Iniesta

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Joep, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    I think if you'll read my initial post again, carefully, you'll find that I did not say Iniesta is the next Pep, but that he could possibly become a player of that level. Notice the subtle, yet crucial difference.

2. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    True, Deco has just about reached that all too familiar physical barrier of 30. But he´s got at least 2-3 more high quality years left in him.

And your right Andres is not a DM. But check this out. Xavi started as a sort of DM and slowly earned the right to play on the "Attacking" side of the ball. True, Iniesta is more offense oriented, but he´s been doing a hell of a job as a "quasi" DM for quite a few games now. That´s why I posed the question: Can he and Xavi alternate fluidly during a game together as DM´s and CM´s. I think they can. That would allow DECO to move freely on Attack and regain his old form.

Think about that.

3. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    I´m not attacking you Joep. And I appologise if you misunderstood me.

I´m playing the Devil´s advocate here. Somebody has got to argue the facts. If not, more and more plastics will believe that Iniesta is the answer to all our prayers. When in fact he is not.

4. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Xavi was tried as DM, we fell to 12th in the table in '03-'04. Xavi has the ability to create from deep, however, in order to be successful we needed hardwork across the center of the park. Which is why we improved greatly once we picked up Davids and moved Ronaldinho to the wing w/ Luis Garcia on the right.

Iniesta has the advantage of a player like Deco and a player like Xavi. Deco pushes forward all the way to the top of the box..and works hard to break up counters (he's no Davids clearly); Xavi organizes the game and completes damn near ALL his passes, makes excellent decisions and holds the ball in traffic better than anyone on the team.

Iniesta through firsthand training could work to combine their best assets and place them into his game

If only..they (Deco and Xavi) were better goalscorers.

5. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iniesta imo does better at the DM position than Xavi.

I think most people on the board know that with a healthy lineup that the midfield WILL be Deco - Ed - Xavi. I also believe that most people still want to see that lineup.

Wonka, as you and I have seen for the years that Iniesta has played, he has a very good pass, reads the game well, and can dribble very well. People are raving now because of all the time he is getting. Plus on BS it is fun to exaggerate things, especially with young players.

I do believe Iniesta is already in an elite, or at least high level, class. At his age, he should go on to be among the best in the world. Although from the few games where he has been played as a DM, he looks like he could flourish in that role, but I do not see him there. I believe he is going to add the defensive end to his game (or improve) so he can replace Deco and play alongside Xavi.

anyway, im late for work.

6. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    That... I buy. Will he eventually replace DECO? Without question. But Not yet. 2 years from now.

7. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    patience grasshoppers...I love this kid, he is starting to show wha twe have heard about for some time....

this season has given him a chance to grow and show and he has doen both with aplomb

keep bringing him along and cultivating his talents

8. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    Excellent points. I'm just so enjoying the visible progress Iniesta is making I might have gotten a bit carried away. I do believe they have the qualities to fill in those two roles among the two of them, although someone like Edmilson, who is pure that position, also works. Against Arsenal, I'd definitly go with Edmilson, Deco/Bommel and Iniesta. It'd be rushing Xavi back at a too crucial moment, eventhough...it's Xavi! remember that game in Madrid? He was untouchable. What a player.

9. Caribbean boy

Caribbean boy New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    barbados westindies
    i like iniesta in the midfield along with xavi. this gives us the ability to keep the ball in tight situations as the two have excellent ball controll!!! deco holds the ball a bit too long and looks to dribble which can lead to fast breaks by the opposition!! we should play the same team in the finals with xavi and messi getting the last ten minutes!!!

10. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy is amazing.

11. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding. He looked fantastic when he got on. His energy helped change the game.

12. sibuor

sibuor New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    iniesta to me is easily the best spanish player in the world at the moment.

13. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about "easily", but an argument that he's the best can be made based upon the past three months. Truly, he was perfect yesterday.

14. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to keep Iniesta and give him more time on the field.

15. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iniesta should be the 1st sub off the bench next year for all 3 midfield positions. I really think he should start in place of Edmilson next year for some smaller games. Iniesta can build so well out of the back. Xavi is the best creator on the team, but Iniesta links the defense to the forwards most effectively (maybe only because Xavi no longer comes that deep). By the end of next season it should be decided though if Iniesta will take Deco's place or Edmilson's.

Man, just imagine IF Iniesta puts on some more muscle/practices defense a bit more, adds a long shot, and finishes a bit better.

16. elchico

elchico Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Lebanon
    Iniesta always showed the potential, something magical...Now though, he's just plain ill, and honestly, it's breathtaking to watch. Whenever i'm with friends, the guy's really becoming as impressive to brag about as my 360+HDTV combo ;)

17. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    Haha, I;ve watched this champions league campaign with someone who does net neccesarily support Barca (Ajax fan, but he did of course support barca against Chelsea and Arsenal) and he completely fell in love with Iniesta aswell. Ok, partly cause he doesn't look healthy enough to play football, but those skills are just too much to ignore.

I will say it now:

I have a new favorite footballplayer on the fields today:

Andres Iniesta

18. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    The problem is, he's not near the class of Deco and Xavi and can't function well with those two already playing. I'd say sell him and get a proper destroyer to line-up in front of the defense.

19. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    Bertje, selling Iniesta? you've obviously been a bit too influenced by van Gaal. 'well, he's young and talented, but we can;t use him now, so let's sell him'. Iniesta's time will come, mind, Deco is 28, whereas Andres is only 21. Like somebody here already said, he should be the first of the bench for every midfield position, and that includes Deco's and Edmilson's position, he has proven he can play there against Benfica. We'll be playing alot of matches again next year so we need him for depth too. After next season, My guess is Deco's position will be his.

Did you know what Ten Cate said against Sportweek three years back? He was tired of Barca always being linked with players and he said 'now van der Vaart. Excellent player, don't get me wrong, but we already have a very talented young midfielder. Barcelona is gonne have alot of pleasure from him, write his name down: Andres Iniesta'. That came true big time if you ask me.

20. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Who cares what Ten Cate says? I prefer to think for myself. Deco is going to be first choice for some time and even more so for Xavi. Xavi does what Iniesta does only miles better. And Iniesta can't play in the same midfield with Xavi. I doubt Iniesta is going to be second choice for a year or 5.

21. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    I think you're looking to much to the situation right now. To just throw away a talent like that has 'Gerard' written all over it. only Iniesta will be better than Gerard.

22. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    A few weeks back i thought you had some football sense. Clearly you don't.

Not one person on the board would give up Iniesta for anything. His upside potential is probably more than Xavi's will be at his peak. And since he isn't a carbon copy of Xavi, there is more versatility to where in the midfield he can fit, as previously stated by Joep.

For you to think Deco will be starting for sometime, this is doubtful. Deco is probably a guaranteed first choice for the next season and maybe the one after it. But for him to split time with Iniesta is not inconceivable. Currently, Iniesta is virtually first choice off of the bench for three position players. Not many people playing professionally, at a high level, can make this same claim.

Needless to say, losing Iniesta would be like taking 20 steps backward for Barca because he is probably going to be around for the next 10 season and could be a main contributor for 75% of this time.

As for any weakness in his game, it would have to be his outside shooting. This is still an part of Xavi's game which he still doesn't have a decent grasp onto. Once this part of Iniesta's game has been improved he is virtually unstoppable.

23. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    You're overrating Iniesta, but that's understandable, considering he had a great season (when Xavi was out!). But I'll take the bet that Iniesta will never be as good as Xavi.

24. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Great season. He has had a couple (3) great season where most of us have seen him improve greatly. Remember this, (and I mention this because it is fresh) how did the game change with Arsenal when Iniesta replaced Edmilson. The game completely opened up and Dinho moved back to the left and Eto'o into the center. He spreads the ball through out the pitch and there are less balls given away.

Anyway, to say he is over-rated would imply his is even hyped or highly marketed, neither is true.

25. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iniesta is good enough to start for many many clubs throughout Spain and Europe. the fact that he doesn't start here is NOT a reason to sell him.

He's the reason Fabregas got impatient and was lured by Wenger's candy. Iniesta has increasingly seen more and more time on the field, next season it'll be difficult for Rijkaard to find time for Him and Van Bommel, but Deco has had patches of poor play where Iniesta put together a marvelous season..(even with no goals)