In Your Opinion: What was your country's most heart breaking loss?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Crazy_Yank, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me it would have to be the 2002 world cup quarter final match against Germany. We totally dominated the play. We were the better team that day. A no call goal line hand ball. We still lost 1-0 :mad:

2. chec

chec Member

Feb 9, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Nov 19th 1989.

T&T 0 USA 1

prevented us from going to our first WC.

I cried like a baby for days :eek:

3. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    i remember that game

for me...

Costa Rica 1 - 1 turkey WC 2002, we deserved to win, thanks to Winston Parks for destroying our hope

4. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a tough break for you guys, you played brilliantly in that group, losing out on GD. Brazil won, Turkey took 3rd.

As a US fan, I'll take Ghana over Germany.

I expected to lose to Germany (though I was rooting hard), to lose to Ghana (we had a chance there), on a BS PK shortly after tying the game, that sucked.

5. Titan 7

Titan 7 Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Tres Rios, CR
    Italy 1990, Chzechoslovakia 4, Costa Rica 1.

We played very good, but the Czechs did the goals. I though we were making it to quarterfinals that time. I was 15.

6. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Well at least for me:

T&T 3-2 Guatemala - Port of Spain- 2006 WCQ

We were up 2-0 and ended losing it in the last 5 minutes of the game. If we would have hold on to that lead we would have definitely have been in Germany 2006.

7. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada 1-2 Honduras
    September 6, 2008 in Montreal

After a disheartening 1-1 draw in Toronto, we NEEDED to win this home game against Honduras. We were up 1-0 after 5', but backed by raucous support, Honduras took the game.

I had believed so hard that we were a better team this cycle, and walking out of my hometown stadium after a loss, surrounded by cheering Hondurans, knowing we were out, hurt a lot.

8. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was in 7th grade when that happened. I remember watching that match because that was the day I became a die hard soccer fan.

9. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Yeah we were the better team against Turkey and the match against Brazil hurt too because the fair result would've been a tie...we played an amazing attacking game...but we ended up getting clobbered by Ronaldo and company since all our players missed some incredible chances:mad:

Another loss that i can remember that hurt was against Mexico in the 2003 Gold Cup semifinal in Azteca Stadium...we were dominating until Ricardo Gonzalez gave the game away with 2 weak goals:(

10. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May 31, 1985, Torrance, California, USA - United States 0 - 1 Costa Rica

Could have played in the final round, had a Costa Rican band at half-time, our federation fekked up on home field advantage on that one. Should have had the game far far away.

11. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Germany-US in 2002. Absolutely no doubt whatsoever.

One bad call away from going to the World Cup semifinals... It makes me sick even today.

12. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    I remember watching that game The former Chezechoslovakia scored 5 goals that day.

13. Titan 7

Titan 7 Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Tres Rios, CR
    That was a real piece of game! the US had previously tied a game in CR (Estadio Alejandro Morera, Alajuela) 1-1, Costa Rica had to win, the US with a tie qualified to the final round.

CR won and went to a final 3 team qualification, with Canada and Honduras, Canada qualified to Mexico '86

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_CONCACAF_Championship

14. Titan 7

Titan 7 Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Tres Rios, CR
    The result was 4-1, not 5-1.

15. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Ouch! Thinking about that game still brings me down. The only game that Gabelo didn't play, and doña Rotunda ate 4 goals.
    I remember when Gonzalez tied the game to one, I thought we had it. Then they scored three more on us...

Can you tell I'm still bitter about it? :mad::p:eek:

16. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    It was mine two. I was an elementary school and still remember watching it on my black & white TV. What made it worse was we were neck and neck with the Czechs and tied at 1-1, but when our keeper came out (one of the best in that entire Cup,) we conceded three.

17. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Mexico vs Bulgaria, 1994 World Cup

18. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    one of them is not country but they are the only 2 times were I consider it a heart breaking loss for me.

Mexico vs Argentina 2006 World Cup

Arsenal vs Club America In the final of Copa Sudamericana where America was 7 minutes from winning the championship

19. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone without a horse in the race (ok, i was pulling a little for Mexico), that was an awesome match. The game winning goal was breathtaking as well.

For the US, it's really between the loss to Ghana in '06 and the loss to Germany in '02. I'll go with Ghana, as I was much more bitter with that result, even though there wasn't a semi-finals berth at stake.

20. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, as far as club soccer is concerned I'd go with Arsenal vs Club America too.

21. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

this loss hurt more

22. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    saprissa 0 - 3 liverpool
    we deseved to win :D

yeah right!!!
    :(

23. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    I feel the same too because I was going for you guys that day. Tough loss.

24. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Im going to go with either when the US beat us in the World Cup or our loss against Costa Rica in el Azteca. I cried for both.

25. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Off the top of my head (and only because it was recent):

Turkey 2 - 2 Norway

Norway was up 2-0 in the 2nd half when Turkey "scored" 2 goals because the ball literally rolled through the legs of our goal keeper, Myhre.

Turkey finished 1 point ahead of Norway and qualified to Euro 2008 (going all the way to the semifinals). If Myhre closes his legs at least once, Norway qualifies instead...

The worst thing is that Turkey didn't deserve either goal. They were both shot right at the goal keeper for easy saves and instead they went through his legs... Sick.