In with the new - Summer 2019 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 1, 2019.

1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Idk, but we should have been.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I was hopeful Sven would help us get players like him

3. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Arsenal is a selling club, but that's not really the point.

If we are talking about targets, I'd prefer to go for good players who are a few years younger. You get players entering their prime and who can retain value - if you need to sell. Just a difference in strategy.

fari repped this.
  4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, but we screwed that up.

We’re going to finish tenth next year and arteta will be managing man city when Guardiola will be moving to juve

5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    LOL

I actually doubt Pep will go to Juve

I think City is his last club role

6. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I summarized it on the last page:

"Arsenal have 10 players, including loan players 24 and younger, 6 players 29 and older and seven players between the ages of 25 and 28. This last group includes, Lacazette, Mustafi, Kolasinac, Jenkinson, Xhaka, Elneny, and Leno."

So if you look at the talent in each of the groups, instead of a pyramid based on a foundation of young players with potential and good players in their prime, Arsenal have an hour glass of good players entering the final stages of their careers and young players with the potential to become good to very good players with a number of players with holes in their games between the two extremes.

7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why are we in for Ryan Fraser? What are we smoking?

cantona94, Super Llama and yossarian repped this.
  8. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see how he might fit the mold of a player Emery would like on the wing (pacey, hard working, box to box player, good crosses) but i seriously question whether he could really make us better and/or belongs on a top 6 club as anything other than a squad player. Might be less critical if he was atleast HG.

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fraser is better than what we have but we can do better

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least an hourglass is better than an upside down pyramid. ;)

11. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Links to Mario Hermoso have been picking up considerably in the last couple of days. He is said to have a 30-40m release clause but is thought to be obtainable at 17-18m.

12. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #612 casoccerdad47, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Where does Reiss Nelson fit in the discussion of wide forwards. He had a decent loan at Hoffenheim, where he continued to show a boatload of potential. While he's not yet a complete player, he will be a year older next season. I know I'll be accused of sounding like Wenger, but wouldn't buying Frasier help block Nelson's integration into the first team. I'm not catagorically opposed to buying a wing, but I'd be looking at players like Ziyech or Neres at Ajax, or Pavon, not Frasier

fari repped this.
  13. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    True. But when all the sand runs out of the top half, the bottom half lacks veteran leadership.

NorthBank repped this.
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't watched Nelson at Hoffenheim, but it sounds like he had a decent spell with them, but not quite Sancho grade. Still I'd gotta figure they're giving serious thought to bringing him back. Dependent on who we might buy new at his position.

There are quite a lot of moving parts. Not least of which is that we won't know our full budget until after the Baku result.

15. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fraser would be incredibly stupid.

mebeSajid repped this.
  16. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We also are apparently relying on a manager with an at best indeterminate history of talent evaluation for our plans this summer.

17. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And for that £30 million price tag I'm seeing? GTFOH!

18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Thanks!

For me this is the often overlooked damage of late phase Wumger

in calendar year 2013 we had the best performing team in the EPL

by 2017, he had really done a lot of damage, especially through inaction on the squad, or by poor cornerstone acquisitions.

Alexis really stands out as a good buy, but its really noticeable how little we actually invested in solid quality until 17/18

Now we pay for it because the likes of Xhaka and Mustafi aren't good enough, Ramsey is gone. Wilshere failed, Ox was sold etc

The new heartbeat of the midfield are 23 and 19

19. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Smokin' Ryan Fraser!

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word seems to be that Edu is coming in as TD, but not until July, after Copa America. Arseblog an others think that therefore he won't have an impact until next January's transfer window. I hope that's not entirely true, but I think we have to be realistic that any business we do in July will be largely in the hands of Raul and his cadre.

Also, on today's Arsecast the figure of 40-50MM was thrown out, as what extra funds we should expect if we win the EL and therefore qualify for CL. Can anyone who's better versed than I am in the finances of CL, corroborate that?

fari repped this.
  21. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume the majority of our summer business will be done without a TD. Between Edu likely not arriving until July/Aug and Raul stating that he , Emery , et al already have a plan in place and have begun speaking to the guys they want.

Earlier in the season Ornstein responded to rumors of a 40-50m summer budget stating that the number would be closer to 100m if we made CL.

22. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah this. Right now our squad reminds of the last couple years of RVP. One phenomenal goalscoring talent papering over a bunch of holes in the squad.

That means, for the next couple years, the squad strategy seems pretty clear: backfill the holes in the squad with young new signings and academy players, and see how they turn out. In the meantime we are still competitive with superior finishing.

That's why I'm not as negative on Ryan Fraser as some. We need basically 5-6 players, costing maybe 5-25MM GBP per, probably a lot of them from South America or maybe Spain or France, bearing in mind of creating a squad that always has legitimate options. Last year, after Holding and Ramsey were injured, we found ourselves in a lot of situations where we didn't have any good options in defense or midfield (and sometimes winger too).

Ryan Fraser is fine for me, depending on how much he costs and who else get. I saw one of those octogon spiderweb things which supposedly demonstrates that his dribbling isn't good enough. It just seems too pedantic for me. He's not Eden Hazard, but he looks fine on the dribble whenever I've seen him. More to the point, we can't be too heavily invested in the lack of capabilities in one player. We're significantly more than one player away from winning the League anyway.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #623 NorthBank, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Don't know much about Ryan Fraser other than knowing he plays in the EPL for Bournemouth. So I looked him up to find he's a Scot.

And so, if we sign him and he presumably makes it into our first team ;) then he would probably be the first Scot to do that since Charlie Nicolas in the 80's! And before that Willie Young & George Graham.

So I say sign him up! We've dissed the Scots for too damn long now.

p.s. And while they're at it, they should sign an Irishman! Those guys figured so prominently in the 70's and I don't think we've seen one since!

I think I just channeled @BIGHMW on this post. :laugh:

24. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd be impressed if we're going out and getting players like Palacios, Saliba, and/or Martinelli, but less so if we're going for players like Fraser

fari and banco repped this.
  25. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    If Fraser was in the squad now, would he start in Baku? I think the Arsecast talked about this, as long as your best lineup includes two strikers, how does spending big on a winger make sense?

He has one year left on his deal, I don't see how Bournemouth have the leverage to ask for 30m. Wasn't 30m being thrown around for Ramsey last summer? Seems like this report is wishful thinking on Bournemouth's behalf.

fari repped this.