Insight behind the Wagner trade; possible new player for Spirit

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FlashMan, Nov 13, 2003.

1. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is from the latest Soccer America:

Marta is 17 and is described in the article as having "preternatural ability", and is compared to a young Sissi...and a young Pele! She scored 6 goals in the U-19 finals when Brazil reached the semifinals. She had 3 goals in the World Cup and has 11 in 13 matches at the senior level.

I don't remember seeing her play (I didn't see Brazil's games in the WWC), but she sounds like a jewel.

Would be great to see her out at Torero next year, but who knows how it's all going to work out.

2. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming that Zhang Ouying would have been the international not re-signed. Marta would then have been in the midfield with her Brazilian teammate Daniela - and they would have had each other for support off the field.

3. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The possibility of Marta being the player was brought up on the last page of the thread about the Wagner-Hucles trade.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=70437&perpage=15&pagenumber=8

Back then, I had wondered (but not posted) about the coach being willing to get another young Brazilian midfielder when he had apparently had problems with the one already on hand...

Here is part of what was said about her in the FIFA "Players to Watch" section:

"Marta became the Brazilian star of the future when she caught everyone’s attention at the FIFA U-19 Women’s World Championship Canada 2002. The 17-year old with the finishing confidence of a forward, the resourcefulness of a midfielder, and the pace and power of an older woman, scored six times to lead her nation to a surprise fourth place finish."

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/03/en/t/pl/190358.html

4. sokrandlaw5

sokrandlaw5 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Somewhere near and f
    My question is, if WUSA "folded" (ceased operations), is the Wagner-Hucles trade valid if there is a resurrected league? Given the speculation of fewer teams and no internationals (from Europe) how can we speculate that the domestic players are to "honor" anything that transpired prior to the demise of the league?

I guess we will find out soon enough since the traditional draft would take place in a month or two.