighbors seemd to pfizer employees. And my parents answer was always somethign along the lines of "this town has the best school system, and most people will trade that for a nicer town."
    and many of those who didnt live there, sent there kids to boarding or priate schools.

19. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    For the most part I agree, but salaries are increasing at a much slower rate than house prices. Eventually people are going to say no way to spending half or more of their salary on a mortgage. I have to wonder when smart companies are going to start moving their headquarters to places like Ohio where industrial jobs are in decline and the house prices are dirt cheap. True, many companies in the DC area need to be here, but many don't. "But who wants to relocate to Ohio?" you ask. I do. I can buy a decent sized house for 1/10th what I would pay here in Maryland.

20. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Some thoughts, reposted from two months ago in P&CE:

Back in 1997, I rented a room in a house on a street where the houses across the street were on Seattle's Lake Washington. Since the house was clearly the dump of the neighborhood and I was working in the King County Courthouse at the time anyhow, I went and looked up the property info at the courthouse one lunch hour, as well as the neighboring homes.

Some of our neighbors had homes valued in the millions back then. But my landlord had bought the property back in like 1989 before Boeing took one of its periodic nosedives. He bought the property for something like $279,000 and it was valued as of the mid-1990s at something like $180,000. I think the housing industry term for this is "ouch."

He still managed to break even on it when he sold it to the neighbor behind us. He probably got a good sale on it because the dump was built in 1906 and the only way it would've fit housing codes if it was torn down and rebuilt would have been to build up into the neighbor's view. I'm sure my former landlord used that as leverage in the negotiations. Now, looking it up online, I see my ex-neighbor sold it in 2003 for an even 400 grand. And it's valued at $432,000 now.

The problem with this particular bubble is all those adjustable-rate mortgages out there. If the dollar goes kablooie, Alan Greenspan is going to have jack up interest rates. If those mortgages get adjusted upwards as a consequence, and people find themselves with a few extra hundred dollars a month of mortgage and no corresponding rise in salary, we may see a huge wave of defaults, exacerbated by the number of properties on the market as a whole lot of other people will be in the same boat.

21. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
  22. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone else read this as being about sending a kid to pirate school? 'Cause that would rock.

23. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Central NJ and the housing market in my town has been hot for a number of years now. Houses selling in days. 10% increase in value year to year. Lately though I am seeing "For Rent" signs everywhere -- outside apartments and multi-family rental homes. What does this mean?

24. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
  25. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    That means that there are a lot of people out there who are speculating in real estate. If you rent, you should be able to get some good deals.

Sachin