In with the New: The Great Ownership Search

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SenordrummeR2, Aug 30, 2020.

1. RSL Wonderbra

RSL Wonderbra Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Any news about new ownership?...

*crickets chirping*

So, big gulps eh? Well, see ya later...

*crickets chirping*

SenordrummeR2, 15 to 32 and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  2. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

We should know more in 60 - 90 days.

DrownedElf, 15 to 32 and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  3. RSL Wonderbra

RSL Wonderbra Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Is that a hint that we know something?

the cup repped this.
  4. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's kind of the opposite, maybe?

the cup and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  5. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the cup and rslfanboy repped this.
  6. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    the cup repped this.
  7. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Garber is "bullish on prospects of the future."

That of course doesn't mean much coming from Garber.

He also said, "In Salt Lake, we've been working hard with local investors and there has been a lot of momentum and activity there to see who might come together to try to purchase that team,"

Again, words and phrases like "working hard", "momentum", "might come together", "try to purchase" are quite vague.

BalanceUT repped this.
  8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they mean by the end of the school year in June? No? Okay.

Allez RSL, RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  10. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wood may end up with RSL as early as our season opener in a couple weeks. Hamburg have terminated his contract, and Wood is said to be heading to Utah.

Allez RSL repped this.
  11. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was waiting until his baby was born. That was the driving factor of the June timeline.

RSLer repped this.
  12. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to RSL Soapbox, he is headed to Denmark first for the birth and then heading straight to SLC in the next two weeks.

SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this his first child? This sounds like a first child decision in that he thinks leaving that shortly thereafter isn't a bad idea. This is a bad idea. Either get the whole family into SLC and have the baby here, or be with your wife for at least a month if she is having to stay in Denmark.

Edit: According to the ESPN article, this is their second child
    "On Tuesday, local outlet Hamburger Morgenpost reported that Wood will first travel to Copenhagen in Denmark where his wife his due to give birth to their second daughter.
    The attacker will then head to the United States and join Real Salt Lake ahead of their season opener against Minnesota United FC on April 25."

Still not in love with the idea if his wife is stuck in Denmark, but you do you Bobby

14. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

15. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Well, if they have family in Denmark, then they'll be fine. Not everyone is so committed to a nuclear family being on its own like we are in the US.

15 to 32 repped this.
  16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, didn't realize his wife (according to outlets) is Danish so should have a support network there. I still wouldn't count on Wood being a contributor until the second phase of games, though. Just doesn't align with the timing

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Short article in The Athletic from Sam Stejskal about the state of the sale, which includes this probably very apt observation:

"On the surface, it would seem to be prudent for any interested owner to wait before finalizing any transaction. Though it will open Rio Tinto Stadium to fans at near 50 percent stadium capacity to begin the season, RSL, which was often profitable in the years leading up to the pandemic, won’t be able to bring in a normal amount of revenue in 2021 due to COVID-19 restrictions. Taking over towards the end of or after the 2021 season would allow any new owner to avoid most of the costs associated with running a team during the pandemic and could drive down the final price of RSL."

Allez RSL repped this.
  18. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I guess that's a reason. Not sure that "the sale will be delayed because owning the team will be a massive financial burden" is making me feel a lot better, though.

19. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    This is way overstated. First of all, the owners took measures via invoking force majeure to hold the line on costs in anticipation of the early part of this season being at restricted attendance. But I'm guessing RSL will have 4 or 5 home games at 10K attendance limits. The reality is I think this team pulls 12-14K without restrictions. So in June/early July when full attendance is allowed it will be a decent bump but without unexpected early season success, I don't see RSL pulling regular sellouts (unless there are fireworks).

What's gonna turn things around both competitively and financially is adding a new owner to steer the ship in the right direction. A prospective owner taking a strategy of waiting until late in the season, avoiding operating losses for the year, and also maybe getting a bargain deal is a silly one. Yes, they may get a "deal", but they're also going to get a much more damaged product (and market) and they're going to spend whatever they save in the short-run in an effort to rebuild all of that.

Generally a fan of what the Athletic puts out, but this article just didn't make much sense to me.

15 to 32 and Allez RSL repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    potential owners who are billionaires bemoaning maybe a couple million dollar loss with this club is not the type of owner we want. I mean how penny wise pound foolish could you be. I maybe can understand the negotiation tactic of waiting and getting the league to lower the asking price, but that assume the value of the league/club isn't going to quickly recover post restrictions.

That also runs the risk of a timeline where the league doesn't have such a strong position of the team having to stay in SLC. This isn't mentioned in the article, but it's not hard to argue that the longer the league has to operate the team, the less likely they're going to stand on said team being in one of the smallest metro's the league has a team in.

21. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ That. When the stadium was built I bought tickets on principle. The management team made STHs feel like owners. They shared plans, they listened, yeah, it may have been token gestures but it felt like we were investing in Soccer in Utah, and I was totally down with that.

I'm not interested in going to an arena to experience over kill - flashing lights, loud noises, and an abundance of low-grade swill. I support excellence.

When the team is well-managed, people will notice. When the play is fabulous, people will watch. When the leadership is principled, people will support the franchise.

To see an example of this happening right now - look at what's happened with the Jazz - Team Chemistry, Positive News, Dwayne Wade buying in - all in part because the ownership group is principled. Ryan Smith not just talking about improving equity in America - but giving scholarships to disadvantaged students of color - is more than lip service. It's a form of leadership and it's changing the Utah narrative. This is the exact same angle he and others took with the Silicon Slopes front - fighting the same stigmatism associated with the same state.

My sincere hope is that the next ownership group will be investing in Soccer in Utah. If they do that, they'll be competitive...and I'll return as a STH and make the 5 minute drive to see the games.

Lizzie Bee, jessyca, DrownedElf and 3 others repped this.
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soapbox article says there are six(?!) possible suitors

It's kind of strange, because the means of making this (significant) announcement was through the Fan Council Meeting held on Reddit. That doesn't sound like the most formal of settings to make such a big claim, but what do I know.

Though, the follow up as to what is holding back any of those suitors from making the purchase raised some critical eyebrow. "All are waiting to see how the fans respond to home games - attendance, adherence to the covid rules regarding masks/food areas, etc.. before making their decisions"

That's... a reason, I guess. But when you're weighing the decision to spend roughly $300 million I think the gameday adherence is a bit of pinching those pennies.

Allez RSL and goobx1 repped this.
  23. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adherence is pretty good. The biggest problem I can see is that there are many seating situations where people are in seats directly behind occupied seats. I wouldn’t want to sit here for 2 hours with someone in the seat behind me breathing in my direction. I also see a few masks worn below the chin... but it’s not prevalent.

Allez RSL repped this.
  24. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    If there are really 6 potential owners in the mix, does a fast start for RSL seal the deal?

Med_Phys, Allez RSL and goobx1 repped this.
  25. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'd be impressed with what the club/organization has accomplished with minimal resources from an absentee owner. Think what they could do with median level resources. Maybe the analogy we've heard about the Crew isn't as crazy as it sounded?

rslfanboy repped this.