Increased Costa Living - The Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Ninjatend0, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah, well...Grizzly bears.

2. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It could be he wants the flexibity to go to both formations if he has to.

3. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I mean I'd be for that. I've supported the idea of a 3-5-2 but there has been nothing to suggest that. It's pure speculation whereas it's quite known that Costa has wanted out.

4. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think we need to prepare ourselves that Costa (China), Courtois (Madrid), Fabregas (anywhere he can play) will leave this summer. And that Moses, Alonso, Cahill, Matic will be replaced or reinforced. We will be in Europe after all.

5. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I sure as hell hope we don't get rid of all three. That doesn't bode well for being top 4 next season.

6. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    3-5-2 is not only a possibility it's something happens rather frequently already. fairly often we've gone to 3 central midfielders later in games. i also think for this reason there is a good chance fabregas sticks around. it depends on him but i really don't think conte will usher him out the door. fabregas has proved invaluable at time this season. he's realy only a non-starter against top 6 when we need more speed and defensive aggression. in all other situations he's capable, and in some situations exactly the player needed.

now, if verratti becomes a thing, then i would expect him to leave. but then, we'll be fine i think. you also have to make the assumption that any player leaving will be replaced by WC talent at this point. with the money we have to spend and becoming a CL team again, we should be able to pull that off. Courtois worries me most. but he's now in a situation where he's happy and loving his new GK coach as well. if madrid come calling it will be hard but i don't think it's automatic like some people believe.

7. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Only bears she'd see in West Michigan is if she went north, but they'd be black bears. You're not seeing grizzlies in Grand Rapids. Or anywhere in Michigan.

Blueallthru repped this.
  8. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Bear in mind the season we had though. Lot of guys weren't exactly looking like they wanted to be here until Jose was gone. Then Guus comes in and we look competent all of a sudden.

9. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Reports going around that Costa will agree to a 5 year deal @ 225k a week.

Not into it tbh

10. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Why aren't you into it?

Personally, I love it. He'll be on our highest wages but it doesn't break our wage structure. It should also mean that when China comes calling again they are going to have to pay even more.

11. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Has 2, MAYBE 3 good seasons left in him. If we want to cash out then let him bounce this summer. He's been really good for us sure, but highest wages good? Not really. His output isn't worthy of a mega contract, let alone a 5 year deal.

Should he bang in 30 goals next season and shut me up, great. I'm just not seeing that.

12. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That's fair. Not sure I agree however.

13. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I see your side of it and if it happens I won't be mad about it, just don't feel he really deserves it.

14. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    he's scored a goal every other game during his time at chelsea. not really sure what else you can ask of him. asked me this after last year and i would have said to sell. but after the turn around i've seen this year and his commitment to adjust his on field personality and game and i'd say we have a late bloomer that can play at an elite level for a while longer. and it's a contract extension, not a buy, the amortization of investment just gets longer and he gets cheaper on our books. he also doesn't rely only on blazing speed. think three years down the road, if he falls off we'd buy another striker anyway, just like we would now. and he either becomes an experienced and capable backup or forces a move, but by that time we're not out much of an investment anymore as his fee would be almost fully amortized.

OR, china pays more next year.....

either way, i believe the rumor starts with the SUN and isn't super reliable, so probably better we be surprised when it happens rather than worry about it too much.

Yahtzee repped this.
  15. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    if we're talking about current player contract situations, honeslty the best thing that can happen is utd finishing outside of top 4 again and de gea wanting out. that keeps madrid away from courtois in my eyes.

16. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well said... I think I agree with you & blue now.

My question is - are we going to sign a goal scoring mid or nah? Because we are in desperate need. Imagine another dozen goals coming from someone other than Hazard and Diego (Pedro too)? Whew.

17. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This seems like a classic case of paying for the goals he's scored rather than the goals we think he'll score. We've already paid for his past goals and I think that contract is too much. But what do I care, it's not my money and I think Conte is going to spend pretty heavily this summer.

Though he wasn't able to secure any of his top targets this past summer, CL will help.

18. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Kante wasn't a top target?

19. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think securing Costa for next season is probably the best signing we can do this year. It's better than going through the media circus with him leaving and us trying to replace him.

At this point, we need to gain a better understanding of Bats and if he'll eventually earn the trust of the boss. Cause if he doesn't, then we need to find a suitable replacement.

xamers repped this.
  20. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You're right.

Michy was a Conte target as well.

I should have been more specific and said defensive targets. Luiz and Alonso were not his #1-3 choices in my opinion.

21. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Regarding Luiz, he may not have been first choice but he's been the best choice.

stanger and xamers repped this.
  22. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And I'm been a Luiz critic for a long time. He's been amazing so far this year.

23. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    romelu lukaku

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other bonus of this deal is we don't need to over pay for a striker replacement if he's to leave as his new deal has him locked in. Perception is important

25. xamers

xamers Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I continue to shake my head when his name comes up. Yes, he scores. Does anyone watch Everton? Jesus, they are dysfunctional up top and it all starts with Lukaku. He doesn't link with others. If we are going to shell out 90M for someone, I can drum up 10 names who fit the system better and won't approach 90M. Lukaku is a great player if surrounded by lesser players because he'll score despite the squad. That's his role in the EPL. He won't improve when surrounded by Eden Hazards. What he will do is effectively piss everyone else off.

This team only improves with world-class players. Adding a 25M guy here and there doesn't get us more than we already have. We got lucky with Alonso and Luiz. Both have played way over expectations thus far. Moses, who I'm not as high on as others, still has surpassed expectations. Those players aren't going anywhere and we aren't seeing an illusion of talent. They will be back and somewhat better next year.

The need is for world-class linking players at the expense of regulars who may or may not appreciate the transfers. Tough love, but brass has to make the right moves. Can't just bring in anyone. When you're essentially at the pinnacle (assuming EPL win) of English ball, you have to make a move that the majority in the locker room are OK with. Unless of course the goal is to blow up the locker room, which is needed from time to time as well.

Wrath repped this.