Inter Milan Donate To Zapatistas!

Discussion in 'Inter Milan' started by FdL RASH, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The link doesn't work. I thought Inter Milan supporters were more middle/upper class and AC Milan were the club of the people? Just curious.

2. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard about this on Univision.

It was Javier Zanetti's idea. Having read about Zanetti and high profile Inter supporter's, this doesn't suprise me at all. They share many similar views with the Zapatistas. It's nice that the money is going to the village, but I must say that I don't like the idea of supporting the Zapatistas.

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Please explain. I thought the Zapatistas were for the people? Btw, I love Zanetti's skill/passion on the pitch.

4. FdL RASH

FdL RASH New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    The link worked for me but try this:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1330558,00.html

Catfish, as Greddy said it was Zanetti's idea. He convinced the club to donate the money they gathered from players' fines (like when they show up late or when they're on their cell phone when they shouldn't be.) So the supporters' (as far as I know) had nothing to do with it.

http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/zapatista.html
    http://www.ezln.org/
    http://www.zapatistas.org/

Greddy, why are you against it? A little bit of money to help rebuild a village that government forces destroyed.

5. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The money is fine. Like I said, It's nice that the money is going to help the village.

What I don't like is the vocal support of a militant organization in Mexico. I don't like that Marcos is on national television wearing an Inter shirt that was a gift from the club. I can see where the Zapatistas come from, but I do not support the way they choose to get their messege across. I wouldn't have a problem with them if they put down their guns and formed an actual political party (which they were moving towards), but as it is, that isn't happening.

As to why this doesn't suprise me, for those who don't know, Zanetti, and many high profile Inter supporters, as well as people within the club, are staunch communists. Even though it doesn't make much sense, considering that they are all hugely profiting form thier own capitalist ways.

6. FdL RASH

FdL RASH New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    You make it sound like the Zapatistas are conspiring to overthrow the Mexican government. They are simply trying to defend their land and keep their culture alive. As far as I'm aware since the uprising Jan. 1st 1994 (when NAFTA when into effect) the EZLN hasn't carried out any offensive military operations. Ever since then it's been PR campaigns and getting their message to the outside world to build support. They've become a mainstream issue for the left and have support from the Church (liberation theologists.) If they put down their guns and stopped the resistance they would have been bulldozed into oblivion long ago.

While I don't agree with their ideology or tactics entirely I certainly support their movement against corporate globalization and a corrupt and violent government.

I wonder how this goes down with Inter's ultras, most of whom are "actively" right-wing...

I'm suprised a club would do anything like this if there was a danger it could be controversial. Maybe it's influence from those high profile supporters you mentioned. Do you know if Zanetti and some of those celebrity supporters are Stalinists (or what exactly)? Are they PRC members?

7. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Where did you hear/read this? I am a history teacher and find this all extremely fascinating. I'm not for violence and also am not doubting your claims. Just curious as to more background.

I too am shocked. I thought Inter Milan's supporters were more of the middle/upper class in Milan. Ironic, since Milan is supposed to be the club of the commoner in Milano...owned by the most powerful man in Italy.

Thanks.

8. smartbomb

smartbomb Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Marcos used to play soccer... in fact he was bound to join a professional team in Mexico. So it's just his favorite team is the nerazurri :D

All that zapatista thing is weird... I don't know why the government has allowed a non-official, armed group for so much time. It seems they can dissolve the organization, but for some reason they don't want to.