Indiana

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by hoosiercountry, Nov 29, 2004.

1. osteng2

osteng2 New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    By the way, Kevin1414, where did you see Nguyen play?

2. kevin1414

kevin1414 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    No, he isn't a huge kid. Will need to lift some weights. But is very fast/quick. He plays attacking midfield for the Texans. Probably plays somewhere in that role at IU with Plotkin helping. Or him helping Plotkin. Don't see him as an outside midfielder - not that kind of running power.

It will be really interesting to see the way Frei uses his attack next year - Plotkin and Nguyen play the same position, but both need/must be on the field.

With the way they changed the defense some this year, with success, they may try something different next year up front - but this is just speculation.

I've seen him play many times. But Disney, Dallas Cup, Regionals

3. osteng2

osteng2 New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Thanks, Sounds great!

4. foosball

foosball New Member

May 1, 2003
    According to the Indy Star in today's edition,IU will lose Moor,Zayner,Yates and Pomeroy(all with eligibility remaining) in addition to O'Rourke and Nolly.
    Yates got quite a bit of PT as a sub this year up top,but all of our forwards are returning and redshirts will be in the mix as well.Since he and Pomeroy are graduating they are both passing on a fifth year of eligibility and going out on top.Probably a good call for both.
    Moor and Zayner are "going pro" but the article had no details.Maybe P-40 and MLS for both.
    This will open a gaping hole in our defense losing our keeper,two highest rated defenders and our "heart and soul" D-mid.Someone compared this to a baseball team losing its catcher, shortstop,second baseman and centerfielder at the same time.Probably a good analogy.
    Lots of PT to be had in the back and lots of opportunity for guys to step up!

5. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all expected O'Rourke & Nolly due to graduation. We all expected Moor & Zayner after our "inside sources" filled us in a few weeks ago. Some of us expected Pomeroy to forego his final year of eligibility if they won the title. However, I'm not sure any of us expected Yates. He knows he won't start in 2005, but he's a vital part of the Hoosier's attack off the bench. It's a lost art in college soccer to be that important off the bench day in and day out. I truly thought he'd return to try and be on the first IU team to win 3 in a row! We have PLENTY of young talent eager to step in at all of these vacated positions - the IU faithful aren't too concerned - but I wish Yates was going to be on the 2005 roster. Too bad.

6. Dr Beeper

Dr Beeper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Does nayone know why Iu didnt recruit the Bower kid from St Louis....some poeple say he may be on of the best backs (top 5) in the nation and he is a midwest guy.....I never question what IU does, they know exactly what to do, but I see this kid as someone who could have helped fill these holes............look for Stevning to step in the back and also, its time now for Dieterle to become a good soccer player and not just a man marker/"head banger"

7. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few years ago, Yeagley decided to pass on McKinley Tenneson (sp?) from North Central High School in Indianapolis. Key went on to UCLA where he later knocked IU out of the Final Four with a late game-winner. He ran by the IU bench and just smiled at Jerry. Tough moment for all the Hoosier faithful! The decision to pass on Key may have looked very bad at that particular moment, but in the long run, IU had the last laugh. I think it's okay to question what IU does, but it sure is hard to argue! *******

8. goyoureddevils

Dec 17, 2002
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    As I remember, Tenneson passed on IU... not the other way around. It was a big deal because one or more North Central players were already at IU and were friends of his - I believe George Crawford was one of them, and everyone assumed he would come to Bloomington.

It was what 96 or 97? Musta been 96 because I think it was Todd Yeagleys last game, along with a really good class of seniors who had started nearly every game since they were freshman..... I was stunned when they lost to UCLA because they had been the most talented team in the nation for four years and they were just SUPPOSED to win.

Yeah, that was a bittersweet night alright, but I swear going to UCLA was Tenneson's idea, not Jerry's.

9. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. Actually, I think we're both right. From what I remember about the situation, Yeagley gave an offer - as you mentioned, but it was a fairly weak scholarship offer. And as you said, everyone assumed Key was going to IU - probably including Yeagley! But as we all know, it didn't work out like that due to a great offer from UCLA that was put on the table.

Either way, that goal he scored against us felt like someone punched me in the gut! Go Hoosiers *******

10. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Actually, it's not that much of a surprise. Yates is married (or soon to be) and was having trouble getting the courses he wanted other than in the fall semester (a definite problem for a soccer player). Yates announced long ago and was one of the speakers in the parents' day fete along w/ the "other" seniors, O'Rourke, Nolly & Badger. Anyway, he's had quite a career.

BRF