Infantino: FIFA is currently testing the new offside rule in America and China

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by vevo5, Jun 16, 2021.

1. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the 2021 FIFA Congress

at the 1hr 15 minutes of the video, FIFA president Infantino said:

The current rule says that "if any part of your body with which you can score a goal is over the line of the second last defender then it is offside."

We are testing the opposite rule so to saying "if any part of your body with which you can score a goal is in line with the second last defender then it is not offside."

In the Premier League last year, there were 4 offside situations per game, with this new rule, two of these 4 situations would be onside and maybe a few more goals.

We need to see what kind of impact this new rule have on the game and that is why we are testing it currently in America and in China. Professor Arsene Wenger is supervising this work.

---------------

In the France - Germany game today, France might have 2 more onside goals (that were offside with the current rule)

88 minute:

https://imgur.com/a/cqqBqcX

Mbappe great goal disallowed for offside 66’ (this would be a very close call under the new offside rule)

https://imgur.com/a/mok3sZI

-------------

MLS clubs also have some friendlies right? Maybe friendlies could be ideal testing ground.

Maybe even CONCACAF Champions League.

Or US Open Cup.

edcrocker repped this.
  2. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds simpler to explain and easier to measure a "tie goes to the runner" rule with VAR. If the goal of the rule change is to increase scoring a potential downside would be defenses playing deeper. I'm interested in subtle changes (to an average viewer, this would obviously affect tactics etc at all levels of the game) like this improving the game. Enforcing persistent infringement would be my preferred subtle change to improve asthetics. Removing ambiguities with handball, etc would also be on the shortlist.

Kejsare and footballfantatic repped this.
  3. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect that it would be much more challenging for the lines(wo)man to make the accurate call, or at least a very difficult adjustment for veteran referees.

4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    So it is already being tested in "America"? Where, what leagues or federations?

If so, then why are you suggesting that it be used for friendlies or other tournaments?

JasonMa repped this.
  5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I can tell from MLS officials, we have been testing the rule for many years. I like the new rule and don't expect that it will impact much how teams defend.

cthomer5000 and Bilgediver repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve seen this posted twice here today. I get what you’re thinking, but it’s literally impossible for a more lenient offside rule leads to fewer goals. Look back at that year in the 20s, maybe 1927, where they changed it from third to last defender to second to last. Scoring exploded.

Now, it might make the game more static and less interesting. But it can’t, it won’t, lower the number of goals.

7. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah my wording was poor. I'm not worried about the rule reducing scoring, but if games are more static and less interesting that would be counterproductive. (Assuming that the reason we want scoring to increase is to make games more exciting).

8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if we just trained our forwards better.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  9. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In the 3rd minute, this wonderful goal would be onside with the new offside rule

[​IMG]

The attacker might be onside even if he is 1.5 feet further ahead. As long as any part of his body that can play the ball is "in line" with the second to last defender.

edcrocker repped this.
  10. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 vevo5, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    That's what FIFA president said in the video.

His exact word "We need to see what kind of impact this new rule have on the game and that is why we are testing it currently in America and in China. Professor Arsene Wenger is supervising this work."

As for where, when, and which teams etc...FIFA didn't say.

As for my suggestions for friendlies and other tournaments, it is because I feel it is doable and watchable.

All fans can watch and see the trial in action. Friendlies would be broadcast so would tournaments like CONCACAF Champions League and US Open Cup.

Even NCAA College Soccer would be ideal testing ground also.

More matches that use the new offside on a trial basis = more data / results for FIFA to judge if it is an improvement for the game.

edcrocker repped this.
  11. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The rule change in 1925. It took 31 years before it was approved. Led to a lot more goals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offside_(association_football)

It also led to an increase in goalscoring: 4,700 goals were scored in 1,848 Football League games in 1924–25. This number rose to 6,373 goals (from the same number of games) in 1925–26.[20]

1924-25: 2.54 goals per match

1925-26: 3.45 goals per match (after the rule change from 3 defenders to 2 defenders)

Two-player rule (1925)

The Scottish FA urged the change from a three-player to a two-player offside rule as early as 1893.[74] Such a change was first proposed at a meeting of IFAB in 1894, where it was rejected.[75] It was proposed again by the SFA in 1902, upon the urging of Celtic FC, and again rejected.[76][77][78] A further proposal from the SFA also failed in 1913, after the Football Association objected.[79][80][81] The SFA advanced the same proposal in 1914, when it was again rejected after opposition from both the Football Association and the Welsh Football Association.[82][83][84][85][86]

Meetings of the International Board were suspended after 1914 because of the First World War. After they resumed in 1920, the SFA once again proposed the two-player rule in 1922, 1923, and 1924. In 1922 and 1923, the Scottish Association withdrew its proposal after English FA opposed it.[87][88] In 1924, the Scottish proposal was once again opposed by the English FA, and defeated;[89] it was, however, indicated that a version of the proposal would be adopted the next year.[90]

Imagine how defensive soccer would be if such an offside rule still exist today.
    Goal might be down to 1.5 per game.

edcrocker repped this.
  12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t get it.

13. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this new offside definition. It is clear, but it could be difficult for refs to see daylight (but I guess that’s why we have VAR now). I don’t think defenses will sit much deeper with this change. Here’s hoping for more scoring opportunities and more accurate offsides calls.

edcrocker repped this.
  14. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I predict we will see an evolution of the central defender gravitate towards a quicker player who will have some closing speed to chase down attackers who slip past them.

Bilgediver and footballfantatic repped this.
  15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More accurate off sides calls and perhaps a return to allowing the assistant referees to be able to do their job on their own, in real time. Not holding the flag down until the player that was judged offsides at the start of the play to then raise the flag as the play went further downfield.

Timing the run.
    Teaching young players how to stay onside better when making their runs. This concept is the ground floor to any new application to the Laws of the Game regarding offsides. Well, for players on attack. You're saying this went over your head?

16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of us remember the days when any player in an offside position would be penalized whether or not they were interfering with play. This led to Arsenal's defense getting about 30 offsides per game.

RafaLarios repped this.
  17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without any context, yeah. Thanks for the explanation.

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understood.

19. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what the confusion is about. The Offside Rule was very clearly explained in the film Bend it Like Beckham: if any portion of the attacking player is past the Wocestershire sauce, it's offside.

ElNaranja and RafaLarios repped this.
  20. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://theconversation.com/euro-20...-debates-that-have-raged-to-abolish-it-163117

Van Basten’s critics counter that this would lead to chaos and the chronic goal hanging that spooked the original lawmakers of the 19th century. Van Basten shares the view of others in pointing to field hockey, which dispensed with its offside law in its entirety in 1998. Far from ruining the game, it is widely held that it has invigorated it by rewarding attacking play and making the game more exciting and free-flowing.

Trials have taken place in football without offside with mixed results. The experimental game led to a very high score (9-7) but a match that was not dramatically different in how it was played tactically overall. Van Basten believes the game could eventually adapt and improve as hockey has.

Less radically, former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has proposed another amendment where if any part of an attacking player’s body with which they can legally score is onside when the ball is played, then they are not offside.'

----------------------------
    No offside at all is too RADICAL and will never be adopted by FIFA/IFAB. Wenger new offside rule is much more realistic. If MLS wants, it could use this new rule next year.

footballfantatic repped this.
  22. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/i...fifa-offside-rule-currently-in-trial.2116747/
    Invalid goals that would be valid under new FIFA offside rule currently in trial

From the first 30 matches of Euro 2020 (the other 21 matches I have not got the time to look through the ESPN highlights)

France- Germany
    https://imgur.com/a/cqqBqcX

Finland - Russia
    https://imgur.com/a/6RLGJU0

Finland-Belgium
    https://imgur.com/a/eO0qrh7

Wales vs Switzerland - June 12
    https://imgur.com/a/VbEkn9T

Portugal vs Germany
    https://imgur.com/a/9VX9kz5

North Macedonia vs Netherlands
    https://imgur.com/92jXqxY

Ukraine vs North Macedonia ---very very close call ---need line to see
    https://imgur.com/BbjrWuU

France vs Germany - Mbappe great goal but offside
    -could be valid under the new offside rule---very very close call (need a line to see how close)
    https://i.imgur.com/rpKbYlC.jpg

From the 30 matches so far, 8 invalid goals that would be valid goals counting the 2 very close calls.

8 extra valid goals / 30 matches = 0.267 extra valid goals per match

Not counting the 2 very very close calls, it would be 6 extra goals / 30 matches = 0.2 extra goals per match

There will be more instances from the remaining 21 matches. Maybe 4-5 invalid goals that could be valid goals.

STAY TUNE!!!! I will watch the ESPN highlights in the very near future and screenshot any invalid goals that would be valid under the new FIFA offside rule

edcrocker repped this.
  23. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #23 Bilgediver, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    I like it in that it encourages "fighting it out" instead of having goals nullified only by technicality.

Even if the player receives the ball the defenders and goalkeepers still have to defend, without drastically changing how anyone really plays.

I agree you're going to see an emphasis on more athletic defenders, or fullbacks to cover.

edcrocker repped this.
  24. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 vevo5, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    Premier League to use thicker lines to end the offside controversies.

The Premier League won't confirm the exact margin of error, but I'm told the TV line gives 5cm to the attacker for that "benefit of the doubt".

It might not seem like much, but it would have saved 19 goal situations last season. Again, I can't get a confirmed list of the 19.

-----------------------------------

19 goals for being within 5cm offside/onside.

Imagine how many invalid goals (from current offside rule) would become valid goals (under new FIFA offside rule) with the margin being a lot wider. A player could be 2 feet ahead of the defender and still onside as long as the trailing leg is in line with the defender.

FIFA would love to have a league like MLS to implement this for 2022. It's a win-win for FIFA and MLS.

All that it would take for it to happen is that MLS make a phone call to FIFA (FIFA would agree to it in a heartbeat) and the majority of MLS owners to vote in favor to implement this. There is no worry about this offside rule affecting USMNT World Cup qualification since qualification would be over by March 2022.

MLS is among the earliest adopters of VAR. It can be among the earliest adopters of this new FIFA offside rule. MLS gets 1 extra valid goal every 4 games. Fans would love to see more goals.

edcrocker repped this.
  25. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    As far as i can tell MANY experimental rules are being tested in MLS, sometimes changing week to week.

QuakeAttack repped this.