Indy NASL News

Discussion in 'Indy Eleven' started by NSmith22, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    Indy Eleven should be on USL next season...

2. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #452 JDogindy, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Hate to break it, but I showed up & nobody was there besides the store staff.

The email clearly mentioned this, and yet it was a bait & switch.

3. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shame on them.

4. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would make sense in the abstract. But the devil is in the details.
    1. There's an exit fee to leave NASL (although if NASL isn't sanctioned I have to imagine that fee would disappear).
    2. There's an entrance fee for USL, and it's not a trivial amount. Nowhere near MLS expansion fees, but seven digits.
    3. I've seen reports recently that NASL has rights to NASL clubs' intellectual property, which means that if Indy moves to USL and wants to continue being Indy Eleven and using the crest, it would have to pay NASL.
    4. Of course, USL would have to want Indy, and while there certainly are reasons why they would (strong fan base, great potential for regional rivalries), I have a sense (based on reports that may or may not be well-sourced) that there's some tension between the Indy front office and USL.
    So it could happen, sure. And, given USL's relative strength and stability, and newfound D2 status, it would make sense for Indy in plenty of ways. But it's no sure thing.

5. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    The same way Tampa Bay Rowdies and other teams moved to USL,

6. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I'm not saying it's impossible, just that there are obstacles. Joining USL would seem to require Ozdemir to spend what is for him a significant sum of money, at a time when he has been reluctant to invest additional funds in the club.

7. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
  8. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JDogindy repped this.
  9. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    when i saw LOS in the article, my first thought was that maybe irsay is buying in for a run at MLS.

BTL97 repped this.
  10. thekorean

thekorean Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Oh my goodness, USL team playing in an NFL stadium?

I am morbidly curious how that will end up looking. The lease has to be a good one for Elevens.

11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It is now official.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/874263?referrer_id=2333971

BTL97, jeffcoop and Paulo_PT repped this.
  12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @dark knight
    apparently it might be time for the mods to make the switch from NASL to USL...or we can wait until the season starts...your call!

13. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright boys, can't lie, I've been a shitty fan the past two seasons. BUT this new league gives me new hope.

The prospect of local derbies with Cincy and Louisville actually seems really fun, and a more stable league with a more direct path to MLS is a breath of fresh air. Just knowing that we are able to make the jump across leagues without folding, or rebranding makes me feel really refreshed about our club. I wonder how much of the club will be gutted in going through the motions of transferring the club to USL-ready, and meeting all their expectations.

Something that really perks my gaze is the prospect of playing in Lucas Oil Stadium. If the XI could get a decent enough hype built up for the new season and playing at LOS, and somehow string together more than the regular of 10k at Michael Carroll, then it wouldn't be that bad. I don't know what the capacity for the lowest level of LOS, but if we could fill that up, that wouldn't look terrible. Also, playing at LOS seems to be a temporary move, otherwise I'm guessing we'd be staying at Carroll. I dunno, maybe we're stringing together a stadium deal or a reconstruction of Carroll, who knows, it's just going be interesting to see how the stadium business goes from here on out.

Regardless I'm actually really excited for the future of the XI. And I'm gonna try and pay attention and be a better fan from now on.

14. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on the move. The stable league to attract more capital and potential local rivalries is a nice boost for your club. Working bathrooms is a bonus! ;)

Hopefully, the Cosmos will still be around to play Indy in Lucas Oil Stadium during an Open Cup Match.

BTL97, jeffcoop and 2in10 repped this.
  15. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we have a mod? I'd hate to see this thread die, as it goes back to the very beginning of the club, but the title (which predates the naming of the club) is no longer accurate.

BTL97 repped this.
  16. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    neither is the the forum being listed under nasl. at least we have a forum though, right?

paging @SoccerPrime. a little help here?

17. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indy apparently has let Eamon Zayed go. This seems like a time the roster should be getting bigger, not smaller.

I'll always be thankful to Zayed for his significant contributions to the teams' success in 2016.

18. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw some Cincy fan talking him up on twitter and he kinda hinted at being open to it. I know we released him, and potentially deserve it, but I'd hate to see him go to a rival instantly.

jeffcoop repped this.
  20. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    his resume is impressive. he's been successful at every level in the us so far, but he's never stayed anywhere long.

jeffcoop repped this.
  21. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same could be said of Hankinson. I'll be okay with Rennie not staying long if he can bring us some hardware while he's here.

22. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That article makes me a bit nervous. I'm not surprised that the club isn't hiring a new technical director--it's in line with the cost-cutting that the team has undergone since 2016. But Rennie hasn't coached in this country since 2011, and his most recent job was in South Korea, which hardly seems a likely hotbed of talent for a USL club. With training set to begin on February 7, Rennie has less than three weeks to put together a roster, and he seems unlikely to have much familiarity with the relevant talent base.

23. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    how much back-room staff carries over from hankinson? it mentions trevor james being a holdover and helping with the TD duties. maybe that who they'll be relying on?

jeffcoop repped this.
  24. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I've lived with three awful Indy Eleven seasons out of four total... I'm okay with another one in USL.

But I do expect the talent should be a focus from here on out because we are in a more stable league, which means we must emphasize winning instead of surviving.

BTL97 and jeffcoop repped this.