In with the New: The Great Ownership Search

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SenordrummeR2, Aug 30, 2020.

1. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    No hope. January is too soon.

Be safe! You may want to load up on some Hazmat suits for the family.

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jealous
    very very jealous

the Governor's announcement last night was both a sign of hope and so infuriating. Hope that adults will have level heads about this and see the bigger picture. infuriating that we had to wait until the election was over to do anything with any teeth.

I am curious, boris, how the travel will be handled. As we get closer to that, keep us posted. Do you plan to return to Thailand after the trip to Utah? Does Thailand want anything to do with American travelers? I'm not sure why any country would right now

goobx1 repped this.
  3. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly the restrictions still have a lot of loopholes for stuff like sports.

I have to treat my FB feed like a comedy because of how out of touch everyone is. People crying about an emergency alert being sent out and still thinking covid is no big deal. It's insanity. All over a piece of cloth. Why aren't these same people crying about having to wear clothes in public?

BalanceUT, jessyca, goobx1 and 1 other person repped this.
  4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the world would be a better place if Facebook ceased to exist

BalanceUT, SenordrummeR2, pate and 8 others repped this.
  5. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's the rep x1000 button?

6. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently the right is going over to some other app instead of FB. Claiming it's all about free speech and no censorship, and the company is already blocking people from the left :rolleyes:

BalanceUT repped this.
  7. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    4chan?

8. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parler, most likely. Fortunately or unfortunately, the liberal pinko commie bastards here at work won't let me get to that site.

Probably best for everyone.

9. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I'm not sure that no news is good news for RSL and the new ownership search.

Should we start tagging the Don with tweets and crap?

Haven't heard anything in too long. Anyone have any good gossip or insight?

10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s my understanding that January 1 is the date the league takes over if DLH hasn’t sold it by then.

11. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a reference? I haven't heard/read anything.

12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL Soapbox latest podcast.

JLaw repped this.
  13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That article is virtually bereft of hope. I had hope, that this transition would be a positive one, but it's harder to see now from some of the points being made there. I have to tip my hat to whomever is left standing in the FO, for continuing to work to try and improve the team when (for example) it isn't clear that the Royals can order uniforms and equipment for next season.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A key point in all of this is that only MLS has stated they are going to force DLH to sell. USL and NWSL haven't said the same. There is a very real scenario where MLS steps in, finds a suitor for just RSL, and the rest are left in a limbo with the possibility of ceasing to exist being more likely than anything else.

Which presents an absolute headache for everything in the RSL umbrella. Is there a potential local group that would want to just take on RSL and be able to survive the negative press that would come with that?

16. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Nope. But a lot of out of state groups I'm sure.

17. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I said it a few times before, but I'm convinced the DLH leaves RSL in the worst shape possible for the new owner.

It seems eerily similar to some other situation I can't really think of right now....

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh, one key difference is DLH is at least willing to admit he won't be owner next season...

Otherwise, yeah, scary times on both situations. One is a dumb sport that we get overly worked up over. The other is the future of this country.

jessyca, BalanceUT, KendaReal and 4 others repped this.
  19. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Good questions and sorry for the long delay. I don't anticipate returning to Thailand but hopefully some other international posting to start next July or August. Part of the reason Thailand (and Vietnam, China, Taiwan, Singapore...and others) are quite safe right now is that they have used tracing, masks and other measures to minimize local spread and incoming flights are restricted to repatriating citizens or those with work visas or other legitimate needs. All arrivals in Thailand go immediately to designated quarantine hotels where they stay for two weeks and have a few covid tests throughout. There are now even some large tourist groups planning to enter under these conditions...not bad if the quarantine hotel is on the beautiful beach in Phuket and then unrestricted travel after that.

My daughter lives in the Netherlands and travel in the EU is even getting tricky with returns from some areas requiring quarantines or other measures. Recent vaccine news seems promising that by the time schools start again in August 2021 we should be back to pretty sane levels of caution/response.

But the real question, who in the hell is going to purchase RSL? Seriously, are there any viable buyers out there that aren't just hopes or daydreams from the fans?

Lizzie Bee, RSLer, goobx1 and 1 other person repped this.
  20. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Ryan Smith was viable, but DLH is such an asshole that he went ahead and bought a majority stake in the Jazz to spite him. It will remain to be seen how good of an owner he would have been.

Other than that, nobody is gonna buy this thing from Del Loy. They'll all wait for him to hand over the reigns to MLS. MLS might split apart the various business groups. It'll be weird. If the RSL franchise stays in Utah, then it is going to be until at least 2023 before the team is exciting. We really did just step back to 2006, but with a stadium.

SenordrummeR2 and boris9678 repped this.
  21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    DrownedElf, goobx1 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  23. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Gang Buys A Football Club

jessyca, acima, rslfanboy and 2 others repped this.
  24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to pile on the despair, but The Athletic published a very good (and very long) article about Chivas USA a little while back. There are a lot of scary similarities to that team at their deathbed and our club. That is likely due to me reading far too much into our situation vs theirs. The parallels of the club, given our entrance to the league at the same time, are scary to read into. There is a lot there, there is also a lot of very very different situations.

So ... yeah, shit ain't great.

RSLer and goobx1 repped this.
  25. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    If our club folds and gets moved to a different city, can we start calling the 2005 Expansion the 'Cursed Expansion'?

BalanceUT and 15 to 32 repped this.