In with the New: The Great Ownership Search

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SenordrummeR2, Aug 30, 2020.

1. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hurray. This makes me wonder who is left from "Utah Soccer" that is making these announcements. "Utah Soccer prioritizes gender equality and has worked diligently to support and empower women both on and off the field". Really? Because I thought DLH and Carroll was Utah Soccer.

15 to 32 repped this.
  2. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  3. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I think the other alleged bad apple is Zarkos, which was at least partially revealed during the Petke drama.

rslfanboy repped this.
  4. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    This is just going swimmingly.

I mean that sincerely.

With any luck we end up with a dynamic, committed, and decent ownership group and return the passion and glory to RSL.

It can’t be worse, right?

RSLer, rslfanboy and Ismitje repped this.
  5. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, provided the club stays here.

15 to 32 and Ismitje repped this.
  6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where I am at too. We got all of the expansive investment a developer could possibly do with the club, and now we ought to get committed soccer people. It's an amazing opportunity. I have to remind myself lots of people had shitty things happen to them for us to be here.

BalanceUT, Allez RSL, acima and 2 others repped this.
  7. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Important to note: Andy Williams is who made this happen. He'd said things over the years, among others. But, nobody was willing to put their name to the observations. So, no stories could be written. Our RSL Original, Andy, put his reputation on the line and said: This is what I saw, quote by name is OK.

Andy was laid off and disrespected. Andy made Hansen pay for the disrespect.

jessyca, Lizzie Bee, RSLer and 3 others repped this.
  8. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy shnikeys. Another Athletic article that is worth the price of admission. Dear Leader did a good job playing the caring grandpa part while shaking hands with fans at games, but he and Andy Carrol can go take a long walk off a short pier. Freaking scumbags. Nobody should have to work in those toxic conditions.

https://theathletic.com/2037881/202...ake-utah-royals-dell-loy-hansen-andy-carroll/

And then RSL puts out this statement. That second line makes it seem like Andy proofed the statement before issuing:

9. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While part of me hopes that DLH can look inwards and better himself, I truly believe he won't. He's well past any development years. He is what he is. He's a racist, misogynistic, piece of shit. Made his money off of scrimping at every venue. He can rightly ******** off.

As for RSL? Sure, he paid to improve some of the infrastructure, but it seems to be clearly at the cost of attendance. He wants butts in the seats and buying concessions. He's cheaped out at any higher priced signing that could improve the club, and actually make those people want to attend. He's always been about the bottom line. You don't become a billionaire any other way.

What's stupid is this could've been his pet project. Throw money at a team and make them the best they could be. He's clearly got the money for it. It wouldn't really hurt his bottom line. But throughout all this pandemic we could see his true colors. It's all about the money. Screw paying employees when they were furloughed. Other players had to pick up that tab. After the game was cancelled, he had to lament about firing another 40-50 employees, instead of just paying them for that day.

Sincerely DLH, ******** off. The world is better without you.

15 to 32 repped this.
  10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His pet project is rare coin collecting. RSL was a means to create new building projects and to show off to friends, “Hey, see what I own?”. And, finally, he doesn’t feel bad about any of his racist, sexist and Mean Boss actions other than the hit to his public persona. When he says he’s sorry, he means he’s sorry all of this got out. As for the “almost had tears” act, I’ve witnessed him go into fast and testimony mode before. He’s really good at it and he knows that it resonates.

Was that paragraph totally judgmental? You bet! He gets no benefit of the doubt from me.

goobx1 repped this.
  11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's the actual tagline. It's from the RSLShow guys.
    We were here before DLH, we'll be here after DLH

12. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cRapids owners could buy RSL. Are you trying to tempt the evil karma of the soccer gods? [emoji24]

jessyca, SenordrummeR2 and goobx1 repped this.
  13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are pros and cons to each of those two ownership groups. I'd rather have neither, but if I'm picking my poison I'll take an uninterested owner over a sleezebag. Though... Kroenke isn't exactly a beaming light in this regard.

14. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Absolutely not! I just hope the soccer gods stay busy with more important things like Neymar getting COVID. Or Messi getting paroled from Barca and other stuff.

Now if the Miller family gets to buy RSL then yea, I will be truly sorry for alerting the soccer gods to our peril and circumstance.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so I bemoaned the fact that our roster is completely full, but given this shit show of things going on that might actually be to our favor. Its very doubtful we would have brought anyone in, during all of this, so a body is better than a vacant space. Further, Del Loy is on the hook financially so I'm happy about that.

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I gotta get this off my chest. Luckily, I haven't seen anyone on here posting this utter bullshit, but there are folks on other mediums saying that this "cancel culture" has gone too far and DLH is yet another victim.

I'm ********ing sick of this attitude.

2020 has been a lot of things, but I think top of that list is that it has been revealing. Covid has shown how little folks care for another. The racial tensions have shown how deep seated racism is. Politics have shown how little people are willing to educate themselves and/or care for facts. It's all revealing of what people are, deep down, and we live in a world where anyone can be afforded a platform, whether or not they "deserve" one, or not.

Further, this shit with DLH has shown even more how little this state values labor. The amount of "go do your job and kick the ball" responses to the players not playing the game last week (holy hell that was a week ago, that feels ages ago...) is nauseating. For a community that says it places value in things like family, community, and compassion, those all seem to disappear in business settings. As a son of a public school teacher, I knew this state already loved to shit on anyone in a public service position, but the limits of that "shitting" seems to have no end.

The number of "rich cry baby millionaire" responses just baffles me. I really really really hope all these folks upset with how DLH is having to go leave themselves. This club will be better without them.

georg, boris9678, SenordrummeR2 and 7 others repped this.
  17. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hells yes to everything @15 to 32 just said.

[emoji91][emoji91][emoji91][emoji91][emoji91]

RSLer repped this.
  18. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    This is the entire KSL comment section on the RSL articles. I really hope they represent a minority of the fanbase but I just don't know. Also none of them seem to be following the story, a huge majority of these people seem to think he's being forced out based on his Radio comments. It's like they're completely oblivious to the racist and toxic culture in the RSL front office.

15 to 32 repped this.
  19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, does the rest come to light without the radio comments? Honestly, that part just does not sit well with me. And while, obviously, he is not getting pushed out for those comments alone, they are the catalyst of this thing.

I'm not excusing KSL commentators. They seem to be a truly awful bunch. But there is something to be said for the size of the straw was the broke this camels back in comparison to the rest of it.

goobx1 repped this.
  20. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #70 RSLer, Sep 2, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    It’s been eye-opening on so many fronts. The racism isn’t surprising to me. I grew up in a region with rampant racism. I know exactly what motivates a majority of his support. The sexism doesn’t either. In an executive meeting in Utah to discuss the distribution of bonuses I observed a State department Commissioner say “John (not real name) will get $2,000 because he has a family to support. Mary will get $500.” Mary was a single mother. It’s the inability of so many people to think for themselves and their willingness to respond in fear to made up enemies that is one of the surprises (there are other surprises but I’ll spare you all). In many ways we aren’t very different from the villagers who float-tested ‘witches’ or burned scientists at the stake.

15 to 32 and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  21. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I've wondered about. How can a company with such an awful environment stay viable? It amazes me how many were/are willing to put up with that kind of crap.

goobx1, Lizzie Bee and RSLer repped this.
  22. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same forces that fuel the environment also bury the dissident.

23. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today’s RSL SHOW was good. Trey Fitzgerald was the whole show.

SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  24. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said something like this a couple of times today, in the context of a business that is looking at CoVid as potentially destroying it's future.

CoVid has been a crucible to burn away the outer shell of organizations that lack a solid foundational structure.

Interesting to me is it may be that MLS survives this, suggesting something we've hoped is true, that Garber has lead this league to becoming substantial, inside and out.

25. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Larry H Miller Group will be coming in. They have 'loaned' a former RSLer who works for them to be interim President for RSL. That's... um... unusual sounding to me.