News: Indoor Professional League ( IPL )

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by cardshopmd, Mar 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I heard if they can get the New York Knicks to join, the LA Lakers and Denver Broncos will want to join, too.

2. WPSL

WPSL Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Club:
    Cleveland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That will only happen if the Manchester United joins.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  3. Anubis

Anubis Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #253 Anubis, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    Any further word on teams or upcoming announcements? We are quickly approaching July, which seemed to be people's unofficial "time to get worried" deadline from earlier in the thread.

If they really did have people try and form teams in late July/August do you think they'd adjust the schedule to maybe Jan-May? Or does that start conflicting with some arena dates I'm not thinking of?

SteveCo repped this.
  4. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Here's the latest from the IPL. {chirp-chirp...............chirp-chirp.............chirp-chirp}

Seriously, I really didn't care if Hale wanted to start his own league. If it became the standard-bearer for all other leagues, the owners make money and the fans are happy, great, more power to him. Unfortunately, it appears to be the same old, same old with Ed promising more than he can produce.

If the Blast end up in a 4-6 team league, I'll be watching most of my matches via the Tacoma Stars.

Prosoccercdn, Anubis, SteveCo and 2 others repped this.
  5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Protip: Any time there is, someone posts it here.

No one waits for someone to ask before they do.

SteveCo repped this.
  6. SoccerMan25

SoccerMan25 Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Be very careful before making these kinds of dismissive comments. For all we know, the IPL could announce the names of the other member clubs soon. Buffalo, Atlanta, Syracuse, Jacksonville etc. NOT saying that the mentioned cities are in, just that it could happen. Trust me, this WILL NOT be a 4 to 6 team league. You never know if TV is part of what's going on behind the scenes. I don't know, CBSSN, NBCSN, FS1, or FS2 may come calling. I said the above to say this, no one but Mr. Hale and those putting this dream league together knows for sure what's going on. But I will say, if I was a betting man, I would put my money on Ed Hale. Just a hunch.

7. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Wow, even SoccerMan, the king of delusional hyperbole, is hedging his bets now.

cardshopmd, Bluesfan and the shelts repped this.
  8. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    I can make any dismissive comments I want. If the IPL announces expansion teams with only four months until the start of the season, they are in worse shape than I had originally believed.

the shelts and SteveCo repped this.
  9. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Most likely to say, "Please stop calling us."

10. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Or, your rink dink league is going to need to cut us a much bigger check to get ahead of the Arena Football League.

SteveCo and Beau Dure repped this.
  11. IL Kicks

IL Kicks Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, there are more questions about the IPL than answers. Of course, there might be clubs joining from every corner of the country, and many TV contracts to back up the sport, but as of now there is none of that. We just have four clubs owned by 2/3 people. The IPL is nothing more than a website and alot of promises.

My question is what will happen to the IPL clubs if they don't launch in November? Because if the IPL doesn't start moving forward and filling in the blanks soon then this will be a "dream league" of Mr Hale.

SteveCo repped this.
  12. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From my understanding they are waiting on arena leases before anyone is announced.

SteveCo repped this.
  13. Nick79

Nick79 Member

May 4, 2015
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Facebook page there are posters claiming that at least 4 more are guaranteed to join and announcements are coming soon.

14. CFL-fan

CFL-fan Member

May 1, 2006
    Maryland
    "I believe, I believe, its silly but I believe"
    (Natalie Wood in Miracle on 34th Street)

SteveCo repped this.
  15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never in a million years would I trust you.

Your track record sucks, quite frankly.

Hale's going to need more teams, so it's very likely there will be more coming on board, but:

( a ) Today is June 29. The end of September, when a schedule is supposed to be announced, is just over 90 days away.
    ( b ) Any team starting today that isn't poached from the MASL is going to be way behind the eight ball.

Also, here is a lovely little story from the Lakeland paper about one of the two or three or four league owners:

http://www.theledger.com/article/20160624/NEWS/160629685/0/search

SteveCo repped this.
  16. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Info will come soon , They are working with owners who can keep a team going for longer than 1 season and properly vetting them before handing them a franchise.

17. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Nothing is guaranteed. The commissioner himself only said they are TALKING to 2-4 more teams.

18. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    [cough] Pennsylvania [cough, choke, cough] Roar.

kenntomasch, SteveCo and GoStorm repped this.
  19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flying in the face of 38 years of indoor soccer history.

The thing is, there has been, especially in recent years, this tension between proper vetting and needing to have a minimum number of teams. The IPL is up against it, time-wise, regardless of their intentions.

But I would feel very confident in saying that at least one of the teams either currently in existence or soon to be announced will not exist 16 months from now. Because of that tension and history.

I do not believe for a second that they will only give franchises to sustainable owners.

Anubis and SteveCo repped this.
  20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, the commissioner IS batshit crazy.

MLSinCleveland and Joey Tee repped this.
  21. Venerable

Venerable Member

Jun 26, 2016
    What about hiring refs? Does anyone know if the IPL has poached any MASL refs?

And on the MASL league meetings, who is going to be the president (don't say Trump or Clinton) and will this be the same as comissioner?

22. Anubis

Anubis Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Which is why the guy claiming to be involved with 30+ teams in the last 15 years is a founding member! Of course! He has that stable track record they've been looking for. :whistling:

SteveCo repped this.
  23. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Refs are independent contractors and free to work for any league that will hire them. The current plan is for Ryan Cigich to be director of officials for both leagues, and refs will be allowed to work in both

EnricoSharke, kenntomasch and SteveCo repped this.
  24. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Thing is you don't need teams that can last 2 years. You need teams that you can count on to be there for 5 years, 10 years, or more. and of all the indoor teams currently in existence, there are precisely TWO that were around in 2006 that are still around today- the Blast and the Wave. Thats it. right now, the IPL is Baltimore and the 3 Dwarves, in order for the league not to be another short lived league like the XSL, we need announcement of several other teams, and NOW, not at the last minute (see several Chicago teams, PA Roar , etc). If the league starts with only 4 I doubt the league will even have playoffs, as there would be no point. I'm very pessimistic of the IPL and its future , we've had several indoor leagues operating at the same time before, and that didnt benefit anybody who is a fan of indoor soccer and wants to see it be stable.

SteveCo repped this.
  25. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well here is what is going on, The MASL & IPL Lawyers are talking, it is still possible for everyone to stay together. The IPL has 2 more teams working on arena leases. I do not know who those teams are yet. Everything seems to change by the hour.

SteveCo repped this.