Indy USL News

Discussion in 'Indy Eleven' started by EPJr, Mar 21, 2018.

1. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jeffcoop repped this.
  2. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before their first match at Lucas Oil, @IndyEleven's president said the move would show MLS what soccer fans here are all about.
    [​IMG]
    Well, Indy delivered.

jeffcoop repped this.
  3. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are bigger tests ahead--in particular, all those Wednesday night games. But the fanbase certainly put on an impressive show Saturday night.

4. GenWRX

GenWRX Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I agree. Indy delivered on one night, opening night, against a team that had 2 hours to travel and brought ~1500 of their own fans. The Eleven have three home games in August, all on Wednesday. To me, that will be the true test.

jeffcoop repped this.
  5. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
  6. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't had a chance to read it yet--I'm having an unusually busy week at work, and the time I do have to think about soccer has largely been devoted to Liverpool's CL quarterfinal. But I'm definitely concerned.

7. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jeffcoop repped this.
  8. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    twitter's @nipunchopra7 was on SXM this afternoon to talk indy 11. i only caught about 15 minutes, but he said a lot of the indy monthly article was old news and the tone was maybe too brazen about ersal folding the team. he talked about moving from carroll (the lease was up) and the benefits of LOS. i didn't get to listen to the discussion of the drawbacks. the takeaway i got was that d2 teams lose $2-3M per year, and that's only sustainable if there's a real path to MLS. ersal's already sunk $20M plus so it's a question of how much more he's willing to blow waiting on big money to come in to get to MLS, assuming that's still an option.

9. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the report. I wish I'd been able to hear it.

It doesn't surprise me to hear suggestions that minor league soccer ownership is not a viable proposition long-term unless one is willing to lose a lot of money. After two straight winters of wondering if the team was going to play the next season, I've become somewhat philosophical about it.

10. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jeffcoop repped this.
  11. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    this was an interesting read... https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/30/...latest&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront

i wonder whether ersal has considered a crowd-funding approach for indy 11. perhaps he could sell shares of the club in an attempt to capitalize it with an annual fee that would go toward the budget. of course, he'd have to give those people votes to elect directors, but it would be "an investment in fun" as the the lyngby guy called it.