InDemand's e-mail about cutting MLS games

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by usagoal, Sep 5, 2002.

1. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    These receivers don't work with DishNetwork, do they? I was under the impression that once the merger was finalized they would work on compatibility, but for right now they're not. If this is true, then where do I find these for DN? So far I haven't had any luck.

2. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Looks like somebody isn't in to comparison shopping.

I overpaid for my unit (about $179) because I was an existing Directv customer (they will practically give it to you if you're a new satellite customer).

Instead of $250, you can also pay $9.95 for a monthly subscription.

3. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    If you have Dish, you may have to buy one of their PVRs

4. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Do you have digital cable (i.e. "indemand") or a satellite dish?

I have digital cable and don't appear to be getting a single MLS match on indemand this weekend.

5. smac09

smac09 New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    New York
    inComplete

Same here, I've got Time Warner in Brooklyn and nothing's showing up anywhere I check...CONSARNIT

6. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have digi cable with iNDemand. I confirmed the tape-delayed game times with MLS today, but they are still working to get them switched to live coverage or a shorter delay.

Trust me when I say this is a top priority for MLS. They know it isn't showing in on-screen guides but they are working hard to make things as right as they can.

7. smac09

smac09 New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    New York
    Thanks, that's reassuring!

8. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Re: inComplete

I'm in Brooklyn (although they don't say consarnit in my neck of the woods) w/TWCNYC and have it on my schedule.

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the absolute worst mistake that anyone can make in a "DirecTV vs. DISH" decision is to start thinking about the merger. First of all, there's a very good chance it might not even happen. Second, if it does happen, nobody really knows what's going to happen with the two different systems. Will they keep the two separate systems under one company or will they get rid of DirecTV or will they get rid of DISH Network? No one knows. Third, there's no way you're going to be left high and dry if DirecTV goes away because of the merger. DISH Network is going to want to keep you as a subscriber, so they'd send you a comparable DISH receiver if they got rid of DirecTV post-merger.

But the bottom line is to not worry about the merger right now. Only worry about the stuff that matters, like programming and cost and customer service.

Incidentally, DISH has some really unscrupulous dealers working for it that have been trying to foist DISH systems on DirecTV subscribers by using the whole "the companies are merged and it's only a matter of time before your DirecTV equipment becomes glorified boat anchors, but we can sign you up right now for DISH Network and it'll cost you nothing but you have to sign a 12-month contract" bait-and-switch. If you get one of those phone calls, don't bother.

But I wouldn't bother with the DISH PVRs. They haven't had the features or reliability of Tivo. Some people have called them pieces of crap, but I have no personal experience with them. And oh yeah, there are no DISH receivers with integrated Tivo.

Right now, if you're interested in satellite and Tivo, I'd recommend getting DirecTV with the integrated Tivo.

(Disclaimer: I've got DISH Network and a standalone TiVo connected to it.)

10. smac09

smac09 New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    New York
    Re: Re: inComplete

Checked right after I posted, and DAG NABBIT, thar she whar.

Or something to that effect.

11. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Do you own shares in Hughes electronics, TiVO, or Univision, though?

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or does he short any shares?