Infants at Games

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Ch(Elsey), Apr 1, 2014.

1. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good point, that perhaps I don't appreciate enough. I do when I fly, I mean, I know it's (probably) not fun for some guy to have to give me a pat down, let alone a lot of other people. So I try to not be a jerk about it even though it's very irksome. It's probably similar for event security, even though they probably don't need to do pat downs.

On the other hand, this is an area where there is direct customer interaction, and it's part of the experience of going to games.

2. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I meant to mention, we had no issue with the diaper bag last game. The security and ticket staff seemed to have been given a memo.

3. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a big part of the Crew's issues in a lot of different areas: no consistency. One game you get waived through with hardly a glance, the next you're untucking, spinning, shaking out your jacket, etc. I am fine either way but want it the same every game.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  4. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have not had issues, which is surprising since I would bet that I am on some list somewhere.

5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Crew and consistency are rarely used together no matter what the situation.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  6. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your Diaper bag looks like a backpack then they have problems with it and we did tonight. Because Backpacks are not allowed? And Yes it is a Diaper bag that is a backpack.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know you are the list.

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Backpacks are not allowed.
    http://www.thecrew.com/stadiumpolicies

9. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Belt checks are ridiculous.
    Why doesn't Precourt make his matches friendly to everyone and just get rid of the security altogether. They're just for show.

10. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Because terrorism.

11. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because flares

12. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    I thought those were out of fashion again?

13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can think of a couple. it may well be a league requirement. It may be a city/state requirement. And finally, remember the first TFC game here--or the one EPL team that came with fans looking for trouble.... At least we don't have to empty our pockets like at the Jackets. Not that I'm fond of the increased security. I don't have as much desire to go to games where the security is tight--like the NFL or, increasingly, college football. And I'm not sure it does much good.

14. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because of Chicagoians and Torontins.

I have a feeling security is one of those things mandated by the league.

15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    But aren't the TFC supporter groups boycotting Columbus after one of their members was tased a few years ago? I don't recall any security issues since then. Chicago sometimes brings good sized crowds depending on how their season is going. This year they're a slough of despair with the raccoons in charge. I remember the old days when CDP would have a judge on duty at the stadium to arraign offenders.

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ??? I don't remember them ever going *that* far, but they did have their large van with them on at least one occasion.

As far as the "lift your shirt" maneuver, I think we can blame/credit concealed-carry for that. Someone attempts to CCW any gun into a stadium and, well, that's for another forum. It's no longer just about someone trying to save a few bucks by taking in a bottle of a soft drink and a bag of chips.

17. TonyDanza

TonyDanza Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    This thread just had to be here when I randomly decided to check out Big Soccer. I've been considering bringing the little one out to a Crew game, and I think I may need to find a game soon... Nice talking to everyone, see you again in a few years.

Attached Files:

Hamburgler03 repped this.
  18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was entering the stadium for the LA match and security was giving someone grief over something similar to this:
    [​IMG]

Basically, it appeared like a backpack or something since it was folded up. The security guy had to call his supervisor over who cleared the item.

Say what you want, but at least we don't have TeamOps from New England. Our guys could probably be better educated on various items and policies, but they could also be a lot, lot worse.

19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Chicago used to have a rivalry with Dallas (Brimstone Cup) but we were the closest MLS opposition so they showed up in strength in 99 and 00. Their fans brought flares which are against stadium policy so CDP waded into the visiting fans sections to grab. I remember a late season match in October when it was raining and looking over to the aisle to see a Chicago Ultra and Columbus cop grappling as they rolled down the stairs. Anyway the next time Chicago came to town the team said they would have paddy wagons to take people down to Jackson Pike and a judge on site to sign warrants for blood tests.

20. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the LA game, my kids in wheelchairs weren't searched at all and neither was the large bag attached to their chairs. the bag had rain gear, water bottles and snacks.

We did go in the tent gate, so maybe that had something to do with it.

21. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eboe repped this.
  22. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So parents of toddlers - How are games with mobile kids? Markus is very active. We were thinking of taking him to a match this fall, but I am wondering how he will do now. We are going to Cedar Point this weekend, and we splurged on a toddler carrier (we have an infant one, but Tim says it now looks like we are trying to put 10 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound sack). CP will signal if he can handle a day in Columbus.

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you wear him out a bit by playing with a soccer ball on the small field north of the tent, before the game?

24. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    You will spend more time running after him etc than watching the game.

25. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We brought my 3.5 and 1 year old to the match this past week. The sun was really hot in the western side of the stands. I had a great time with my (very energetic and mobile) toddler discussing why the things in the match were happening and he seemed to enjoy it. During halftime he found the playground and didn't come back for the second half. My wife hung out with the kids and missed that half. I wish they could have swapped which half they watched as the second half was far more entertaining.

We had a similar experience when we took my son when he was 2 to see the Crew play in Vancouver. He really enjoyed the minutes he stayed and watched--but his attention waned and he ended up wandering the concourse.

tl;dr: Don't expect a mobile toddler to stay in the stands for 90 minutes.