Increased Costa Living - The Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Ninjatend0, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  2. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tough to measure yet and certainly no big names were added but I see this window as a mature one for the club. We have made a whacking big profit on Oscar and also found new homes for players who were in decline making room for younger players to come in and make an impact which the fans have been crying out for.

If the lack of a new signing or two means a reliance on our youth for the rest of the season I see that as a plus. Better this than a wasted 30m buy that doesn't make us that much better - it's really tough to find value in this window.

Last of all, and whilst anything can happen in the next 15 matches, we have a huge lead right now so it really does feel like "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

That Oscar money will be far better spent in the summer.

Blueallthru and Yahtzee repped this.
  3. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    It was remarkably slow and without a ton of drama. I am fine with us shedding some dead weight this window but if/when we return to Europe those places will have to be filed and like KDB wrote we would probably be better off shopping in the summer.

Blueallthru repped this.
  4. Cletis

Cletis Member+

Jul 12, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    67mil Euros net income plus dumping several large wage bills, all without losing any significant player minutes or depth. When you consider we got Ake and Kennedy back from loans, it was an incredibly successful transfer window. Congrats once again to the board, Emenalo and Granovskaia. Unbelievable job they are doing for the club, surely among the very best management in Europe.

5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I just hope we're proactive in the summer. I understand why we weren't this past year given Conte's late arrival, but I'm hoping this isn't system. We can really use another fullback and another winger, imho. Veratti wouldn't hurt things either.

Wrath repped this.
  6. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I feel like we are in a pretty good place. The only issue I have is our total lack of cover for either wingback and fully hope and honestly expect Ake to replace one of them.

Our young players have the ability to really step up and make a place for themselves in this squad right now without having to worry about a managerial change. Conte will likely be here for at least one more full season. With his preference to play some of the yoof that will play into their hands with potentially solidifying a place in this squad.

7. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Long as we make the needed upgrades, cool.

Aside from the lateness, I also think that our position in the table last year affected things. We did try to go for a bunch of people, we just kept getting rejected. Teams look at where we finished and can play hard ball. It helps when you have CL, chance to win, and a nice wage to go with all that.

8. Cletis

Cletis Member+

Jul 12, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The club spent over 130mil Euros this past summer acquiring several key starting players who have put the club in position to win the league. It was a proactive, prolific and highly successful summer transfer window by any measure one could possibly imagine.

The club is now making great progress on transitioning some of the older (more expensive) players out, or players like Oscar who don't fit the new plan. We've all accepted that John Terry may play his last game for the club, and it likely won't be a meaningful game, without a ripple of discontent (this as opposed to the public shitstorm over Terry's contract less than a year ago.) I'm truly amazed by how successful this management team has been.

Blueallthru repped this.
  9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    We were successful, but let's not confuse it with proactive. Luiz didn't come in until the last day of the deadline, similar to Alonso. Other than signing Kante early, we mostly left things late. That worked out this time, but given that we'll almost certainly also have the CL next year, we'll need to keep improving just to keep the pace. I very much prefer we identify those targets quickly and move on them fast, the way clubs like Bayern and Juve do.

Wrath repped this.
  10. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Be prepared for a volatile summer. We'll have CL to lure and keep players around, but clubs will be coming for Costa, Hazard, Courtois, Fabregas at the very least.

11. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We have no reason to sell basically anyone unless the Diego rumors were true. Would be disappointed to see anyone leave tbh. We need upgrades, not money.

12. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Plus, if we're in the CL and champions, what clubs have a realistic shot of buying our players? Real and Barca; that's it.

13. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's a player-driven model across all sports right now. If the player wants to leave, he'll leave. Contracts mean squat. Whether we want to sell doesn't matter.

Real, Barca, City, United, Arsenal, Munich, Juventus, China can all buy our players. But only a few can match or better our wages.

14. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    yea, Madrid interest would basically be the only thing to worry about at this point. and IF we can pull off a title or top two then i think the squads feelings about being at chelsea will be nice and healthy going into decision season. and if a player forces his way out, we'll also be in a much better position to attract top replacements.

Blueallthru repped this.
  15. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  16. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Those listed all have some problem with them at the moment.

United? I have a feeling more than 75% of our team don't want anything to with Mourinho. Arsenal? Wenger is petrified of buying big name players. City? They can offer money but they need to make major updates to their squad. Juve? Italy isn't as great as it used to be. Bayern? Maybe. China? Unless you're Oscar, doubt it.

Only Real and Barca can have some effect and their squads seem set. Unless Real decide to buy players they don't need again.

17. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think Madrid will want to freshen up their squad. They're not happy at GK and I'm almost positive they'll sign Aubamayeng this summer.

18. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i'm wary of Morata being linked if Costa leaves. i'm just not sold on him yet.

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    The notion of Wenger buying our players is hilarious.

20. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Navas might be the best goalkeeper in Spain. De Gea would likely be their top choice anyways given their penchant for buying top Spanish players. Hazard maybe, but I don't think we'll want to sell yet unless the offer is too good to refuse.

21. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That too. But it's also hilariously obvious how scared he is of buying big.

22. Cletis

Cletis Member+

Jul 12, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all those years at Atletico, one would expect Courtois to be loathe to go to Real. I would think the Atleti supporters would absolutely destroy him and make his life in Madrid miserable. That said, other than players with historical loyalty to Barca or Atletico, the general rule is that Real gets what Real wants. If they come calling for Hazard some day, I think he'd be gone. I would expect the club to set a transfer record if it were to happen.

Blueallthru repped this.
  23. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    He did buy Cech....and Billy, but I guess that was an exception.

24. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Those weren't players we wanted to keep. If Arsenal offered us a lot of money for, say, Loic Remy, I'm sure we'd sell him to them too.

25. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC