Injury Update discussion

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by AcetheTigah, Aug 28, 2013.

1. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Carr is practicing again but what of Rico, Barnesy, and Omar the Magnificent?

2. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw Omar at the match last night in street clothes. Didn't get a chance to talk to him though. He seemed to be walking alright (not purporting to be his doctor, and he could still be a long way from the field; just no crutches, hitch in his step, etc.).

3. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was injured by a bad tackle in that last reserves game, last week he was running during training. I'd imagine that he is close to fully participating in training.

Hoping to see a mid September pairing of Omar and Calen.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  4. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Driver just getting some rest on Tues?

5. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

did he play-no
    did he rest-we had a conversation and I can be long winded, so rest, no.

6. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question was referring to whether he's injured or not? Did he not play because he's injured, that is the question.

7. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    he said he was fine-I don't know if that was accurate or just like a "how you doing" reply

JC507 repped this.
  8. DNez2001

DNez2001 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston 'burb
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He and Barnes came and sat in the upper part of Section 204 for the game

9. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Cummings and Clark the Dynamo currently have over $500,000 in cap space unavailable to the team. That is a significant challenge for any MLS team.

10. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The whole Cummings deal is a mistake, and a mess. That was a risky transfer, and we as Dynamo fans lost.

Hydro repped this.
  11. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Cummings thing has bothered me a lot for a while, agree with the use of the word "MISTAKE". Hardly anybody here sees it as a mistake, or it's one of those things that people rather not talk because the sunshine police just doesn't like to criticize their own team.

I wonder how long we have until we can dump Cummings. I wish there was a mechanism that allows teams to do something else when they can't play are our on contract, such as work minimum wage at McDonalds (suttle clue to change discussion to nonsoccer issues).

JC507 and Heft repped this.
  12. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had no problem on gambling on Omar Cummings. Had that one panned out, I think a few of the issues the Dynamo have right now would have been solved.

It hasn't so we move on.

redinthemorning repped this.
  13. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Isn't Cummings contract up at the end of the season? He better get well quick or his next contract is for peanuts if he gets an offers at all.

14. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acquiring two injured forwards Carr and Cummings (different years) was silly gamble. Buying our speedy forwards at the "sears table of broken appliances" is a goofy move, probably due to our owners limits on spending money.

Carr has a bright future on radio or TV, Cummings has a bright future doing something else. Lets wish them good luck and "move on" to find replacements for them.

15. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    You serious? Look I get saying Cummings is a mistake. I may be what you classify as the sunshine police, but I can fully understand that train of thought. However, the season is not over and he has a chance still to deliver something memorable. I don't think it will happen, but its possible.

As for Carr, did you actually watch the MLS Cup last year? You serious bro?

redinthemorning and JC507 repped this.
  16. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, im serious, im not a big Carr supporter. He was on recovery for a long time and now relegated to radio or TV commentary.

Havent seen much of Carr or Cummings on the field lately, so in my book, they aint bringing anything to the team.

17. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    By that theory we should never sign any player because they could mess up their knee.

JC507 and *rey* repped this.
  18. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I like Carr, but he has not produced very much. But as you said, he did get a goal in the Cup.

19. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't think he was saying that at all.

I think he's saying that Carr has not contributed much in terms of production, and that Cummings will likely never contribute much.

20. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Heft's correct. Not saying that at all.

BTW, I tried to use the "did well during the MLS Cup final" excuse with my boss during a recent mid-year review. I reminded him that I did a heck of a job on a project during the Summer of 2012. My boss quickly responded with polite corporate jargon that could have been translated to "what have you done for me lately?"

Darn people, nobody wants to give us credit for past actions. Everybody wants us to continue producing.

21. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang man, the season isn't over yet. If Cummings is able to come off the bench at the end of the season and help make a playoff push, I won't call him a mistake. Lets see how the season plays out.

22. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Look at Carr's salary. Then Look at his contribution on the field. If you can't see good value there, you are blind.

He was more than MLS Cup also. He played about 20 games or so last year and played very well. Is he a world beater? Of course not, but he filled his role to perfection to stretch defenses and work hard for the team defensively.

Will Bruin is not having as good a year this year as he had last year in part, due to the lack of Calen Carr next to him to open space near him. Barnes plays as a more quasi-midfielder compared to Carr who was out there to stretch defenses.

23. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I see value in all players. I may just have a different rating system then some. The Dynamo trades are interesting.

24. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A silly gamble that most likely paid off. If we don't get Carr then who's to say we make it to the Cup? Carr was a big reason we made it into the playoffs.

And we gave up what for Carr? Oduro? I'm not seeing the silly gamble there. I thought it was a great trade.

What did we give up for Cummings? A backup defender that would be behind brunner on the depth chart? It sucks that he got re-injured but you have to take the good with the bad. Most of Dom's transactions pan out, this one probably would have as well had he not picked up another injury. And who's to say Cummings doesn't come back in the next month or so and gives us a boost.

Most importantly, lets say we didn't trade for Cummings. So we have extra cap room and that's it. That'd be the only difference. What's to say that we would have brought in a player that would have been great on the field with that cap room. There's a chance we would have just kept camargo and not brought anyone else in.

redinthemorning and brahmafutbol repped this.
  25. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two points:

1. As I recall, the telling and most problematic Cummings injuries occurred AFTER he arrived in Houston. If I'm wrong on this, I'd love to hear it.

It is easy to really second guess the Colorado Rapids deals. We traded Mullin away and COR used him to win a CUP. He contributed well for them up until this year. The guy we got -- not so much. And injuries played a big part.

We traded Nathan Sturgis to COR and he is a vital part of their resurgence this year. We got Cummings and he has not been able to get on the field due to injuries.

But you have to look at everything in context and sometimes you just get unlucky. I don't remember anyone on the board not being excited about the prospect of Cummings playing for us last January.

2. With great respect, I just don't get the whole "I'm owed a constantly successful team that does not suffer any of the misfortune that other teams experience. I'm a victim if my team is not always winning. "

The concept that there are 100% safe and reliable player options, strategy options, and decisions for the team to make is a fallacy. S**t happens. Things don't always work out.

There is no reason to evaluate decisions in hindsight because you can't make any decisions in hindsight. They all won't work out, and random chance plays a big and significant factor in the outcomes.