Instead of expansion in Philly, bring the Mstars

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by soccerphan, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmmm, prooocccesssed meeeeeeeaaaats...gurgle, gurgle.

2. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Maybe someday Baltimore and Philly could share a team. Might be a better relationship, as many more fans would be willing to make the trip to every home game. And you could offer true half-season tickets for fans in the respective cities.

Call'um Chesapeake SC.

3. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see why Baltimore citizens who are probably already D.C. fans would travel farther to follow a Philly team.

4. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even more to the point, why would we share a team with anyone? Why would Baltimore want to share one? Why would anyone want to share a team? I think it would be better for us to have a team and start rivalries with the other east coast teams. I don't care about Baltimore, they can do whatever they want; might be a good market for an A-league team for United or the Phalanx, for that matter. (Yes, I am still pushing for that name!! :) )

5. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we in Philly don't need to be pushing for the Metros, DC United, etc. to come to Philly. We need to be pushing for the US to play here. It's been over a year since the Linc was opened and the Nats have yet to come to Philly.

6. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure they may start using larger venues like the Linc if they start getting larger crowds. Right now one of the MLS SSSs is adequate in terms of attendance...

7. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the US played a game at the Linc they would get a minimum of 45k or more. So I think they they could do much better in Philly than in any other MLS city. The US hasn't played a game in Philly since 1991/92 when they attacted over 40k for two friendlies in an era when the US wasn't drawing as good as they are now.

8. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    When Lurie buys a team or promises a sweetheart rent deal then the odds of getting a game will be much more likely. With possibly 6 new SSS opening in the next 3 1/2 years (yeah some will be delayed) it'll be hard for other markets to get games.

9. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Agreed. There are a number of Baltimoreans in the Screaming Eagles, actually. And isn't there a pretty decent rivalry between Baltimore and Philly, with the '83 World Series and the Owens debacle?

10. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, it would be interesting to see. I don't know if they would get that many more than LA, NY, or Chicago, which all have venues to accomodate larger crowds. Hmm, this is all very intriguing, if Lurie were that intelligent he would be tapping these domestic/international soccer opportunities. And with the MLS draft being held here, maybe this is a sign of things to come for Philadelphia.

11. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    When is that?

12. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, no-go on the Metros marking time in Philly. I think the market is a no-brainer for MLS. Philly would draw; look at what the Charge was bringing in. I was also involved in organizing that game at Franklin Field way back when with Dnipropetrovsk. Speaking some Russian, I served as the Ukrainians pathetic translator. Got forty thousand for that game. With South Jersey and the Delaware County bubbling with soccer studs, you can't go wrong. For the thing to really take off, the team would eventually need their own soccer den.

13. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    January sometime, the second week I think.