In your opinion, who should be the highest rated player in FIFA 08?

Discussion in 'Games' started by The_ChelseaSupporter, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I know, I know. Ultimately the entire discussion if worthless unless we know the actual criteria/equation that is used for FIFA.

*sigh*

2. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly don't know it, but the easiest way to find out typically is to go into the creation engine and edit/create and see what skills impact the overall more than others at that position.

I figure it was pace because last year when editing my FIFA rosters around, I tried to make Drogba better to reflect his high form. Yet it wouldn't let me make him anything higher than about an 88 unless I dramatically increased his pace.

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The last FIFA I bought was the one released during the 01/02 season, so I've no idea how the player stats are done now. I don't even know the different components that 'make' a player.. :eek:

4. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.

Was that the one with Henry on the cover? I assume you've played them in the interim despite not purchasing. They're dramatically better now, I think.

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    It was the Henry one. I've played a bit but migrated over to PES after I had imported a copy of Winning Eleven. While FIFA is certainly heading in the right direction it has never been enough to tempt me back, although I'm considered going with both this year. The last time I seriously tried to play it was at my friend's house. I told him beforehand that I thought FIFA was far too easy, particularly shooting from range but he didn't believe me. I started the match, took four strides with Recoba and then fired an exocet into the top corner from miles out. We stopped and put PES in. FIFA 08, despite some obvious problems, is far, far better than what I had expected.

6. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While being a big FIFA fan, I can definately agree with the "long shot" characterization. Gerrard is deadly in that game for even a complete novice at it. Simply run at goal and smash the button and its either going to go in or get deflected right into the path of Kuyt. The FIFA World Cup version last summer was even worse because between Beckham, Lampard, and Gerrard you could just hit the button from anywhere within the attacking half and it would be on target and too hard for the keeper to catch most times, leading to either a goal or a deflection rebound. I think they were going for more intensity, but the long shots in that game seemed even more explosive than normal.

I've bought pretty much every soccer game released in the US in the last couple years... And I can't really get into PES. At the end of the day I want to play with real teams, real players, I want the presenation values, the manager mode. As long as the gameplay is good (which I think it is), I don't need it to be perfect (which frankly, I don't think PES is).

My biggest concern through buying every game released by each company for the last 2 years is that one is making changes, experimenting (if copying the competition can be called that), trying to get better and the other offers you essentially no advancement from year to year.

I play a half 2-3 times each night on the 08 demo and I generally really like it.

Most likely I'll buy PES this year again and like the last two times put it away after two weeks.

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    On which format do you get PES? I ask because if you value realism then the various option files that you can download fix all of the players, teams, leagues, strips, stadiums, etc.

8. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thus far on PS2. I haven't made the jump to next-gen, because until about... right now, there's been no reason. The next gen sports games have been pretty bad. Halo3, Mass Effect, etc. will be talking me into it, so maybe in the future on next gen.

I'm probably going to have FIFA 08 on PC, I'm not sure what the US release schedule for the different systems/PC is for PES...

EDIT: As well, I'm not overly tech savy. I've never really managed to connect any of my consoles nor to get into much modding or changing of gamefiles, etc. in PC games. The FIFA player editor engine is about as far as I get.

9. canadianscout

canadianscout New Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Remember, that player ratings in the game are based only partially on players performances in the prior year. EA Sports game creators do not base a overall player's rating by final ratings, eg. 92, 91. Ratings are developed by players individual attributes, eg. long passing, finishing, etc. Therefore players who have high ratings in those areas and play positions where those attributes are labeled as primary, means that they will get higher overall ratings.

10. Yana

Yana New Member

Sep 20, 2007
    I think Ronaldinho and Kaka. They have shown quite good results

11. Travarelli

Travarelli New Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Long Beach
    Kaka 89
    Messi 89
    Klose 88
    C.Ronaldo 88
    Totti 87
    Buffon 90
    Cech 90
    Fabregas 86
    Drogba 88
    Rooney 86
    Dinho 88
    Pirlo 88
    Torres 87

12. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL @ Del Piero. Uh, no.:rolleyes:

13. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This looks reasonable...Cech seems to be dipping though IMO, as is Buffon.

14. j.fisher

j.fisher So Much Better

May 3, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is Messi, Kaka and everyone else as far as I am concerned.

15. msk06

msk06 New Member

Oct 1, 2007
    Australia
    1st) Ronaldo/Kaka no questions asked.

2nd) Messi/Drogba

3rd) Ronaldinho/Henry

4th) Van-Pirsie/Fabregas

5th) The Rest

6th) Cannavaro :p

16. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what I think it should be:

1) Ronaldinho - 93
    2) C. Ronaldo - 92
    3) Buffon - 92
    4) Kaka - 91
    5) Henry - 91

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Its all pretty close. Kaka should be at or above Ronaldo. Dinho should be 1 above Ronaldo. Henry, the same ar CR7 I guess?

How about...

Kaka - 91
    Dinho - 91
    Henry - 90
    Ronaldo - 90
    Buffon - 90

18. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some of the ratings really bemuse me on that game! Like Schweinsteiger being 78?