Indoor facilities?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by CornfieldSoccer, Oct 19, 2020.

1. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Anyone aware of any indoor facilities either figuring out alternatives that work to keep operating (particularly Illinois, where I am) or, on the other side of the coin, places that have shut down because they're unable to do business? Our local indoor facility just started a GoFundMe -- I'm hoping they can hang in there, but that doesn't make me optimistic.

2. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I'm a little surprised, we got an email last week from one of our indoor locations (where we played last year) to sign up for Winter 1, that starts Nov 6.

3. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I was going to add... they've been open for training for a while w/temperature checks, players only entering, hand washing before & after training, staff w/masks & gloves.

I am really interested in seeing how they handle games. It wouldn't surprise me if (especially for U10+), players only in the facility.

4. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    The Mac in Crystal Lake has Winter Session Registration Open. My guess - no food or drink, masks on for coaches, spectators and workers 100%. One family member per player and enought times between games to get in and out without mingling. Follow the rules or your kid gets the boot. Easy enough IMO.

I still think registration may be low. People are not willing to risk anything and in many cases, some of these cases failed to answer the phone when paying customers called about a refund for Session 2/3.

We'll see.

5. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    It's a mix here:
    Some facilities are letting people rent out a field and organize their own games.
    One facility I called said they are completely shut down.
    Another one has adult leagues and are starting back up youth leagues next month.

6. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Not sure what BigSoccer's policy is on this, so apologies if it needs to come down, but here's that GoFundMe (my only connection to the facility is having played there, watched my youngest there and knowing one of the owners a bit): https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-soccer-planet

7. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I really feel for indoor soccer companies. There's one here that is fairly new, spent $3 million on state of the art facilities. Talk about unfortunate timing.
    If they can survive past this winter I'm sure the next one will be close to back to normal.

8. ShepR

ShepR New Member

Manchester United
    France
    May 18, 2018
    I just heard they have mandates that are making it harder for indoor facilities. There needs to be 30 minute breaks between games and if I understood them they need to clean between games but not clear on what that entails.
    IWSL may also decide not to insure indoor league play.

9. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    They did that for our outdoor facilities for HS Soccer. When you have two games w/four different teams, you're supposed to empty the bleachers, spray where the fans sat, let it sit, then let the new fans in.

We did that for a tournament we hosted (and had separated sections for the fans), and I noticed the hosts doing that for the regional semi-finals.

VolklP19 repped this.
  10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No update on their web site, but I drove by our local indoor place this week, and it's hosting an "estate sale" which sure looked like a going-out-of-business situation.

11. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Looks like Indoor for Illinois is a no go for this Winter. Gotta think some of these places may go out of business.

12. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Based on yesterday's news re new restrictions on IHSA and winter sports? I haven't read them closely enough to know if they directly affect non-school sports but the local indoor place linked above sent out an email last night with its plans for winter leagues, lessons, ... Also seeing a couple of other indoor multisport facilities downstate that are definitely operating.
    I'll be curious to see if they all go ahead.

13. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I read it as an extension of what we have now. I am not sure how that impacts HS sports - I mean I am sure it does but I am not sure what HS does to adjust.

14. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Should I put my kid on an indoor team? Sign up is over the next week.
    His mom thinks it's a bit risky (well she said that another mom said that).
    I am fine with him playing. But I'm also not trying to be a maverick. I want to be cognizant of what others are doing. Maybe I should ask the soccer place if they are taking extra precautions? (like HEPA filters)

15. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I would ask what precautions are the place taking? Limiting spectators? Extra cleaning? No snack bar?

I do think indoor activities are riskier than outdoor (in regards to covid). That doesn't mean I don't think they should happen, but they are riskier.

DD will be doing indoor with her club team, but the location has on their website some of the steps they're taking.

bigredfutbol and NewDadaCoach repped this.
  16. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our local indoor facility is open for teams and coaches, but not spectators during the scamdemic. They are livestreaming the games though to the parents who tailgate in the parking lot. It actually works out better, because we can drink beer in our cars and couldn't do that inside the facility.

17. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
  18. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    The indoor place seems to be taking covid seriously. They seem to be doing all they can to mitigate. Like limiting who can enter, sanitation stations, temperature checks, etc. So I think it's fairly safe. I think I'll sign my kid up. I'm excited

19. Synergy77

Synergy77 New Member

Barca
    Brazil
    Jul 4, 2019
    Lake County, IL
    Just curious if there are any recommended (taking precautions) indoor facilities in Lake County, IL that plan on hosting league play for boys u14 team? Kids are eager to stay active. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

20. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I am confused about indoor - Too me it seems that JB's decree is a continuation on what has been the norm - now competitive matches between opposing teams (inter-league only). Am I wrong?

21. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I came up with what I think would be a cool idea for indoor facilities...

Set up IP cameras and a streaming server on site (or even better remote). One camera/field. Parents drop their kids off at the door, sit in the parking lot, join the guest wifi, then select the field they want to watch.

The facility can sell ads to run at 1/2 or 1/4 breaks, and/or charge more for access to see the stream. Bet you they could make up the initial investment within a couple years (especially if you could watch via internet and not just intranet).

VolklP19, bigredfutbol and NewDadaCoach repped this.
  22. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    My kid just played his first game. They had all the doors (2 man doors and a garage door) open so great ventilation.
    My 6 yr old played for the first time in U8. Got put on a random team. Had no subs. But we won by a lot. My kid scored 2. Feels serendipitous. The coach was very nice. And my kid's team has some skilled older players that he can learn from.
    We are a bit fortunate here in that the winters are mild, so maybe they'll be able to leave all the doors open to the outside all winter. It feels no less safe than going to grocery store. Maybe even safer.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A belated update--they did indeed go out of business. Kinda regret missing the estate sale--they had a lot of cool old banners from the 70's & 80's around the entire facility, would have been nice to snag one or two.

My son first played there in 2004 or so, and I started playing Men's Over-30 (the very first 'organized' soccer I ever played in my life) there shortly after. My son and/or I played there off and on until a bit over a year ago. Sad to see it go.

24. jvgnj

jvgnj Member

Apr 22, 2015
    The hockey rinks by me are set up this way. There’s an app (the name escapes me) you can get that streams the games for around $80/year. One parent brings a generator and a TV and they watch in the parking lot. One of the basketball facilities my kids play at has set up something similar for the upcoming season, though I haven’t gotten the details yet. Seems like an easy way to limit the number of people in the building.

25. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Yep, that's sad. Hopefully most figure out a way to make it through this.

The local one I mentioned to start this thread is still running (though for sale) and started winter leagues this week. No idea what their numbers are like but it looks like players/coaches/ref only in the building for each game.

We're not participating, but that's mainly because my son's club remains active and my knees, ankles, ... informed last year that I had no business playing on a team anymore (at least not in the over-30 league here that's a catch-all for 40s, 50s, ..., or the 18-and-over 7v7 outdoor league run by our indoor place).

bigredfutbol repped this.