Injury restart

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Greyhnd00, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Greyhnd00

Greyhnd00 New Member

Jan 17, 2000
    Rediculously far nor
    Help me out guys
    What is the proper restart(USSF/FIFA) when you stop play for an injury and one team clearly has possesion?

USSF/FIFA----Drop ball
    NFHS------IFK
    RIGHT????

2. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

USSF/FIFA----Drop ball
    NFHS------IFK for team with possession

3. whistleblowerusa

whistleblowerusa BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    Yes you are correct, providing, in NFHS, the team taking the IDFK was in possession of the ball at the time you stopped play.

4. Greyhnd00

Greyhnd00 New Member

Jan 17, 2000
    Rediculously far nor
    This is kind of an implied rule in the USSF as it isnt directly addressed like it is in NFHS.....I won a beer on this one.

5. MPJ334

MPJ334 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Chelsea,New York, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    grey, i do'nt quite get your drift...but from what i think i'm reading, it's more of a spirit thing to give an IFK than a law thing???

6. whistleblowerusa

whistleblowerusa BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    Re: Re: Injury restart

Grey, USSF/FIFA does address this clearly in Law 8, under the heading
    "dropped Ball." You have a temporary stoppage for the injury while the ball was in play. and, it was for a reason not mentioned anywhere in the Laws.

7. Greyhnd00

Greyhnd00 New Member

Jan 17, 2000
    Rediculously far nor
    Re: Re: Re: Injury restart

I guess what I mean is I am looing for a statement that directly addresses that exact situation exclusively in the LOTG the same as in the NFHS rules........It is covered but not as easily for all to find, which is why the discussion came up during a state cup game I had this weekend. My AR said it was a IFK......I said I disagree and wanteed to prove it clearly in the LOTG....You kind f have to walk through a few steps to come to the conclusion:
    1)the list of IFK offenses(it is not in there)
    2)DFK offenses(not there either)
    3)dropped ball description---everything not somewhere else.....
    Kind of hard for us with a second grade reading comprehension level!

8. Statesman

Statesman New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    The name says it all
    Dropped ball rule says it's the restart for all occurances not mentioned elsewhere. Injuries aren't mentioned elsewhere. Therefore the restart for a injury is a drop ball.

Where exactly is the confusion? Imagine if they had to describe every single possible incident in the rules instead of saying anything else...

9. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Most of the time a drop ball after this kind of incident will result in the team who had possession prior to the stopage either being given the ball unopposed, or the other side clearing the ball back to the opposition defence. There is usually an unofficial "code of conduct" between sides.

10. Greyhnd00

Greyhnd00 New Member

Jan 17, 2000
    Rediculously far nor
    kind of like High School? :)

11. Statesman

Statesman New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    The name says it all
    Try reading the rules explaining the NCAA BCS breakdown for college football :)

12. Greyhnd00

Greyhnd00 New Member

Jan 17, 2000
    Rediculously far nor
    Now that I am becoming reletively comfortable with HS rules to the extent that I am doing more HS then USSF this fall, I am not excited about trying to lern NCAA......Of course it helps also that the nearest NCAA college soccer program is almost 3 hours away.

13. SUNDROP

SUNDROP Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Grand Junction,CO USA
    Worth mentioning the usage of that drop ball. I'm sure most of us would agree that alot depends on position on the field - dropping the ball to the keeper or a defender without inviting an opposing player, to prevent that stoppage from resulting in an easy scoring opportunity for the attacking team. It's nowhere in the laws, and we can't forbid them from coming up, but one of those "spririt of the game" things. Experience has shown me that you can't count on the type of courtesy play we see at the pro level in these situations. EVEN when explaining to a player what the classy thing to do is! I often drop to the keeper if in the area and suggest he pick it up. The game continues, and no one seems to mind. A ceremonial drop ball in a dangerous area that results in a goal would be a disaster, regardless of whose player was injured.

14. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once when I dropped the ball for the keeper, he booted it out on the first bounce. Since then, I tell the keeper he can pick up the ball whenever I have a keeper only drop ball.

15. Andyrey

Andyrey New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Raleigh NC
    Once, I had a situation where the keeper got possesion of the ball and then fell on top of it and was winded. This happened right in front of the goal mouth. I stopped play because of the injury to the keeper and then restarted with a dropped ball at the edge of the goal area.

The other team ignored my hints that they sould not send some one to the drop ball, and what I did was to step in front of the other player right after I dropped the ball so the keeper could get it.

I cought some flack from the coach, but when I explaind to him after the game why I did it, he was OK.