In your opinion, who should be the highest rated player in FIFA 08?

Discussion in 'Games' started by The_ChelseaSupporter, Aug 26, 2007.

1. mth77

mth77 New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NC,USA
    Gerd Muller should be in there with 100 skill!

2. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Totti over Ronaldinho? Being a little too generous to Totti there.

3. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see why the overall rating matters all that much. I seriously doubt the EA people sit around worrying about 91s 90s, 89s, etc.

They come up with a formula for each spot on the field which computes a number based on a player's given ratings in all of the individual categories. So 91 is just Ronaldinho's rating when played at his "Primary Position."

Kaka, if I remember correctly is only an 88 in the formation he's played at in the default Milan lineup.

You move guys around, the number changes, change formations, the number changes... In the end, the one number that impacts absolutely nothing about the game is the one people go crazy over.

And while I loved Totti's season (the best in the world, I'd say)... That has almost nothing to do with ratings in a game determined by random things such as "dribbling," "ball control," "shot power," "finishing," etc. Not that Totti isn't exceptionally skilled, but just because he scores 30+ goals doesn't mean you suddenly take his dribble rating and make it Ronaldo's or take his speed and make it Henry's.

You get guys that score tons of goals but who are generally not flashy and don't show off the moves and such and it is simply difficult to make them high rated in the formula. Take Drogba last year, go in the editor and change it around, it's almost impossible to be anything close to honest and get him over an 88 or so. But you know what? It doesn't matter. The player will still play to his individual ratings and those that have elite subratings in at least one or two things gives them a skill they can exploit to get the job done.

4. Joshrocker48

Joshrocker48 New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Michigan
    I'd like to see Totti rated the highest.

But since it is FIFA 08 it will be Ronaldinho with Kaka or C. Ronaldo second highest.

5. apollo_1444

apollo_1444 Red Card

Apr 11, 2007
    mexico
    kaka
    messi

end of story.

6. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  7. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ditto

8. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What did Dinho do or win last year? I think Totti should be at least on par with Dinho after last year's performance by both.

9. FutbolLover

FutbolLover New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    NYC
    For me:

1. Kaka
    2. Messi
    3. Totti
    4. Drogba
    5. Ronaldinho

10. FutbolLover

FutbolLover New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    NYC
    Forgot about Cristiano Ronaldo. I'd put him after Kaka and Messi.

11. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ronaldo is a 88 in the game. Rooney an 87...Ronaldinho an 89 I believe.

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The rankings are all over the place in the demo. There seems to be no consistency at all.

13. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this from the next gen version?

Those aren't the rankings in the last-gen PC demo from a couple weeks ago.

14. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yep, thats what on the Demo for the 360.

Nani is an 80, Anderson an 82, Giggs 84.

15. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, that explains it.

I wonder why they'd use different ratings - and make the players' ratings lower at that.

16. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably has to do with the level of gameplay on 360 vs. PC.
    It's probably some complicated explanation.

17. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Good choice, at least for GKs.

18. BVgolski07

BVgolski07 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wasn't inbrohimovich a 94 in the 06 or 07 game? Why are the best players at only a 91? shouldn't they be somewhere around a 94 or 95. If rooney is only an 86 I can't imagine what they'll give any american.

19. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the last several years the best players have been in 88-92 range. The last really high rating I remember was Ronaldo at 99 a handful of years ago.

I imagine the highest rated American will be Donovan a bit below 80.

20. realmadrid_A10

realmadrid_A10 New Member

Sep 21, 2007
    How about Van Nisterlooy, top scorer in spain and over 30 total goals last year. Should be at least 90.

21. Del-Piero-Lampard

Del-Piero-Lampard New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    WEZZA
    Goalie - Buffon
    Defender - Cannavaro Or Terry
    Attacking Midfielders - Ronaldinho Or Messi
    Midfielder - Gerrard
    Attack - Del Piero, Shevchenko Or Henry

22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If rating players for FIFA was taken seriously then only one of those you listed would be considered as 'top' for their position, perhaps two at most.

23. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't agree with all of them, but 2 at most?

Ronaldinho and Messi are pretty damn good picks just for the AM spot. I'd also agree with Gerrard and maybe Buffon (I think picking the best GK is pretty hard to be honest).

But I'd say again, the rating numbers are just a collection of smaller values. It's not the intention to simply take the most productive player and give him the highest rating - which is why someone like Totti or RvN shouldn't get the highest rating.

24. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I agree with Buffon and Gerrard is the other possibility. The others are simply not the best in their position either in terms of talent, output or performances over this season and last. The two players you dismissed at the end of your post have a far better claim than the others on that list.

25. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dismiss them because they wouldn't necessarily get the highest grades in all the individual categories. They might get exceptional ratings at several of the main ones, but they would be considerably lacking at one or two - for example pace.

So if the equation for a ST puts high value on pace (which I believe it does) a player like RvN (despite scoring 30 goals a year) isn't going to rank as high as players who are good at everything (including pace) but don't have the world class finishing rating that RvN would likely get. If a player has high 80s and low 90s ratings at all the major categories and then a 72 pace... In the equation he's going to come out lower or level than some guys who have mid 80s ratings in a lot of skill categories and then have 90 pace. At least that's how I understand it.

Ultimately it impacts nothing and if RvN has a 95 finishing, he'll still be able to score plenty of the goals in the game just as he does in reality. He just won't have a 92 overall rating.