In with the new - Summer 2019 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 1, 2019.

1. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    If you had told me 3 months we would be two games in, without our first choice defense playing and only conceded one goal due to an iffy deflection, I would have cried tears of joy.

TitoTata and maskito repped this.
  2. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Imagine when the new players have settled in !!

And_ROOS repped this.
  3. maskito

maskito Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any new rumors about Mustafi or Elneny getting sold before the other league windows close? It's been pretty quiet about any transfers out of the club since the League started.

4. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last I heard...

El Neny (week + old) was headed to Galatasary on loan
    Mustafi (this morning) could be headed to Roma for a loan (100% salary covered) with an option to buy (18-23m GBP)

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can only PRAY!!!

maskito repped this.
  6. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    The 18-20m is what we are paying them to keep him.

7. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mustafi exit 95% off.
    Rugani to Roma, might be free loan + option to buy because Riccardi will be sent to Juve.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess there's a teeny tiny part of me that wouldn't mind having Mustafi in our squad this year.

Like if Holding is delayed on making it back, or he comes back in worse form than he was before. And Sokratis keeps earning suspensions. And we lose Luiz to injury. And we never see Mavropanos play in our shirt again. So we're down to Chambers, Monreal & Medley.

Then I guess having Mustafi in that situation could be slightly useful.

OTOH, sell or loan the dude... now!! ;)

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was just reading a MetroUK article about (hopefully) offloading Mustafi and I see this picture of Josh and Unai:

GettyImages-1162012061.jpg

Seriously? Do you not own an Arsenal T-shirt? Was it difficult finding one laying around the training ground? I swear this isn't the first time I've seen a pic of him wearing LA Rams crap at Arsenal either.

11. maskito

maskito Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It must be a slow news days at the Arsenal if this is what we're talking about. In many ways, I guess that's a good thing.

So if Josh had shown up wearing a regular suit, or a button-down shirt and pants, would you say the same about not wearing Arsenal gear? While I'm no fan of the Rams, I'm seeing this as a non-issue.

Personally, I do see your point to some extent because we probably approach clothing the same way. I nerd out about my clothes (quality, fit, fabric, etc), and plan what I'm going to wear each day for the people and activities I'll be doing. Yet I know most people don't do what I do, and just grab whatever is available. My guess is that Josh falls into the category different than you and I.

That's not an attractive T-shirt by any standard, and it also looks to be 100% cotton, which is a pretty cheap material. He can obviously afford much better, and could easily have a better fitting shirt with a better graphic using far better quality fabric. So I'm inclined to think Josh doesn't care as much for what he wears, and just puts on what's laying around without much thought.

12. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    You didn't even touch on the red pants/hiking shorts? (they definately aren't athletic shorts). That may be his tribute to Arsenal, but it's not a good look.

maskito and Shen-O repped this.
  13. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d rather critique their sunglasses, with their dough, they should really be doing better.

I’m not a watch man, so I won’t go there.

14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Let's not even start on the hair

Super Llama repped this.
  15. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just occurred to me that Josh probably grew up shopping at Walmart. The shirt makes a lot more sense now.

maskito, casoccerdad47 and NorthBank repped this.
  16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good one!

It looks like a lot of my shirts. I hate polyester or cotton/poly blends, so virtually 100% of my collection is 100% cotton. And so they shrink... sometimes ending up looking a little like Josh's... a little on the small/short side.

As for the rest, maybe he was doing a little bit of touring (maybe a family vaca?) and that just happened to be what he had on, when he decided to stop by Arsenal's training. (First I assumed it was Colney, but then I looked closer and decided it was probably pre-season training in USA... maybe LA?)

That said, the look is not good. It makes you think that RAMS are #1 for Kroenkes and ARSENAL are a distant #2... at best. And you know what, that's gotta be the case. But still, from a political POV he would do well to play down the NFL/Ram stuff when he's doing his AFC business.

17. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Tbh I always found me really wealthy clients, were just too cheap to dress or were so social uninvolved they didn't know what to wear in certain situations.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  18. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2193 ArsenalJake, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  19. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s no question.

The real estate money came from strips anchored by Walmarts.

Fifty and ArsenalJake repped this.
  20. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I went to Mizzou the same years as Josh from 99-03. He was an unathletic guard with descent size who would come off the bench and hit some 3's. One year he had a concussion and sat out the entire season. I don't have any interesting stories - I wasn't going to the same parties as a billionare/athlete. I saw him driving his Escalade through campus one time, that's about it.

You could see their mansion at the top of a hill behind my apartment. Stan has a brother-in-law, Bill Laurie, who also married a Walton and lived in Columbia.

thebigman, mebeSajid and maskito repped this.
  21. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mustafi —> Roma might be back on.

Juve wanted Riccardi AND Celar as part of the deal. I think Roma officially pulled the plug.

22. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The G has quotes today of Emery telling Ninny and Moz to get to fack

Clearly we have not been successful in selling them so now they are told to piss off or not play

23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He looks like sort of guy who just shoots 3s and avoids contact

24. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing some reports this morning that Nacho may be headed back to Spain. Claims that Sociedad has made a bid and Nacho (and his family) are keen. Arsenal are said to be reluctant due to injuries at both LB & RB but may ultimately let him go if he wishes.

25. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All right, I realize I'm the one who derailed this whole thread by making statements about how somebody 'looks', so I suppose I should attempt to end it.

But before I do, I'll just say one should never judge a book by it's cover, because if I did that, I would've thought Hector Bellerin was a gigolo and not the best Right Back in the Premier League!

OK! so back to finding Mustafi a new club where the poor boy can get a fresh start and play in a league more suited to his skills/pace/whatever. It's a win win for everyone, right? You would think this sort of situation would motivate the player to find a new opportunity, go where they are needed/wanted, and not sit around and languish. But I recall we were in this same situation not long ago with Squillaci. Now maybe he was past his prime and wasn't going to give up his hefty wadges, but I really hope Mustafi isn't gonna go this route and stay just to get paid. Seems contrary to what a 27 year old German who won a World Cup would do.