Indiana Vassilev: Raider of the Aston Villa Park

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An '01 midfielder who was part of the U17 World Cup team this past fall.

According to Soccerway, Indiana Vassilev has played in Aston Villa's last two U18 games. It is unclear to me whether he has signed or whether he is on trial. His last name is Bulgarian, so if he has a passport he'd be able to bypass the UK's work permit requirement - at least until Brexit is implemented, anyway.

http://us.soccerway.com/matches/201.../west-ham-united-fc-under-18-academy/2558581/

http://us.soccerway.com/matches/201...demy/aston-villa-fc-under-18-academy/2558588/

And indeed the Villa website confirms the West Ham appearance. (They haven't posted a match report for the Reading U18 game yet.)

He has been linked to the club in the past.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/11/0...sk-for-talks-over-signing-indiana-vassilev-t/

punintended_13, Gacm32, DC_Dave and 6 others repped this.
  2. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  3. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on looking at the progress bar on the stats page for the game against Reading, looks like Vassilev started and played 65'.

Winoman repped this.
  4. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman, BostonRed and ShaftBrewer repped this.
  5. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    Does that mean he has been signed? I'm unsure if a trialist would be able to play in a FA Youth Cup match.

6. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering the same thing.

7. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    ckajMonet, Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  8. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    много добре.

Hard for me not to root for this kid. I'd love to see a successful Bulgarian-American.

Rahbiefowlah and TheFalseNine repped this.
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Reminds me of the time, several years from now when he is of legal drinking age, that Indiana Vassilev walked into a bar and asked for a beer.

"Here you go," the bartender replied, setting a mug down in front of him. "That'll be $10. By the way, we don't get many successful Bulgarian-Americans in here."

"Well, at these prices," Vassilev replied, "you won't get many more!"

(Sorry. I only have like three jokes, none of them good.)

11. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    Most of the time, I have no idea what you're talking about.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That reminds of of the time, several years from now when he is of legal drinking age and retired from a long and successful career as a Bulgarian-American soccer player for Aston Villa.

He was just sitting at the end of a bar, minding his own business adjusting the napkins, when a guy walks in a bit fired up for some reason or other, and he's a Birmingham City fan to boot, and he recognizes Vassilev and decides to do something about it.

He rips his coat off, showing a throwback BCFC jersey, jumps up on the bar, and declares, at the top of his voice: "I'm going to buy a drink for everyone in this bar, except for that tosser Indiana Vassilev!"

A huge cheer erupts. But the guy can't help notice that Vassilev looks quite pleased. In fact, he gives the guy a smile and a friendly salute. And that just irks the fella even more.

So he does it again -- jumps back up on the bar, dashes off a quick verse of an old team song, and then hollers: "One more time! Another round for everyone here, except for that Bulgarian-American Indiana Vassilev!"

You can imagine his disappointment when he looks over again and Vassilev just gives him a polite bow.

So he says to the bartender: "What's all this then? Why's that Vassilev so happy while I'm up here rubbing his nose in it?"

"I suppose," replies the bartender, "it's because he owns this place."

eliwood, Rahbiefowlah, Winoman and 9 others repped this.
  13. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Starts today for Aston Villa U18 in an FA Youth Cup match at Bury

ckajMonet, ielag, TxEx and 2 others repped this.
  14. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    So that seals it... He must've at least signed a scholar or apprentice contract?

15. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Namazi Calls in 24 Players for Pair of U-18 Matches vs. Costa Rica

U.S. U-18 MNT Roster by Position:
    GOALKEEPERS (3): David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; Oxnard, Calif.), Jacob Schick (Chargers Soccer Club; Palm Harbor, Fla.), Kris Shakes (Philadelphia Union; Austin, Texas)

DEFENDERS (6): Julian Araujo (Barca Academy; Lompoc, Calif.), Nico Benalcazar (New York City FC; Wilton, Conn.), Ian Hoffmann (Karlsuher SC; Karlsruher, Germany), Nelson Martinez (D.C. United; Woodbrigde, Va.), David Mendoza (Chicago Fire; Gage Park, Ill.), Leonardo Sepulveda (LA Galaxy; Corona, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Taylor Booth (Unattached; Eden, Utah), Cameron Duke (Sporting KC; Overland Park, Kan.) Roberto Hategan (Sacramento Republic F.C.; Chicago, Ill.), Aidan Morris (Crew SC Academy; Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.), Owen Otasowie (Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C.; New York, N.Y.), Marcelo Palomino (Houston Dynamo; Houston, Texas), Stuart Ritchie (FC Groningen; Pleaston, Calif.) Thomas Roberts (FC Dallas; Little Rock, Ark.), Indiana Vassilev (Aston Villa F.C.; Savannah, Ga.)

FORWARDS (6): Konrad De La Fuente (FC Barcelona; Barcelona, Spain), Jalen Hawkins (FC Bayern Munich; Regensburg, Germany), Ulysses Llanez (LA Galaxy; Lynwood, Calif.), Bryan Reynolds (FC Dallas; Frisco, Texas), Jose Rivas (Crew SC Academy; Weston, Fla.), Stefan Stojanovic (Sockers FC; Chicago, Ill.)

16. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Started today, went 90 as Aston Villa U18 visited Norwich U18 and won 1 - 2

Calum Stretch remained on the bench today

Tom Collingsworth and ckajMonet repped this.
  17. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Do you happen to know what position he was playing?

18. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    From what I can see.....in a 4 2 3 1, he was playing left AM

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  21. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Started today, went 90, for Aston Villa U18 and got the credit for an Assist on their 2nd goal in a 2 - 2 draw at West Ham U18 in U18 Premier League

22. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we know if he signed any kind of contract (professional or academy) with Villa or is he still there on trial?

23. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't think trialists can play in official youth league competitions in England. So he's got to be on one of those two contracts you mentioned.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  24. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    He is registered with the English FA as an Aston Villa player - so he is not trialing any longer. He did sign a 3 year deal with Villa, but I cannot find any info as to whether this was a (full) Pro, or Academy. (from what I can see, Villa has yet to make an "official" announcement of his signing)

25. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Dave. I'll update the thread title.