News: Indoor Professional League ( IPL )

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by cardshopmd, Mar 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, the only people that like MPS (and think it defines indoor soccer) are certain team owners.

2. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I like it OK.

wlamar3 repped this.
  3. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Gotta agree with that

SteveCo repped this.
  4. waynecorp

waynecorp Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Club:
    BYU Cougars
    #229 waynecorp, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
    I guess 4 teams at its inception is a good start, probably means 8 teams by fall. Hell it can't be easy to start a league and get new teams. Some leagues formed and kept making promises year after year but were never able to even play a single game. So if they can get to 8 teams I guess u have to (if your being honest and open minded) call it a huge success and I am ok with that!

5. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Waynecorp. Agreed. It's not easy to start a league. Which makes it impressive that Hale has started or participated in MISL2, NISL, MISL3, MASL and IPL in the last 14 years. I'm unaware if he was involved in the NASL or AISA or not.

But the fact that it's hard doesn't mean you talk about AHL owners and buildings and grand proclamations of 8 teams.

He above all should know how hard it is.

SteveCo repped this.
  6. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Actually hang on a minute......

Did Ed Hale specifically talk about AHL owners or was this AHL talk all based off of Cardshopmd's posts?

I'm losing track

7. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was Hale during the infamous interview at halftime of the Blast-Comets game in Missouri.

SteveCo repped this.
  8. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    He has been saying it for at least two years.

9. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Hale should put a team in the AHL instead of trying to get AHL owners to put teams in the IPL.

10. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Bring back the Skipjacks (or Bandits or Clippers)!

11. kiddx33

kiddx33 Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing how AHL in Baltimore never averages more than 3,800 fans, with exception of a half a season with the Bandits, I doubt that'll make much sense.

Now I know everyone has their panties in a bunch with Hale, but the Blast could play a bunch of Washington Generals every year and still lead the country in attendance. If he wants to just have a league to get his way, he can. If it doesn't work, he'll still make money on a hobby. Welcome to the reality of indoor soccer in 2016.

12. Dave K

Dave K Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Gloucester, NJ
    Absolutely not. Blast already have issues trying to get dates in the 2nd half of the season with all the concerts, circus and other events in there. Thursday/Sunday games (and having to play in the afternoon on Saturdays) would kill attendance. Already lost 3 minor league hockey teams. Do not put another one in the Arena

13. dcunitedTV

dcunitedTV Member

Sep 30, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hale did say something about the AHL on Kick THIS some time ago but Im not sure he said AHL owners or AHL Cities as a suggestion?

14. NY Gunner

NY Gunner New Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the 4 teams announced, what else are we looking at? Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo and 2 unnamed Florida locations? Seems like the Ambush will be an outlier in the central time zone.

15. agh34

agh34 New Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Soccer families are the base for our team in St. Louis, the support from the local soccer community has been very helpful. To be successful a team can't rely on that alone, but it is a good base to start from.

cardshopmd and SteveCo repped this.
  16. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I talked to an IPL source who is sure more teams are going to join the IPL and be announced soon. All we can do is wait and see if the action occurs to back up the 'new teams from AHL cities' rumors & other 'reports' of teams joining. I won't believe anything until it actually happens.

I hope that history will not repeat itself (XSL/NISL fiasco comes to mind, WISL, MISL3, and so on). The sport is more cursed than the Cubs. Except the ineptitude has mostly been self inflicted. I have legitimate hope that the IPL is going to work out but I am not counting the unhatched chickens either.

the shelts repped this.
  17. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next teams I am hearing to jump ship are , Chicago , Syracuse , Cedar Rapids.. If this is True then It forces Milwaukee and Missouri into a position that if they stay in the MASL as we all suspect they will . This will only increase their travel cost. How long can they afford to fly to every game ?

I still believe Wichita is a long shot for this year for the IPL or the MASL

SteveCo repped this.
  18. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ED Hale has been talking about AHL owners , I believe the partnership would be more of Use of arens and to negotiate a much better deal on rent and arena dates. I honestly think we need to work with Indoor Lacrosse and Indoor Football teams they have the same systems in place already for indoor soccer .

SteveCo repped this.
  19. Nick79

Nick79 Member

May 4, 2015
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    That's really a good model. Find cities where soccer is popular and there are lots of youth leagues, then reach out to all the local clubs and build relationships with them, have promotions, honor them on the field, hold soccer camps in the summer. That's what the Blast does. Instead of being just a pro team, be a functioning soccer club and maybe even go as far as having a youth league of your own, or a youth travel team etc. I don't think the Blast has their own league, but they do hold multiple youth soccer camps. Honestly, you could make profit off of having a youth program, in addition to ticket and merchandise sales.

SteveCo repped this.
  20. WPSL

WPSL Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Club:
    Cleveland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine that the Dallas Sidekicks would also join the IPL if that comes true.

21. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    The Blast do hold tournaments during the season prior to games. The concept is simple, yet it takes hard work and dedication. You HAVE to be in the community! People (especially kids who play or like soccer) need to know who these guys are locally so they have a connection and want to come out. Florida seems to have done a really good job so far of doing this.

SteveCo repped this.
  22. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First it needs to come true

23. waynecorp

waynecorp Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Club:
    BYU Cougars
    If Chicago jumps ship that will be rough for MKE, they have quickly become real rivals. Close to travel and crowds have been drawn to those games. Maybe Chicago becomes key to getting a few midwest teams or ALL? I think a league with the 7 teams from the last version of the MISL and Florida , Chicago creates a real chance for excitement and expansion. Not sure since Rapids are a new club if they can contractually leave the MASL.

24. balthrop

balthrop Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Plano, Texas
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sidekicks will not be playing in the IPL unless there is not another choice but to do so.

25. waynecorp

waynecorp Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Club:
    BYU Cougars
    I think the sidekicks as they currently exist should and will say in the MASL regardless of what the Midwest teams do. Unless something changes next year and the can draw more than 1500 in paid fans they will be playing in a smaller rec center or be sold.

cardshopmd repped this.