In with the new - Summer 2019 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

Why would they? Even other European leagues with similar season timing have different windows, let alone the summer-centric leagues in colder climes.

For reference, MLS's primary window this year closes on May 7, and a second window runs from July 9-August 9.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. Learning something new.

Honestly I thought most of the world was aligned with the European transfer windows. And the justification (I thought) was that it made deal-making just much simpler & easier if everyone's on the same page. Obviously the leagues whose calendars don't align with the main European leauges are at a little disadvantage, but I thought that's just the way the footy world worked because of Euro-domination.

So what's puzzling me most about the MLS transfer windows is that there isn't any overlap with European January window??? That makes no sense. January is off-season for MLS... why would they not want to maximize their ability to do trades, and to do them quickly in January if the other parties need to work quickly?

I stand at the ready... for more education. ;)

3. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Given our budget if we aren't tapping up Alderweireld... well I don't know what to think.

4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If that happens, we need to bring back Wenger just to repeat the press conference.

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm very much a pessimist when it comes to assessing how one of the teams I support is going to do. But I have never been so sure of something as I was Arsenal winning the league when we announced the Sol signing. Still vividly recall being ecstatic about it.

6. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that Spurs picked up an option to prevent him from being a FA this summer. Also believe that I read there is a clause in the option that says he can NOT be sold to Arsenal.

7. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some rumors floating around that Monchi has agreed a deal to return to Sevilla and that Overmars wants our job.

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My only disappointment with the news is that it means Arsenal are proverbially back to square one in that search. More time lost.

10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    daedalus, thebigman, banco and 3 others repped this.
  11. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Assuming the club were even going for him and not someone else thats still a mystery.

12. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except we don’t even know for certain that we were pursuing his appointment, let alone counting on it.

That’s not to say I have confidence in our leadership having a plan, or especially in them getting it right, but Monchi going to Sevilla shouldn’t have any bearing one way or the other.

13. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading that the tech director position was a 3 man race between Monchi, Overmars & Steve Morrow. Morrow is Arsenal's current head of youth scouting and has been part of Arsenal's youth setup for over a decade. Overmars is said to be interested in the position but the decision ultimately comes down to which guy gets along best with Raul and shares his vision for building the future of Arsenal.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Morrow doesn't strike me as an amazing person for this job. But more than anything else I think if we don't get someone in to perform that role very soon we may be shooting ourselves in the foot for the summer window, and will speak volumes about our board. Unless of course we can assume that Raul can work magic largely on his own.

15. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Hilarious that having fapped heavily over Monchi for weeks, Le Grove now thinks he is a loser

Arsenal ITK is so crap

DaPrince84 repped this.
  16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    yossarian repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  18. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now there are reports that Overmars has extended his contract at Ajax

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds about right. Wouldn't be surprised if we get our 3rd choice candidate for Technical Director. Or 4th or 5th choice. That's what I was alluding to when I said "could speak volumes about our board" above.

20. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope the "3-man race" article was wrong. Don't want to promote Morrow just because the other 2 bailed.

21. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any interest in Manolas? Evidently he has a clause in his contract that gives him a 31M GBP release clause if they do not qualify for CL. Roma is currently 4 pts out of qualification with 10 games remaining, 3 of those 10 games are against teams currently in the top 4 and they have 3 teams chasing them that are all within 3 pts.

ManU is said to be interested but it's possible they don't qualify either. CL plus the opportunity to play with his countryman may be enticing for him.

22. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New name surfacing in technical/sporting director role... Inter Milan sporting director Piero Ausilio

23. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #198 chjoak, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Claims that we are looking to offload Ozil, Miki, ElNeny, Chambers & Mustafi this summer. No surprising names.

Ornstein claiming that we are likely looking at atleast 5 new signings in the summer. The 5 specific positions he mentions are LB, RB (cover for Bellerin), CM (Ramsey replacement), Wing, GK (Cech replacement). Hopefully we have plans to grab a CB as well.

24. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that’s bs rumour

25. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was great...until he traded Zaniolo and 20m for Radja.