Increased Costa Living - The Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Ninjatend0, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The continuous links with Van Dijk is mind-boggling.

2. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We've already spent 140m euros on three players. Willy was free. The normal amount we spend on a player is between 30-40m. Anything over that is a splurge (Morata).

So, say we need three more players. Your budget is 75m. Go.

3. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Missed this one.

Conte's demeanor scares me more than anything squad related. Despite not signings players we really need, I have a hard time feeling the board hasn't backed him so being mopey about the team in public is just eh to me.. widely accepted that this is an incredibly difficult market to operate in and Conte hardly seems to be the most creative when it comes to scoping out potential recruits.

JimWharton repped this.
  4. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Might not be the most ideal candidate, but one poor season at Barcelona ≠ pretty bad overall. Quite a few players have had the odd poor season at a club where they don't fit in and still turn out well. He showed a lot of promise at Valencia, is only 24, stylistically actually fits the type of CM we need, and would cost around €35-40M. For the relative chump change that is in today's market, I would easily take Gomes over the likes of Danny Drinkwater.

All signs seem to be pointing to some last minute buys at the end of the window again though so I'm resigned to "halfway decent Serie A wingback + mediocre depth center midfielder" coming in and the board calling it good

Wrath repped this.
  5. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Kante, Conte, Cahill all dropping subtle hints that they're not deep enough.

I know there is all of August to operate, but these are not new problems. That is the real issue. These have been known problems since January - that we saw Conte's new formation and absolutely knew that depth was needed in specific areas. To not have realistic targets contacted and have offers for them on July 1 is unacceptable.

Dtrip77 repped this.
  6. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Apparently Conte didn't even look Emenalo in the eye when they shook hands. Read into it as you like but i 100% support Conte in this. I will be massively pissed if Conte walks due to this incompetence.

Blueallthru repped this.
  7. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The board takes all the heat for the lack of signings which would make sense if Conte didn't seem to only have his eyes set on unattainable players, ex. Sandro. We know so little of what goes on behind the scenes that I have a very hard time getting on the "the board sucks and Conte is a victim of Emanalo's reign of terror" bandwagon.

What I do think is unforgivable is allowing Matic and Chalobah to walk. It is honestly mindblowing.

sydneymuganzi and JimWharton repped this.
  8. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Deadline day madness, do not forget that Robinho joined Citeh (Thank god) on the last day.

That said, Drinkwater will probably be the one player we're always linked to but nothing ever happens (Bruno Alves, Miguel).

And enjoy the summer! Seriously.

9. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It is raning in New York. Nothing to enjoy here

10. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Aren't you following along? If a player has ever been bad, then they are bad forever (see James Rodriguez).

And I think I'm going to found the Danny Drinkwater Anti-Defamation League. Charter members: me, Danny Drinkwater's mum.

11. Doppel6

Doppel6 Member

Chelsea
    Aug 2, 2017
    Eh, I'd be more inclined to agree with you if not for Lampard's comments yesterday, as well as the comments from the players themselves. There's nothing positive about what's going on right now; the lack of depth is blindingly obvious. With four competitions this season, one or two injuries could be disastrous.

Plus, I don't understand your "unattainable players" label. If Conte was set on Candreva, I'm sure many (not necessarily you) would slam him for wanting "average Serie A players." Look around Europe; who would you want us to go after for LWB?

Wrath repped this.
  12. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Idk.. maybe the club with tens of millions of dollars in resources, a vast scouting network and filled with people paid lots and lots of money could maybe be used to pick out someone who a club said they aren't selling and would cost over 70 mil? Maybe, just maybe.

13. Doppel6

Doppel6 Member

Chelsea
    Aug 2, 2017
    So, you're telling me there's a Champions League quality LWB somewhere in the world that we non-casual fans don't know about?

14. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's more complicated than just offering $ to a player. If the player wants to come or not, for example. That said:

One example: Not having done any homework and not having an offer to Ricardo Rodriguez for 20m on 12:01AM, July 1 is super frustrating. Fits a need perfectly. We could offer as much and more than Milan.

We're asleep.

15. Doppel6

Doppel6 Member

Chelsea
    Aug 2, 2017
    I understand that. I've never believed that Sandro would come to Chelsea, but the fact that we haven't been targeting anyone else (or seemingly haven't) shows a lack of awareness.

16. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Toljan (sp?) from Hoffenheim. He's really about it.

17. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Remy still with the squad? He was great in fifa 2016!

JimWharton repped this.
  18. Doppel6

Doppel6 Member

Chelsea
    Aug 2, 2017
    I've seen him linked with Spurs recently. I'm not sure how strong those links are, but they're there.

19. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If you're in the city, I'm saying blasphemy. :p If it's Albany or elsewhere, sorry to hear that.

20. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Middle of Manhattan :(

21. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think it's unrealistic to think that Conte + the board have had some Marcos Alonso-level targets throughout the summer. In fact I'd guarantee that they have. The frustrating and downright bizarre thing it is that we seem deadset on going for our top level targets no matter how little hope there is of signing them when we could've tied up secondary targets long ago. Not really sure whose fault that is, but I imagine it's some sort of combination of Conte and the board.

Van Dijk handed in a transfer request to Southampton today

JimWharton repped this.
  22. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Also, no one saw Moses and Alonso helping transform this club into a title winning club. Or Luiz. We all expected another trophyless season and a hope of CL.

Alonso, I think, is a very good wingback. He has limitations (speed), but his pros outweigh the cons. Great positioning, IQ, defense, height is a plus, scores goals.

Moses, I think, is a very average wingback. He's quick and offensively very dangerous. But his defense is poor and he switches off quite frequently. Also poor in defending headers.

Fabregas is a fantastic passer of the ball, goalscorer, and facilitator. But we just get overrun defensively when he is on the field.

These are the three greatest areas of need. Bakayoko, maybe he's the guy to put Fabregas on the bench. I doubt it. I'm OK with our offensive depth of Hazard, Pedro, Willian, Musonda, Morata, and Michy. Centrally, I like Cahill, Rudiger, Caesar, Luiz, Christensen. We're great at the keeper position.

For the wingbacks: Pereira (Porto), Emerson (Roma), Antonio (West Ham), Toljan (Hoffenheim), Grimaldo (Benfica), Roberto (Barca)

For the midfielder: A warm body at this point for ********'s sake.

23. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is why I believe we need to be targeting depth at RWB rather than LWB at this point. In the Champions League, Moses will be targeted immediately and found out if we're up against any slightly quality squad. Alonso will at least be solid enough defensively to hold up against most sides we face, especially early on. At worse case scenario, Azpi can cover for Alonso if injured, and we will most likely switch to a deep counter attacking style of play. Moses is a complete liability if we want anything out of the CL this season imo

24. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I actually think Alonso needs a back up more then Moses.

As frustrating as Moses can be at times, (especially when he makes a bad throw in) I think this season he will be more dependable then Alonso. Moses has Azpi behind him who is our best defender. On the left hand side we have Alonso who when at his best is fantastic, but has had quite a few poor games over the past 6 months and pre-season. Alonso / Cahill is the weak link compared to Moses / Azpi IMO.

I also believe that as fantastic as Gary Cahill is defensively, he is such a liability when he have the ball and is constantly negative in possession.

I have said numerous times that Ricardo Rodriguez would have been such a great buy, especially at €20M. I think we missed out on him because Milan signed him so early in the market while we still were trying to pursue Alex Sandro. Probably it came down to bad timing and I can't blame the club 100% on that transfer but we should have shown interest in him that way his camp doesn't rush into a deal with Milan.

We need 2 wing backs and 1 CM. Those are an absolute necessity.

I think we could also do with another wide player and another striker as well but we really need to sign those two wing backs and another CM.

Michy / Morata should be able to get 25-30 league goals between them next season and I think the competition between the two will be good. A 3rd choice striker who is more direct and better at hold up would be good to have but we have more important needs before we should look into that.

25. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Morata's been playing wing for us in the pre-season, when Hazzard's healthy, why not play all three across the front? Put our best talent on the pitch.