Indiana-Butler (r)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Hoosiers tie in-state rival Butler 1-1.

http://www.iuhoosiers.com/menssoccer/news/03-04/msc10-02-03.html

Jerry Yeagley's chances of breaking the all-time win record were slim when the season started and are almost non existant now.

IU is now 2-3-4 and has nine regular season games left.

Yeagley needs 15 wins to tie Steve Negoesco's 544 W's and barring an unbelievable undefeated streak that lasts till the Final Four, he ain't going to catch him this year. He has repeatedly said that he won't change his mind on retirement and come back next year just to break the record so it would appear that record is safe.

And, if Yeagley doesn't break it, I don't see anyone on the immedaite horizon - and I mean the next 10 years - doing it unless Bruce or Sigi come back to college ball!

2. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    The perils of bringing in a former professional (Todd) to rearrange the system. I've caught several IU games this season, and this is not the IU system of old. Gone is the vaunted sweeper, replaced with a 4 back system. Lots of possession in tight spaces and much less overall athleticism, especially defensively, than Hoosier teams of old.
    Despite the shot advantage, this was an IU loss, but for a Butler defensive lapse with 18 seconds left in the 1st half. IU was completly gassed in the 2 overtime periods as well, and were fortunate to have had a hand ball waived off in the box late in the 1st OT.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So there are four coaches on the staff and the first-year volunteer assistant is in charge of the schemes?

This sounds a little far-fetched.

4. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Maybe, but the volunteer assistant has the right last name, and it was the volunteer assistant and the first assistant doing all the coaching, and the system not looking at all familiar.