In with the new - Summer 2019 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 1, 2019.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    LOL

It is amazing though that he was our big January move

What a waste of money

wanye_stirrear and Super Llama repped this.
  2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ramsey is not replaceable with our budget

3. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I respectfully disagree.

While Ramsey shows flashes he has inherent flaws within most systems that have defined roles. The biggest issue, he has no real position. He refuses to track back as much as he should and pushes far to high to play as a #8, he isn't creative enough to be a #10, he isn't fast enough for the wing or willing to stay wide and while he scores some nice goals his finishing isn't good enough for a SS or ST role.

I think Emery was excited about Ramsey. He had a vision of a guy that could be both an 8 or 10 within his system. After a few weeks/games he realized his vision was wrong. Like Ozil, Ramsey can be exceptional for us against the right competition. But against the wrong competition he can hang us.

I honestly think we can find guys that will fit the mold. I've pointed out one example on here before... Pablo Fornals. 23 yo, can play a creative 8 or a pressing 10 and it is rumored that he a release clause of 20-22m euro.

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think the notion is that "A player of Ramsey's price range and/or noteriety is likely too expensive for Arsenal, especially if the club doesn't make the CL." So if Emery and co. intend to replace him they'll need to do so with an off-brand version.

5. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    You don't appear to have been watching the games when Ramsey, under Emery has played as an 8. He has been tracking back defensively and picking up the ball from the defense when Arsenal win the ball back. When playing as the 10 under Emery, i.e. most of the games he has played this year, his role has been different. The 10 is critical to Emery's press. I have said it before, and his role as the 8 under Emery has convinced me I was right, when playing as the 8 under Wenger, Ramsey was doing exactly what Wenger expected of him.

Serengeti_Boy and Tonerl repped this.
  6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ramsey has played well as an 8 this year with torreira xhaka or guen and ozil ahead

7. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bullshit. When given a job he always does it. Outside of the injuries, his problems were always when he was given a free role.

Serengeti_Boy and mebeSajid repped this.
  8. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    We really need some wingers to replace Mhiki and Welbz. We need creativity for our CFs. Hope it comes in form of Ismaila Sarr. He is seriously a baller.

9. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just have a funny feeling that someone will make a ridiculous offer to pry either PEA or Lacazette away from Arsenal. Both want to be the main striker and they're going to need the money to fund other needs during the summer.

10. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Who would you keep? Lol. I think they're around for another year together but after that one will have to go. It's unsustainable just like the Benzema and Higuain situation and (I suspect) Kane and Son across the neighbourhood.

11. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juuuuuuuuuuuust have this feeling that with all the money flying around Europe someone like PSG's going to throw a stack of cash Arsenal's way if it means getting Laca or PEA. All the more so if they let Mbappe go to Real (which I seriously doubt, even Real have their limits).

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    PEA won't be moving and is already 29

13. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    You have a point on this summer. It's gonna be busy. Many failed big clubs like United, Chelsea, PSG, Madrid, Juve will be on the hunt. There will be a domino effect .

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Please sell mozzer and ninny

15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume Mozzer = Mustafi? I'm never quite sure with all your nicknames.

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    yep - I think I explained this one before.

"Having a Moz or a Mozzer" was a kiwi-ism for screwing up when I was in London

17. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only known it as a nickname for Morrissey. But yes, both should be sold, although I imagine we won't get much for either.

18. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will likely be Laca. Given his age and Emery's penchant to sub him off most matches. Emery greatly prefers a single ST anyway. I could see us selling Laca to PSG or Atletico and using the cash to get a younger target ST (Wesley???) and a scoring RW with some pace.

19. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Lacazette's all around game is better than Aubameyang's (his hold up play is better and as a consequence, he leads the team in assists), he's also two years younger, so if Arsenal are only gong to keep one I would rather they keep Lacazette.

Shen-O repped this.
  20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Auba, as much as he's co-leader in the golden boot, is a bit too one-dimensional. But overall I'm pretty happy with both, and if I had my druthers I'd make not changes in CF this summer and focus on defenders & midfielders.

21. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. If he were dead set on selling one I'd rather sell PAE and add a scoring RW like Florian Thauvin (56 goals in 3 seasons). However given his age I think PAE would get us less cash and I think Laca may be more frustrated (very seldom gets a full 90) and willing to move.

22. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have a feeling that selling one is going to be how we fund some of our improvements. The kicker there is that if one is sold another ST will have to be purchased.

23. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its shocking how poor Auba is with the ball at his feet, let alone out wide with it. He has zero creativity to be pushed out wide

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If we get half of the 30 mill we dropped on mustafi I would be happy

Let’s offer him and el neney for 20 mill

25. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PAE is a weird case. He does not have the typical skillsets of a lone ST. He has speed, makes good runs but is not good and creating for himself or others. He seems like he would be a good scoring winger but his passing, dribbling, etc... are not good enough to be a reliable winger.

That said, I think he can be effective as a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 ST as long as his wingers can deliver in solid balls and atleast one can make strong runs behind to take some of the pressure off him.