Infantino: FIFA is currently testing the new offside rule in America and China

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by vevo5, Jun 16, 2021.

1. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only equations were that easy to grasp as an 18-year old! I was a good math student until 8th grade. That year, I fell behind most of the rest of my class in part, due to having a teacher who was getting on in years and having some difficulty in getting the basic concepts of algebraic equations across to me. My parents were also going through a divorce at the time, and it messed me up psychologically and to an extent, intellectually. Sometimes, I think it's a wonder I got out of junior high. 7th grade was great for me grade-wise. 8th grade wasn't disastrous, but it wasn't up to snuff by comparison.

2. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #77 vevo5, Sep 1, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    Radical FIFA proposal back in 1995:

(the tweak to the offside rule is not so radical in comparison)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...r-goals/4a30bfa7-bc97-4759-a611-dd4890583c3f/

February 18, 1996

"Last November, FIFA requested MLS to consider experimenting playing with larger goals," MLS Commissioner Doug Logan said. ". . . All sports involve some risk. I'm not going to tell you it's an issue that is risk-free. Our elders think the rewards in comparison to the risks . . . are sufficient enough for us to investigate it further and to take on those risks."

Under FIFA's proposal, the goal would expand in height by about nine inches and in width by about 17 inches. The current dimensions are eight feet high and 24 feet wide.

Sources said MLS's Management Committee voted, 6-3, to pursue the issue. League executives will attend FIFA meetings March 8 in Rio de Janeiro to discuss it further. If FIFA's board authorizes the change in goal size, MLS likely will implement it in time for the April 6 opener.

Kevin Payne, D.C. United's president and general manager and a member of the management committee, voted against the proposal. "I'm in favor of the concept of larger goals and the concept of finding ways to make the game exciting, but not in the first year," he said. "To me it's a question of us being in front of the rest of the world" and a fear of the young league losing international credibility.

Larger goals were tried in recent years by the United Systems of Independent Soccer Leagues -- a U.S. semipro circuit -- and produced almost an additional goal per game.

--------------------

The current goal size 8 x 24 = 192

FIFA proposal to MLS: 8.75 feet x 25.417 feet = 222.39

An increase of 15.8%

Example: The Seattle Sounders - Portland Timbers match a few days ago: 4-5 shots that hit the crossbar / goalposts. These would all gone in if the goal size increased by 16%

Increasing the goal size by almost 16% would increase goal scoring for sure (maybe 0.75 extra goal per game). Purists would hate it with a passion of the burning sun if FIFA increase the goal size. Though it would be a good thing for the beautiful game.

Anyhow,

FIFA/IFAB has been tweaking the offside rule in the past 150 years so it will be acceptable to most fans with the new change. It would be a step backward for the game if this new offside rule change is never implemented.

3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

JasonMa repped this.
  4. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Purists and traditionalists would hate it for obvious reasons. They don't want to see changes.

Even though it would make the beautiful game better.

For example, with bigger goal size, attacking teams are more likely to score. Teams are less likely to park the bus to protect 0-0 scoreline or to protect 1-0 lead.

At the very least, there would be a lot less 0-0 matches

https://www.windrawwin.com/statistics/how-often-do-games-end-0-0/#:~:text=Eight percent of all games,12 to 13 games played

Eight percent of all games end 0-0 - That's approximately one 0-0 result for every 12 to 13 games played.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/in-126-years-english-football-has-seen-13475-nil-nil-draws/

In 126 Years, English Football Has Seen 13,475 Nil-Nil Draws

The sport would be more popular is the common score line is 2-1, 2-2, 3-2, 3-3, 4-3 instead of 0-0, 1-0, 1-1.

SportsNight was all over this. (Klaxon5 comment on reddit)

5. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #80 vevo5, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/in-126-years-english-football-has-seen-13475-nil-nil-draws/

Take the most common final score, for example. In 188,060 league games,2 the final tally was most often 1-0, proof, for Curley, that soccer was as low-scoring as he suspected. This result has occurred in more than 30,000 games — 16 percent of the total. Other common scores: 2-1 (about 27,000 games), 2-0 (about 22,000) and 1-1 (about 22,000).

In 85,694 games — dangerously close to half the total — at least one of the teams forgot to score at all. That led Curley to an answer for one of his questions: “Soccer is a bit dull,” he told me.

Here is the distribution of home and away teams’ goal-scoring throughout history:

[​IMG]

If the inventor of the sport knew that 0-0, 1-0, 1-1 would be the most common scores, that inventor would most likely change the goal size from

8 ft by 24 ft to 9 ft by 27 ft

The sport would be more popular than it is now. And a lot less dull 0-0 matches.

Some MLS fans would disagree but if FIFA/IFAB requested MLS to consider experimenting playing with larger goals for 2022 season (for example 1 foot higher and 3 feet longer), it would do the league more good than harm.

Higher fan interest would mean higher tv ratings and ticket sales.

p.s. If FIFA/IFAB requested the Chinese Super League and the Indian Super League to consider experimenting playing with larger goals for 2022 season, would MLS fans also oppose?

Successful implementation in a few leagues will lead to world-wide rollout.

The fear is that the sport will stagnate if it does not evolve with the time.

6. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer is already the most popular sport in the world. It’s not going to be more popular because the goals are bigger.

SccrDon and JasonMa repped this.
  7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also: This is the News forum. This thread should be reserved for NEWS about this topic. All you’re doing is lobbying. Please take advantage of the thread you started in the Commissioner forum if you’re going to continue to do that.

JasonMa repped this.
  8. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #83 vevo5, Sep 2, 2021
    True. It is already the most popular sport in the world.

But the fear is that the sport will stagnate if it does not change with the time. Look at Nokia. It got overtaken because it didn't change with the time. Soccer will have more and more competition. More teens are into esports for example.

Basketball could overtake soccer as the most popular sports in China.

I disagree. Making the goals bigger will make the sport more popular because it will lead the common score lines being 2-1, 2-2, 3-2, 3-3, 4-3 rather than 0-0, 1-0, 1-1, 2-0.

It's common to hear that some sports fans not liking soccer because of its low scoring. Can't say I blame them if they have to sit through a dull 0-0 match.

edcrocker repped this.
  9. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #84 vevo5, Sep 2, 2021
    Noted. I won't mention the goal size again or lobbying MLS to increase the goal size if FIFA allow it.

I will stick to the topic of FIFA new offside rule.

Sign out of Bigsoccer.

10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bigger goals make sense as the average height of professional goalkeepers has grown over the years. However, the cost of replacing millions of goalposts in publicly owned parks, schools and other recreation areas would be ginormous.

superdave and SccrDon repped this.
  11. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    A cheaper solution would be to stop feeding today's kids nutritious food so that they don't grow to be so tall.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would note that soccer ATTAINED popularity when GPG was noticeably higher than today. I honestly think the sport would be better if GPG went up about 1, so long as it’s done the right way.

Im actually a fan of reproportioning the goals along the lines of how much bigger the average male is now vs in 1860 England.

footballfantatic and edcrocker repped this.
  13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 8 foot high crossbar was introduced in 1882. Before that there had been tape at an undetermined height.

14. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played a makeup game in a rec league with tape as a "crossbar".

They assured us there would be a soccer goal, not just football goalposts. They were wrong.

15. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #90 vevo5, Sep 8, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    Lot of good discussion here on USsoccer

FIFA is trialing a new offside rule that favors attacking football
    https://reddit.com/r/ussoccer/comments/pkdggn/fifa_is_trialing_a_new_offside_rule_that_favors/

and of course the mandatory survey
    https://strawpoll.com/s69yeyjy6
    Will it be easier for attackers to score goals with the new offside rule that FIFA is trialing?

p.s.

Football journalists should ask some professional coaches about their view on this, not just ex-players. Here's what ex-players thought:

Simon Colling (football journalist for Evening Standard) wrote this: This would have to be trialled at some stage, but Collina also explaining how ex players have been asked about it.

Shock - attackers like the idea, but defenders and goalkeepers not so much.

So any American sports journalists want to give it a go? Write an article about this and ask some MLS coaches and players their view? It would make a good WashingtonPost soccer article and kick the ball rolling to a potential MLS using this for 2022 season.

16. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    La Liga has gotten very defensive.

20 out of the first 30 matches this season has this scorelines 0-0, 1-0, 1-1,

Week 1:

Valencia - Getafe 1:0

Mallorca - Real Betis 1:1

Cadiz - Levante 1:1

Osasuna - Espanyol 0:0

Villarreal - Granada 0:0

Elche - Athletic Club 0 : 0

Week 2:

Real Betis - Cadiz 1:1

Granada - Valencia 1:1

Athletic Club: Barcelona 1:1

Alaves: Mallorca 0:1

Espanyol: Villarreal 0:0

Real Sociedad: Rayo Vallecano 1:0

Atletico Madrid: Elche 1:0

Getafe: Sevilla 0:1

Osasuna : Celta Vigo 0:0

Week 3

Mallorca: Espanol 1:0

Celta Vigo : Athletic Club 0:1

Elche : Sevilla 1:1

Real Sociedad 1:0

Real Betis: Real Madrid 0: 1

Avid football fans would be okay with such low scoring (noted above) in La Liga. But what about casual fans and none-fans?

The casual fan might get into the sport if they see more goals per game. And it might bring in non-fans too, seeing 3-2 games, as opposed to 1-0 games.

Avid football fans would be okay with 0-0 draws but 3-2 would be way more enjoyable for everyone else.

www.fifa.com/who-we-are/news/wenger-we-want-to-make-the-game-more-spectacular

Arsene Wenger (FIFA Chief of Global Football Development) said: "We want to help make the game more spectacular, quicker and more enjoyable to watch, and to play as well. It is the most popular sport in the world at the moment... but to stand still would be bad."

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's obviously an alien code written in binary.

superdave and footballfantatic repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is this MLS News and Analysis at this point? Its not being used in MLS, its really not being used anywhere in the U.S. despite the claims, and we're not even talking about MLS in the discussion. La Liga? Who cares.

19. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that this seems to be the personal mission of the poster to make this happen, but until their is actual news on the subject relating to MLS or even any league within the US and/or Canada, updating this thread with the scores of La Liga seems to be pointless. At this point it's been about 6 months since the last Wenger news/idea came out and every article seems to relate to the one original story. There was nothing mentioned by IFAB recently. I'm not a mod in this forum, but this thread has run it's course until there is actual news IMO.

JasonMa repped this.
  20. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.